Minimum age: 25 years old. Nationals of the country of assignment are not eligible, except the assignments in Headquarters duty stations.Description of task
Under the direct supervision of the Project Manager and/or in close coordination with the State Engineer, Engineering Section, the UNV Project Engineer (Civil Engineer) is responsible for the following duties:
- Applies commonly used engineering calculations, practices and precedents in completing portions of larger projects related to the design, construction, or repair of buildings, roads, bridges, airfields, helipads, railways, docks, waste disposal systems, and other related structures and activities in the field;
- Plans and designs specifications for projects;
- Conducts site investigations to obtain field data such as soil characteristics, drainage and other data required for building site selection;
- Prepares design layout for smaller or less complex portions of building and facilities;
- Undertake frequent site visits to monitor the project activities and advise on technical matters;
- Develops technical data regarding materials, sizes, dimensions, and quantities and costs to be incorporated in formal specifications;
- Estimates costs of repairs of damaged buildings, facilities and systems to determine feasibility of repairs or replacement;
- Liaises with other engineers and Mission specialists responsible for related specialized phases to arrive at mutually satisfactory approaches to problems by exchanging and comparing data;
- Conducts investigations to develop improved designs and construction techniques;
- Produces cost data and estimates on engineering-related requirements of current and planned field missions;
- Analyzes project proposals to ensure technical feasibility and that project objectives are attainable within prescribed resources;
- Ensuring timely issuance, of delivery and correct prioritization of Engineering Supplies, Materials and Equipment for projects;
- Maintain accurate project records and file;
- Performs other duties of a similar nature or level as requested by the State Engineer.
- Degree in civil or structural engineering from an accredited and internationally or nationally recognized university;
- Registered Engineer with an internationally recognised body is desirable.
- Three years of active professional experience with consulting architects/engineers and international construction business;
- English(Mandatory), Level - Fluent
- Solid computer skills in MS Office applications (Excel, Word etc)
- Proficiency in AutoCad
- Microsoft Project
- Prince 2 or PMP Certification is desirable.
- Must have affinity with or interest in humanitarian relief, post-conflict situations, volunteerism as a mechanism for durable development, and the UN System and sound security awareness.
Accountability, Adaptability and Flexibility, Commitment and Motivation, Commitment to Continuous Learning, Communication, Integrity, Planning and Organizing, Professionalism, Respect for Diversity, Working in TeamsApplication procedure:
* Not yet registered in the UNV Talent Pool?
Please first register your profile at https://vmam.unv.org/candidate/signup. Important: After creating your account, complete all sections of your profile and submit it. Then go to ‘My Page’ at https://vmam.unv.org/candidate/mypage and click on the ‘Special Calls’ hyperlink. Lastly, select the special call to which you would like to apply.
* Already registered in the UNV Talent Pool?
Please first update your profile at https://vmam.unv.org/candidate/profile. Then go to ‘My Page’ at https://vmam.unv.org/candidate/mypage and click on the ‘Special Calls’ hyperlink to select the special call to which you would like to apply.
Application deadline: 27-02-2020