SDG and M&E Analyst - SC4SDG
“Strengthening Institutional Capacity for SDGs Achievement in Bangladesh (SC4SDG)”, is a multi-year initiative to support the Government of Bangladesh. This initiative is the successor of “Support to Sustainable and Inclusive Planning (SSIP)” project and “Engaging with Institutions (EI)”, IP project and aims at providing technical assistance in the formulation of evidence-based policy formulation, implementation, localization, monitoring, evaluation, reporting and outreach of Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs) in Bangladesh. UNDP has been a long-standing partner of the GoB in achieving global goals since the era of Millennium Development Goals (MDGs). In previous interventions, UNDP worked largely with the public sector; but for SDGs, it cannot be achieved without support of the non-state stakeholders given its wideness and depth of the 2030 Global Development Agenda. This project aims to go beyond the conventional partnership with the government to private sector, NGOs, CSOs, think-tank, academia and media to ensure the ‘whole of the society’ approach to attained SDG goals and targets.
The project has four components:
1. Evidence-informed SDG policy and plans formulated;
2. Systems and capacities in place to localize the SDGs;
3. Financing for SDG Implementation secured and prioritized; and
4. Partnerships and outreach for enhancing society wide participation in SDGs ensured.
Duties and Responsibilities
Under the direct supervision of Chief Technology Adviser; The incumbent shall carry out the duties given below to achieve the mission:
- Work closely with all technical committees and facilitate to ensure linkages with policy issues to achieve those across GoB partners and agencies;
- Develop a comprehensive M&E system for strengthened results monitoring and reporting of the project;
- Set performance targets (e.g.: key performance indicators) of project activities to systematically assess progress towards achieving them;
- Monitor performance data against indicators and analyze data/information for producing periodic monitoring reports and status updates in line with targets in the M&E framework;
- Assure quality of monitoring data;
- Build capacity of policymakers to utilize monitoring data in policy decisions;
- Input monitoring, results monitoring, preparation and following up of the M&E Plan, preparation of quarterly, half-yearly and yearly progress reports as well as Results Oriented Analysis Report (ROAR), donor report (if any) based on the inputs provided by the project colleagues;
- Introduce participatory tools, toolkits, templates and guidelines in the overall SDGs monitoring system and ensure a link between national and local levels;
- Develop evaluation design and draft a ToR for hiring evaluation firm/consultants;
- Monitor process of evaluation and provide technical supervision to firm and consultants for quality assurance;
- Commission survey and assessment to ensure proper monitoring and evaluation and to identify lessons learned;
- Support UNDP corporate reporting in coordination with the UNDP Country Office M&E focal point, including Results-oriented Analysis Report (ROAR), Integrated Results and Resources Framework (IRRF) of the UNDP Strategic Plan, International Aid Transparency Initiative (IATI), and Project Quality Assurance;
- Develop institutional design and regulatory guidelines for the national level system operationalization;
- Maintain liaison with Core SDGs Team, National SDGs M&E Platform and SDGs M&E Working Group;
- Commission of research (along with the Economist and Research Associate), managing its development and the dissemination/ sharing of key findings;
- With the assistance of the Project Associate, organize trainings, workshops, consultations on different aspects of monitoring and evaluation;
- Develop and maintain standardized templates and processes (with the assistance from Research Associate) in order to capture and store lessons learnt and other key areas of knowledge from the project;
- With the assistance of the Project Associate, undertake outreach within the project team to assist them with the use of knowledge management strategies and systems;
- Liaise with the Communications and Advocacy Officer in securing media exposure (with the assistance from Project Associate);
- Design and conduct a series of SDGs related events at the national and local levels;
- Maintain liaison with all relevant stakeholders involved in localization of SDGs in Bangladesh;
- Supervise Research Associate and Project Associate in order to carry out activities relating to research, knowledge management, and monitoring and evaluation;
- Conduct other duties as required by the Chief Technical Adviser or other project management staff.
Impact of Results
Results and policies that strengthen pro-poor orientation, sustainable planning and efficient SDG monitoring are communicated and advocated across government platforms and stakeholders.
- Demonstrates integrity by modeling the UN’s values and ethical standards (human rights, peace, understanding between peoples and nations, tolerance, integrity, respect, results orientation (UNDP core ethics) impartiality
- Promotes the vision, mission, and strategic goals of UNDP
- Displays cultural, gender, religion, race, nationality and age sensitivity and adaptability
Development and Operational Effectiveness
- Strong analytical skills
- Strong customer-service skills with demonstrated ability to effectively interact with technical and non-technical end users in a pleasant, cooperative, and helpful manner.
- Demonstrated ability to solve problems and work independently.
- Ability to read, analyze, interpret and apply general technical instructions and procedures
Leadership and Self-Management
- Focuses on result for the client and responds positively to feedback
- Consistently approaches work with energy and a positive, constructive attitude
- Remains calm, in control and good humoured even under pressure
Knowledge Management and Learning
- Shares knowledge and experience
- Seeks and applies knowledge, information, and best practices from within and outside UNDP
- Actively works towards continuing personal learning and development in one or more practice areas, acts on learning plan and applies newly acquired skills
Required Skills and Experience
Master's degree in economics, international relations, environment, or a related field
- A minimum of 3 years of relevant work experience in knowledge management, M&E and research preferably related to environment and climate an advantage;
- Knowledge of government initiatives for monitoring and implementing SDGs and other development issues is desired;
- Awareness of GoB government machinery.
- Knowledge about the monitoring and evaluation tools;
- Excellent communication skills in English and Bangla.
Important applicant information
All posts in the SC categories are subject to local recruitment.
Applicant information about UNDP rosters
Note: UNDP reserves the right to select one or more candidates from this vacancy announcement. We may also retain applications and consider candidates applying to this post for other similar positions with UNDP at the same grade level and with similar job description, experience and educational requirements.
UNDP is committed to achieving diversity within its workforce, and encourages all qualified applicants, irrespective of gender, nationality, disabilities, sexual orientation, culture, religious and ethnic backgrounds to apply. All applications will be treated in the strictest confidence.
The United Nations does not charge any application, processing, training, interviewing, testing or other fee in connection with the application or recruitment process. Should you receive a solicitation for the payment of a fee, please disregard it. Furthermore, please note that emblems, logos, names and addresses are easily copied and reproduced. Therefore, you are advised to apply particular care when submitting personal information on the web.