National Project Coordinator, Sustainable Cashmere Platform (Platform Coordinator)-Mongolian Nationals only
Ulan Bator (Mongolia)
With support of the UNDP Green Commodities Program (GCP), a feasibility study was conducted through Sustainable cashmere project under the Country Investment Facility support. According to the Ensuring Sustainability and Resilience of Green Landscapes in Mongolia (ENSURE) project document, it is planned to support the establishment of the Sustainable Cashmere Platform, which would bring the key stakeholders – buyers, producers, government- together at a national level, ensure that there is good coordination and collaboration between different projects, create national action plan for sector transformation and mobilise additional international private sector partners and resources for value chain development under sustainable standards that would reduce pressure on rangelands and forests in an iterative approach. GEF funds would support a national coordinator for the platform for one year to help with its operationalization to be replaced in subsequent years by co-financing and other donor funds. In support of the platform, the project will provide seed funds to support the identification and adoption of harmonized approaches on sustainable cashmere certification/incentives/verification and build clarity across public and private sectors on sustainable cashmere production. This will be supported by the engagement of key international buyer brands in the platform. Statement of intent will be signed by key partners and publicly advocated.
Under the overall guidance and supervision of the UNDP Portfolio Officer and the Platform Steering Committee, the Platform Coordinator will be responsible for overall coordination and management of Mongolia Sustainable Cashmere Platform on a day-to-day basis in close collaboration with GCP Technical support team; provide oversight and technical support, direction and leadership for all Platform activities. Ensure coordination of Platform activities with other relevant programmes, including ENSURE project and broader country programme.
Duties and Responsibilities
Coordination and management of Mongolia Sustainable Cashmere Platform (MSCP)
- Provide national level collaborative leadership, in good coordination with the different ministries and partner organisations;
- Manage the multi-stakeholder dialogue process to develop, implement and monitor a collective action plan on sustainable cashmere for Mongolia;
- Prepare quarterly work plans and budgets for MSCP as appropriate;
- Coordinate and manage the day-to-day implementation of MSCP and ensure achievement of targets as outlined in the ENSURE project document, Annual work Plan (AWP) of ENSURE project and platform planning processes;
- Lead the process of launching the platform;
- Mobilize goods and services and other project inputs, including preparing ToRs for related consultants, agendas and budget for meetings and workshops;
- Supervise the work of the national and international experts and institutions to ensure outputs are delivered on time, within the set budget, and to high quality standards;
- Facilitate, guide and monitor the work of the MSCP team;
- Facilitate discussion between international buyers/private sector and local herder communities for improved market access in selected pilot soums of ENSURE project.
- Manage critical risks, troubleshoots problems and develop timely solutions to overcome for achieving objectives of the MSCP implementation in 2020;
- Consult with supervisor for any issues that require their attention, including issues related to deviation from the approved work plans and its tolerance;
- Validate all the findings of the feasibility studies in consultation with wide variety of stakeholders and coordinate their implementation mechanism within the piloting soums to reach the objective of the ENSURE project in improving market access for herders;
- Ensure effective monitoring of MSCP performance, and the preparation of high quality and results-oriented progress reports to be submitted to UNDP and Donor Partners;
- Deliver plenary meetings and workshops, in collaboration with independent facilitator(s) and with multiple stakeholders, across the country, that enables democratic dialogue and true participation, taking into account minority voices;
- Prepare for, deliver and report on Platform Steering Committee meetings.
Create strategic partnerships and support to the implementation of resource mobilization
- Establish and maintain good working relationships with the relevant public, private and development partners who are the principal stakeholders of the platform;
- Organise regular 121 consultations with key partner organisations to continue developing the business case for the platform;
- Initiate and maintain partnerships with development partners, government institutions, private sector, civil society and other stakeholders to contribute to the achievement of platform’s objectives;
- In collaboration with the Platform Communication Manager and UNDP GCP Communications Advisor, build MSCP reputation by delivering accurate and inspiring communication to all stakeholders;
- Identify opportunities for mobilizing resources for the platform activities, (through the development of a fundraising strategy) and prepare substantive briefs on possible areas of cooperation; and to facilitate resource mobilization for the platform from potential sources, including GEF7, Green Climate Fund (GCF).
Management of Platform Team
- Support the recruitment process of the cashmere value chain specialist, communications manager and Admin & Logistic support;
- Provide induction to platform team and ongoing capacity building;
- Review individual work plan/staff objectives of platform team;
- Ensure quality control of the work delivered by platform team.
Facilitate knowledge building and management for and from the MSPC implementation
- Identify best practices and lessons learnt from the platform activities and from other initiatives that can be helpful in achieving its goals and objectives;
- Develop workshop reports for all technical workshops;
- Develop briefing notes, case studies, info-graphs, press releases, web articles and other media products as required;
- Organize local travels for international buyers and private companies to communicate with concerned communities;
- Participate in internal capacity building training to facilitate appropriate management and timely delivery of outputs; and encourage platform staff to do the same;
- Lead in generating knowledge products such as best practices and lessons learnt for knowledge sharing; and contribute to knowledge networks and communities of practice.
- Demonstrates commitment to UNDP’s mission, vision and values;
- Displays cultural, gender, religion, race, nationality and age sensitivity and adaptability.
Management and Leadership
- Good managerial and leading skills;
- Demonstrate strong coordination and organizational skills;
- Ability to work as a part of a team, sharing information and coordinating efforts within the team;
- Consistently approaches to work with energy and a positive and constructive attitude;
- Excellent analytical and writing skills.
- Good communication skill both in writing and oral including networking and interpersonal skills;
- Good listener;
- Proven ability to persuade and influence others to cooperate.
- Excellent relationship Builder;
- Care about other peoples’ needs and opinions and can listen deeply to their concerns and wishes;
- Researches potential solutions to internal and external client needs and reports back in a timely, succinct and appropriate fashion;
- Organizes and prioritizes work schedule to meet client needs and deadlines;
- Establishes, builds and sustains effective relationships within the work unit and with internal and external clients;
- Proven ability to build strong relations with partners, clients for positive feedback;
- Ability to undertake and apply gender analysis to ensure gender equitable solutions.
- Build, coordinate and advise on strategic and programmatic partnership;
- Facilitate the engagement of major stakeholders or groups in environment and sustainable development decision making, their access to and sharing of information for effective compliance.
Communication and Outreach
- Advise on the development and management of the platform communication strategy, outreach campaigns and activities to raise the platform profile at the national and international levels.
- Demonstrate professional competence and mastery of subject matter;
- Is conscientious and efficient in meeting commitments, observing deadlines and achieving results;
- Speaks and writes clearly and effectively and demonstrates openness in sharing information and keeping people informed;
- Willing to undertake other assignments as provided by the Portfolio Officer.
- Operates with a collaborative/participative leadership style;
- Proactive in developing strategies to accomplish objectives;
- Establishes and maintains relationships with a broad range of people to understand needs and gain support;
- Drives for change and improvements;
- Provides leadership and takes responsibility for incorporating gender perspectives and ensuring the equal participation of women and men in all areas of work.
- Identifies the key issues in a complex situation;
- Gathers relevant information before making a decision;
- Considers positive and negative impacts of decisions prior to making them;
- Proposes a course of action based on all available information;
- Checks assumptions against facts.
Required Skills and Experience
Advanced university degree (Master's degree or equivalent) in Social Sciences (International development, International business, Economics, Public Policy focusing on Environment and Sustainable Development) or related field from a recognized and reputable institution) is required.
Work experience qualification
A minimum six (6) years (with PhD degree), or, minimum tem (10) years (with Masters’ degree) of extensive working experience in development, project/program coordination, policy development, analysis is required;
Solid track record of providing strategic coordination with government, development partners, NGO and Private Sector to address relevant issue and to ensure smooth coordination with ENSURE project objectives;
Proven experience in Multi-Stakeholder Coordination and fundraising for development purpose; developing trusting and long-lasting professional networks;
Experience working on sustainable agriculture and nature conservation, preferably related with the value chains of the cashmere sector;
Proven excellent communications skills in presenting, speaking, pitching and listening;
Experience in the usage of computers and office software packages (MS Word, Excel, etc) and advanced knowledge of spreadsheet and database packages, experience in handling of web-based management systems.
Excellent knowledge of English, both spoken and written and national language of the duty station (Mongolian).
Important applicant information
All posts in the SC categories are subject to local recruitment.
Applicant information about UNDP rosters
Note: UNDP reserves the right to select one or more candidates from this vacancy announcement. We may also retain applications and consider candidates applying to this post for other similar positions with UNDP at the same grade level and with similar job description, experience and educational requirements.
UNDP is committed to achieving diversity within its workforce, and encourages all qualified applicants, irrespective of gender, nationality, disabilities, sexual orientation, culture, religious and ethnic backgrounds to apply. All applications will be treated in the strictest confidence.
The United Nations does not charge any application, processing, training, interviewing, testing or other fee in connection with the application or recruitment process. Should you receive a solicitation for the payment of a fee, please disregard it. Furthermore, please note that emblems, logos, names and addresses are easily copied and reproduced. Therefore, you are advised to apply particular care when submitting personal information on the web.