Aweil (South Sudan)
Minimum age: 25 years old. Nationals of the country of assignment are not eligible, except the assignments in Headquarters duty stations.Description of task
Under the direct supervision direct supervision of Medical officers and guidance of CMO/DCMO (please complete with the function of the supervisor), the UN Volunteer will undertake the following tasks:
- Collects samples from patients for Biochemistry, Hematology, Parasitological, Bacteriology, Immuno-Serology, sputum and other body fluids and conduct routine and other tests that the laboratory facilities can accommodate;
- Manages the day-to-day administration of the laboratory including proper filing of patient records in the data management system;
- Verifies and releases quality and reliable clinical test results of patients to Medical Officers;
- Identifies and recommends quality control mechanisms and design laboratory modules and work plan that ensures safety and proper biohazard waste management;
- Ensures proper handling and storage of human blood products meant for transfusion;
- Ensures proper record keeping and strict confidentiality of patients’ records;
- Monitors laboratory inventory and prepares requisitions for laboratory reagents and laboratory consumables in collaboration with the Pharmacy unit;
- Ensures proper recording and reporting of laboratory data capturing the daily, monthly, and annual laboratory tests performed.
- Contributes insights on various hospital-based infection control measures;
- Performs a variety of procedures using established laboratory techniques on both manual and automated laboratory equipment;
- Ensures the cleanliness, maintenance and calibration of laboratory equipment, as well as reporting any equipment malfunction and initiating repairs when necessary by qualified repair technician;
- Acts in a professional manner, reflecting the mission’s, philosophy and values;
- Trains, assists and supervises the daily activities of the Laboratory Assistant (if any) assigned to the medical section;
- Performs any other duties as may be required by the Chief Medical Officer, Deputy Chief Medical Officer or Medical officer;
Bachelor Degree in Medical Technology (Clinical Laboratory Science).Required experience: 60 Months Experience remark:
Registered Medical Technologist with 5 to 7 years work experience in a tropical country.Language skills:
- English(Mandatory), Level - Fluent
- Solid computer skills, including full proficiency in various MS Office applications (Excel, Word); other IT applications and office technology equipment;
- Have affinity with or interest in humanitarian relief, post-conflict situations, volunteerism as a mechanism for durable development, and the UN System;
- Sound security awareness.
Accountability, Adaptability and Flexibility, Commitment and Motivation, Commitment to Continuous Learning, Communication, Integrity, Planning and Organizing, Professionalism, Respect for Diversity, Working in TeamsApplication procedure:
* Not yet registered in the UNV Talent Pool?
Please first register your profile at https://vmam.unv.org/candidate/signup. Important: After creating your account, complete all sections of your profile and submit it. Then go to ‘My Page’ at https://vmam.unv.org/candidate/mypage and click on the ‘Special Calls’ hyperlink. Lastly, select the special call to which you would like to apply.
* Already registered in the UNV Talent Pool?
Please first update your profile at https://vmam.unv.org/candidate/profile. Then go to ‘My Page’ at https://vmam.unv.org/candidate/mypage and click on the ‘Special Calls’ hyperlink to select the special call to which you would like to apply.