Data Governance Specialist
- Function title: Data Governance Specialist
- Reference: NOC-NM-2020-AD/189
- Location: Brussels
- Nature of competition: Internal and external competition
- Applicable regulations: Staff regulations
- Grades for publication: AD7-8
- Type of post: Administrator (AD5-AD12)
- Number of posts: 1
- Duration: 5 Year(s)
- Security clearance: EU/NATO SECRET
- Directorate/Service: NMD/TEC/DAD - Development & Delivery Unit
- Competition publication date: 12/02/2020
- Competition closing date: 11/03/2020 (23:59 Brussels time)
- Reserve list: Applicable - See details in the "Useful information" section
Within the Network Management Directorate, "Technology" develops and maintains NMD's mission-critical systems, including all NM ops systems, the related communications facilities and technical infrastructure; and supports the Agency's IT solutions and services (excluding MUAC).
The Data Governance Specialist will have to set up, implement and ensure adherence to a supported Agency-wide applicable data governance framework to enable the formal management (consuming, contribution, validation, processing, protection, etc.) of data assets. S/he will develop, deploy and enforce relevant processes, policies, practices and standards to ensure proper use and maintenance of data.
Your role will be to:
- set up and maintain a data governance framework to allow the formal management of data assets (e.g. better control over data assets, data protection, validation, data quality, etc.);
- define roles and responsibilities related to data governance, develop and deploy related processes and procedures, and establish a common understanding and visibility of all Agency data assets;
- oversee the progressive implementation of data governance, ensure adherence to applicable policies, practices and standards (data quality, data protection, etc.), and identify issues and recommend remedial actions;
- customise an evolving data governance metadata model to cover all aspects of the business technology landscape, including big data and related emerging technologies;
- develop and maintain an inventory of the enterprise information maps including external data flows, authoritative systems and owners;
- lead cross-functional data governance activities with the business, IT architects, IT experts, security officers and other key actors, and ensure a common understanding of related business requirements and priorities;
- constructively challenge requirements and propose value-added solutions in order to meet data governance objectives;
- perform any other task in line with the main purpose of the job.
Required qualifications, experience & competencies
- Completed university studies of 4 years in a relevant domain (e.g. Computer Science, Information Technology/Management) or completed university studies of 3 years in a relevant domain plus one year of appropriate professional experience;
- In addition, a minimum of 5 years’ in data management and minimum of 3 years’ in data governance within a complex business environment;
- Internal candidates should check on the intranet to see what level of in-house experience is considered equivalent to educational qualifications where appropriate;
- Professional training and certification in data governance would be a strong advantage;
- Experience in requirements management;
- Understanding of business data;
- (Technical) drafting skills in English;
- IT awareness and impact;
- Communication: Fosters two-way communication;
- Influencing: Tailors style and approach to impact others;
- Analytical skills: Analyses information and identifies relationships;
- Strategic focus: Aligns action to strategy;
- Problem Solving: Anticipates and solves business issues;
- Ability to work in a multinational and multicultural environment;
- Professional conduct in line with the corporate behaviours of the Agency, i.e. result-driven, readiness to change, customer focus, integrity and team-player approach;
- The working languages of the Agency are French and English. For this particular job, a thorough knowledge of English (oral/written) and a satisfactory knowledge of French to the extent necessary for the performance of the described duties.
- Applications will be accepted from nationals of EUROCONTROL Member States only. At the closing date of the notice of competition, internal candidates must have completed their probationary period.
- This is an appointment for a determined period of 5 Year(s). It could be extended up to a maximum of 9 years or converted into an undetermined contract. Before being established in the post, the external candidate will be requested to provide certified copies of his/her degrees and successfully serve a probationary period of 9 months.
- Internal candidates appointed to an established post or for an undetermined period: If successful, the staff member will be appointed under the conditions set out above, while maintaining the previous terms of employment regarding his/her appointment (whether for an undetermined period or to an established post). At the end of the period of employment as mentioned above, if the assignment to this post is not extended or its duties do not become of a lasting nature, the staff member will, in accordance with the service regulations, be transferred to another post corresponding to his/her last type of post, grade and function group.
- Internal candidates appointed for determined period: If successful, the person will continue his/her current type of appointment if compliant with duration limits laid down in Annex Xb of the Staff Regulations/General Conditions of Employment.
- The successful candidate shall be appointed at the grade in the function group and to the type of post indicated in the vacancy notice, or, if a group of grades has been published, in principle at the basic grade.
- In case of reserve list: Suitable candidates, however not selected to fill the post, will be placed on a reserve list for similar functions. The period of validity of reserve list is 1 year from the approval of the selection board’s recommendations.
- Information on salary and benefits can be found on the web page: http://jobs.eurocontrol.int/what-we-offer
- EUROCONTROL is committed to non-discrimination and equal opportunities. In the event of equal merit, preference may be given to the applicant from to the under-represented diversity characteristics in order to complement diversity of teams and rebalance the workforce.
- Candidates should read the tips on how to apply. Item 1 includes information on the EUROCONTROL competency models (technical & behavioural) – Candidates should refer to the behavioural competency model to know the behaviours expected for the different levels.