Minimum age: 25 years old. Nationals of the country of assignment are not eligible, except the assignments in Headquarters duty stations.Description of task
The Health Specialist reports to the Education and ECD Specialist, Outcome 1 Team Leader for supervision. The Health Specialist provides professional technical, operational and administrative assistance throughout the programming process for the health-related components within the Country Programme, from development planning to delivery of results, by preparing, executing, managing, and implementing a variety of technical and administrative programme tasks to facilitate programme development, implementation, programme progress monitoring, and evaluating and reporting of results. S/he will work in close collaboration with the ECD Officer (ECD health/nutrition standards), the C4D Officer (CCD, breastfeeding promotion and Mellassine community health modeling), the ICT and Innovation Officer (innovation in immunization) and the following expected results and tasks:
- Support to programme development and planning
- Conduct and update the situation analysis for the development, design and management of health related programmes including relevant nutrition (breastfeeding, child obesity, etc.). Research and report on development trends (e.g. political social, economic, health) for management use to enhance programme management, efficiency and delivery of results.
- Contribute to the development and establishment of sectoral programme goals, objectives, strategies, and results-based planning through analysis of inter-sectoral health needs and areas for intervention and submission of recommendations for priority and goal setting.
- Provide technical and operational support throughout all stages of programming processes by preparing materials and documentations, and complying with organizational processes and management systems, to support programme planning, results-based planning (RBM), and monitoring and evaluation of results.
- Programme management, monitoring and delivery of results
- Work closely and collaboratively with colleagues and partners to discuss operational and implementation issues, provide solutions, recommendations, and/or to alert appropriate officials and stakeholders for higher-level intervention and decisions.
- Participate in monitoring and evaluation exercises, programme reviews and annual sectoral reviews with government and other counterparts to assess programmes and to report on required action/interventions at the higher level of programme management.
- Monitor and report on the use of sectoral programme resources (financial, administrative and other assets), and verify compliance with approved allocation and goals, organizational rules, regulations, procedures, as well as donor commitments, standards of accountability, and integrity. Report on issues identified to ensure timely resolution by management and stakeholders. Follow up on unresolved issues to ensure resolution.
- Prepare regular and mandated sectoral programme/project reports for management, donors and partners to keep them informed of programme progress.
- Technical and operational support to programme implementation
- Provide effective support to CCD approach adaptation and implementation.
- Conduct regular programme field visits (CCD/Positive parenting adaptation pilot governorates, breastfeeding campaign and digitalization immunization governorates) and surveys and share information with partners and stakeholders to assess progress and provide technical support and/or refer to relevant officials for resolution. Report on critical issues, bottlenecks and potential problems for timely action to achieve results.
- Provide technical expertise and support to prepare the development/implementation of awareness-raising for breastfeeding promotion activities.
- Networking and partnership building
- Build and sustain effective close working partnerships with health and nutrition sector government counterparts and national stakeholders through active sharing of information and knowledge to enhance programme implementation and build capacity of stakeholders to deliver concrete and sustainable results.
- Draft communication and information materials for CO programme advocacy to promote awareness, establish partnerships/alliances, and support fund raising for health related programmes.
- Participate in appropriate inter-agency fora on health (including HIV/AIDS) related programmes to collaborate with inter-agency partners/colleagues on UN operational planning and preparation of health and nutrition programmes/projects, and to integrate and harmonize UNICEF’s position and strategies with the UN development framework and planning process.
- Innovation, knowledge management and capacity building
- Oversee and ensure coordination, collaboratively with the ICT/Innovation Officer, of the implementation of the digitalization of immunization projects in the governorates of Kasserine, Sousse and Kairouan.
- Identify, capture, synthesize, and share lessons learned for knowledge development and to build the capacity of stakeholders particularly the EPI central coordination and immunization regional focal points.
- Apply innovative approaches and promote good practices to support the implementation and delivery of concrete and sustainable programme results.
- Participate as a resource person in capacity building initiatives to enhance the competencies of clients and stakeholders.
A university degree in one of the following fields is required: public health/nutrition, child development, international health, health policy and/or management, or another relevant technical field.Required experience: 24 Months Experience remark:
A minimum of two years of professional experience in one or more of the following areas is required: public health/nutrition planning and management, programme management function or a technical expert capacity in child survival & health care.Language skills:
- French(Mandatory), Level - Fluent
- English(Mandatory), Level - Fluent
- Arabic(Optional), Level - Working Knowledge
Accountability, Adaptability and Flexibility, Building Trust, Client Orientation, Commitment and Motivation, Commitment to Continuous Learning, Empowering Others, Ethics and Values, Integrity, Judgement and Decision-making, Knowledge Sharing, Leadership, Managing Performance, Planning and Organizing, Professionalism, Respect for Diversity, Self-Management, Vision, Working in TeamsApplication procedure:
* Not yet registered in the UNV Talent Pool?
Please first register your profile at https://vmam.unv.org/candidate/signup. Important: After creating your account, complete all sections of
your profile and submit it. Then go to ‘My Page’ at https://vmam.unv.org/candidate/mypage and click on the ‘Special Calls’ hyperlink. Lastly,
select the special call to which you would like to apply.
* Already registered in the UNV Talent Pool?
Please first update your profile at https://vmam.unv.org/candidate/profile. Then go to ‘My Page’ at https://vmam.unv.org/candidate/mypage
and click on the ‘Special Calls’ hyperlink to select the special call to which you would like to apply.
Application deadline: 25 February 2020