Danish Refugee Council, one of the world’s leading humanitarian NGOs, is seeking a highly experienced Country Director eager to lead the organization’s Sudan country program. In a context characterized by ongoing humanitarian challenges as well as new opportunities for engagement, strong candidates must have the ability to lead the development and implementation of a programmatic and operational strategy that is responsive, impactful and forward-thinking. Competitive candidates will have a combined skillset with which to solve complex operational and programmatic challenges, to deliver effective strategic approaches, to lead, represent and ensure comprehensive safety management across the operation. The Country Director is ultimately accountable for all aspects of DRC’s work in Sudan and as such must demonstrate integrity and principle in their daily work.
About the job
Your main duties and responsibilities will be:
Leadership and Management:
- Manage the country operation’s Head of Program, Head of Support Services, Area Managers, Consortium Manager and Safety Coordinator, and ensure each position has clearly defined and achievable objectives. This responsibility entails coaching and staff development and promoting frequent and constructive coordination between departments and teams.
- Provide overall leadership to the country operation by demonstrating integrity and by promoting a culture of accountability and respect. This entails frequent travel to field locations and regular interactions with staff, beneficiaries and other key stakeholders.
- Ensure the country program’s resources are allocated and utilized effectively and transparently and in full accordance with local laws and donor requirements. To achieve this, collaborate with the Head of Support Services and Head of Program to ensure systems are in place to ensure ongoing budget monitoring, financial management and expense control and compliance.
- Collaborate with the in-country Safety Coordinator and Regional Safety Coordinator to monitor and analyze the context and adjust operations as needed.
- Ensure safety measures are in place and compliance with DRC safety policies and standards.
- In collaboration with the country program’s senior management team, develop programmatic and operational strategies to ensure DRC Sudan is responsive, impactful and forward-thinking. This requires developing an in-depth knowledge of the Sudanese context, a thorough understanding of DRC’s approaches and priorities, an adeptness in systems-thinking and a willingness to think beyond traditional humanitarian response and the project cycle.
- In collaboration with the Head of Program, ensure new programming and business development are proactively undertaken and are within organization’s and country programs agreed strategic frameworks and standards.
Accountability and Quality:
- Ensure robust monitoring and relevant and accessible accountability initiatives are in place and regularly strengthened, and that quality standards in programming and operations are upheld.
Representation and Advocacy:
- Represent DRC and the Sudan country program to donors, governmental authorities, partners and other stakeholders. This includes representing the organization in in-country coordination fora and proactively seek opportunities to promote humanitarian principles and best practices.
- Identify opportunities in and out of the country to engage in targeted advocacy to bring greater attention to humanitarian needs and issues in Sudan.
To be successful in this role we expect the following:
- At least 10 years' relevant work experience in a senior management capacity and working in complex contexts.
- Demonstrated leadership skills and adeptness in people management.
- Experience effectively managing complex humanitarian operations, including safety management.
- Strong understanding of financial management, risk and compliance.
- Broad sectoral knowledge with a foundational understanding of basic protection principles.
- Confidence in representing organizations and programming to donors, governmental authorities and other key stakeholders.
- Master's degree in political science, international development, economics or other relevant field.
- Full professional proficiency in English.
- Knowledge of Arabic desirable.
Moreover, to be successful in this role you are expected to demonstrate DRC’ five core competencies:
Striving for excellence: You focus on reaching results while ensuring an efficient process.
Collaborating: You involve relevant parties and encourage feedback.
Taking the lead: You take ownership and initiative while aiming for innovation.
Communicating: You listen and speak effectively and honestly.
Demonstrating integrity: Upholding and promoting the highest standards of ethical and professional conduct in relation to DRC’s values and Code of Conduct, including safeguarding against sexual exploitation, abuse and harassment.
Contract length: 2 years
Designation of Duty Station: Family Duty Station
Salary and conditions will be in accordance with Danish Refugee Council’s Terms of Employment for Expatriates; please refer to drc.ngo under Vacancies.
All applicants must upload a cover letter and an updated CV (no longer than four pages) in English. Applications sent by email will not be considered.
Closing date for applications: 4 March 2020
For further information about the Danish Refugee Council, please consult our website drc.ngo.