National Technical Advisor (Re-advertised)
In Uzbekistan, low-carbon rural housing presents an opportunity to address climate change threats to rural populations. Projected climate threats include increased air temperature, changing rainfall patterns (and increased drought frequency), and increase of extreme events, such as heat waves. Well-constructed rural housing that provides comfortable indoor climate for residents and affordable heating and cooling options directly reduces exposure to these climate threats. Housing improvements in resource efficiency could reduce energy and water use, easing the acute stress on diminishing water resources and reducing utility expenditures for households thus reducing the vulnerability to climate change. While housing units can be constructed as low-carbon buildings that utilize energy efficiency and renewable energy technologies, the construction of entire housing developments also presents an opportunity to address local infrastructure and planning issues.
The UNDP/GEF and Government of Uzbekistan project on “Market Transformation for Sustainable Rural Housing in Uzbekistan” will comprehensively address these barriers via a combination of policy and financial de-risking instruments and targeted financial incentives to key market players, such as homeowners. The project seeks to transform the rapidly growing rural housing sector in Uzbekistan towards a more sustainable and low-carbon development pathway by designing, piloting and scaling-up a green mortgage market mechanism aimed at boosting demand for low-carbon housing among the Uzbek rural population.
The UNDP project objective is to provide Uzbekistan’s rural population with improved, affordable and environmentally friendly living conditions, and the project is structured into four components:
- Component 1: Green mortgage market mechanism to scale-up demand for low-carbon housing;
- Component 2: Efficient designs and domestic supply chains for low-carbon housing and settlements;
- Component 3: Policy and regulatory reform to enable the scale-up of low-carbon housing and settlements;
- Component 4: Marketing and promotion of low-carbon rural housing and settlements.
Duties and Responsibilities
Under the direct supervision of the Project Manager, the National Technical Advisor (NTA) will work closely with project Team Leaders and inter/national consultants and will be fully responsible for coordination of all relevant thematic activities through providing sound technical expertise and oversight.
- Carry out general thematic supervision of the project Team Leaders and experts, thus achieving synergy effects and close collaboration between the project components;
- Responsible for coordination of proper and timely implementation of all technical, thematic activities to be carried out within all the four project components, including rendering support/advice and overseeing the work of the four Team Leaders, international/national consultants. This includes preparation of terms of references (TORs) of national and international consultants, coordination and control on preparation of work plans and reports, organization of field works, assistance in organization of experts’ team work, integration of their results in a single position, support in (i) preparation of project reports, (ii) organization of project activities, (e.g. seminars, trainings, master-classes etc.), and project representation on local level in the absence of Project Manager (PM);
- Coordinate activities of the project experts in achieving synergy effects and avoiding duplication;
- Participate in regular meetings with PM and discussion of project results, achievements and/or challenges;
- Conduct regular meetings (at least once a fortnight) with short-term national consultants to secure effective joint planning of activity and monitoring implementation of thematic tasks described in respective thematic work plans;
- Conduct periodical meetings with representatives of the project partner organizations (as necessary, but at least once a quarter);
- Coordinate all the project activities related to establishment and maintaining close and trustful cooperation with public and private enterprises, involved in rural housing sector;
- In cooperation with the project manager, provide assistance in organizing meetings with representatives of donor organizations and UNDP projects in terms of possible joint activities and resource mobilization;
- Provide support to the PM and UNDP Sustainable Development Cluster in collection and analyzing data required for mobilization of additional resources and elaboration of project proposals in the field of promoting energy efficiency, application of renewable energy and low/zero energy, passive house technologies in rural housing sector;
- Prepare necessary thematic presentations and reports for the Project Board meetings, round tables and/or similar events;
- Establish working relationships with colleagues from regional projects on promoting energy efficiency to ensure timely and effective exchange of information, lessons learned and experience related to implementation of project thematic tasks;
- Provide support on planning and implementation of international experts missions to Uzbekistan, ensure strict control over timely implementation and completion of all planned activities;
- Provide technical, thematic support and consultancy to the State Committee on Architecture and Construction, Tashkent Architecture and Construction Institute, Tashkent State Technical University, regional and district municipalities and project national/international consultants in elaboration of training programmes, plans, and coordinate organization of trainings, master-classes for architects, design/construction specialists, regional/district authorities and rural population;
- Provide technical support and consultancy to experts in conducting regular monitoring of mainstreaming results on demonstration sites, documenting obtained results, developing specific recommendations to the Government on technology promotion, organization of information campaigns and strategy of further dissemination of the project results;
- Perform other duties upon request from PM in the scope of current position.
- Be responsible for ensuring the technical quality of products and outputs produced by the project component;
- Coordinate the preparation and ensure quality of annual and quarterly technical plans and reports;
- Provide support to PM in preparation of all required project reporting (in both UNDP and GEF formats), including quarterly operational reports (QOR), annual review reports (ARR), project implementation reports (PIR), annual work plans (AWP), annual plans of activities (APA) and procurement plans (PP);
- Effectively coordinate data collection and treatment, preparation of reports on field works, mapping, preparation of presentations and so on;
- Provide information to PM on technical, thematic results and achievements of experts;
- Contribute to elaboration of an ‘exit’ project strategy to make project outputs sustainable in the long-run.
- Demonstrates commitment to UNDP’s mission, vision and values;
- Displays cultural, gender, religion, race, nationality and age sensitivity and adaptability;
- Demonstrating/safeguarding ethics and integrity;
- Demonstrate corporate knowledge and sound judgment;
- Self-development, initiative-taking;
- Acting as a team leader and facilitating team work;
- Facilitating and encouraging open communication in the team, communicating effectively;
- Creating synergies through self-control;
- Managing conflict;
- Learning and sharing knowledge and encourage the learning of others;
- Informed and transparent decision making
Communications and Networking
- Has excellent oral communication skills and conflict resolution competency to manage inter-group dynamics and mediate conflicting interests of varied actors;
- Has excellent written communication skills, with analytic capacity and ability to synthesize project outputs and relevant findings for the preparation of quality project reports;
- Maturity and confidence in dealing with senior and high ranking members of national and international institutions, government and non-government.
Knowledge Management and Learning
- Promotes a knowledge sharing and learning culture in the team through leadership and personal example;
- Actively mentoring project staff under her/his supervision;
- Leadership and Self-Management;
- Focuses on result for the client and responds positively to feedback;
- Consistently approaches work with energy and a positive, constructive attitude;
- Remains calm, in control and good humored even under pressure;
- Competent in leading team and creating team spirit, stimulating team members to produce quality outputs in a timely and transparent fashion.
Development and Operational Effectiveness
- Ability to organize and complete multiple tasks by establishing priorities;
- Ability to handle a large volume of work possibly under time constraints.
Job Knowledge/Technical Expertise
- Understands the main processes and methods of work regarding to the position;
- Strives to keep job knowledge up-to-date through self-directed study and other means of learning;
- Demonstrates good knowledge of information technology and applies it in work assignments.
Leadership and Self-Management
- Builds strong relationships with clients, focuses on impact and result for the client and responds positively to feedback;
- Consistently approaches work with energy and a positive, constructive attitude;
- Demonstrates good oral and written communication skills.
Required Skills and Experience
- Bachelor’s degree in one of the following areas: construction management, energy/electricity/communications engineering, finance, economics, public and business administration.
- Proven track of at least 3 years of progressive working experience in relevant fields. Practical experience in construction engineering, civil engineering, finance, economics public and business administration.
- Working experience in/with international organizations is an asset.
- Excellent command of spoken and written English, Uzbek and Russian are essential and required.
- Strong managerial, coordination and communication skills, client-orientation, ability to work in a team;
- Practical experience in coordination of the field project activities associated with the rural housing and corresponding sustainable development;
- Proven experience of successful collaboration with central/regional / local governments and private business;
- Initiative and strong leadership skills;
- Strong analytical, communication, writing, presentation and communication skills;
- Excellent interpersonal and cross cultural communication skills, ability to work in a team and to work under pressure and with tight deadlines, ethics and honesty;
- Knowledge of spreadsheet and database packages, experience in handling of web based management systems;
- Knowledge of and experience in gender mainstreaming is an asset;
- Result and client-orientations;
- Ability to use IT and communication technologies as a tool and resource.
Important applicant information
All posts in the SC categories are subject to local recruitment.
Applicant information about UNDP rosters
Note: UNDP reserves the right to select one or more candidates from this vacancy announcement. We may also retain applications and consider candidates applying to this post for other similar positions with UNDP at the same grade level and with similar job description, experience and educational requirements.
UNDP is committed to achieving diversity within its workforce, and encourages all qualified applicants, irrespective of gender, nationality, disabilities, sexual orientation, culture, religious and ethnic backgrounds to apply. All applications will be treated in the strictest confidence.
The United Nations does not charge any application, processing, training, interviewing, testing or other fee in connection with the application or recruitment process. Should you receive a solicitation for the payment of a fee, please disregard it. Furthermore, please note that emblems, logos, names and addresses are easily copied and reproduced. Therefore, you are advised to apply particular care when submitting personal information on the web.