Senior Business Process Analyst (P5)
The Department of Safeguards (SG) is the organizational hub for the implementation of IAEA safeguards. The IAEA implements nuclear verification activities for over 180 States in accordance with their safeguards agreements. The main objective of the Department is to maintain and further develop an effective and efficient verification system in order to draw independent, impartial and timely safeguards conclusions, thus providing credible assurances to the international community that States are in compliance with their safeguards obligations. Safeguards activities are undertaken within a dynamic and technically challenging environment including advanced nuclear fuel cycle facilities and complemented by the political and cultural diversity of the countries.
The Department of Safeguards consists of six Divisions\: three Operations Divisions for the implementation of verification activities around the world; three Technical Divisions (Division of Concepts and Planning, Division of Information Management, and Division of Technical and Scientific Services); and three Offices (the Office for Verification in Iran, the Office of Safeguards Analytical Services and the Office of Information and Communication Services).
Division of Concepts and Planning is responsible for strategic planning, the
development and promotion of safeguards concepts and policy, the coordination
of research and development activities, the implementation of the quality
management system of the Department, and the provision and development of
The Process Design Section is responsible for the implementation of an ISO 9001 compliant quality management system in the Department, to ensure consistent implementation of well-defined processes. The Sectionâs activities include guiding the design and implementation of departmental processes, implementing methods to measure process performance and providing feedback and assistance to process owners. The Section is also responsible for delivering training in quality management tools and techniques to staff, managing the Departmental document repository and designing and implementing cost calculation tools. The Section also coordinates knowledge management activities in the Department.
As a member of a team led by the Section Head, the Senior Business Process Analyst will ensure the integration of standardized processes across the Department, and develop the means and tools to evaluate the efficiency and effectiveness of these processes.
The Senior Business Process Analyst has several roles in the Section\: (1) an expert providing advice on where process implementation could be made more effective and efficient; (2) a process architect designing new processes or improving existing ones taking into account the safeguards objectives and the needs of the Department; (3) an adviser providing support to the Department to standardize safeguards processes.
Functions / Key Results Expected
- Engage and collaborate with process owners and stakeholders throughout the Department to establish the means and mechanisms for monitoring the efficiency and effectiveness of processes. Coordinate efforts to compile performance measures for use in continual improvement of the departmental Quality Management System (QMS).
- Provide expert advice and guidance to improve the effectiveness and efficiency of safeguards implementation through the use of Lean and/or Six Sigma principles, tools and techniques for continual process improvement.
Lead efforts and advise on the development and implementation of advanced business process modelling notation for designing and documenting processes in the Department.
- In close consultation with the Section Head, monitor and report on assigned projects in the Section to ensure the quality and timeliness of deliverables.
- Serve as the Alternate Departmental Quality Manager contributing to the evolution and implementation of identified improvements to the departmental Quality Management System.
- Together with the Section Team, undertake efforts to raise the awareness and understanding of quality management and process management in the Department. Identify and evaluate how external standards may be used and applied within the Department to support improved quality management and operating practices.
- In collaboration with the Safeguards Training Section, develop a departmental training curriculum to support quality management tools and techniques including process improvement, corrective actions and root cause analysis, in addition to other quality management topics as the needs of the Department dictate.
- In collaboration with the Section Head, compile input for the preparation of programme and budget activities, financial monitoring and other ad-hoc reports.
- Identify improvements for departmental IT infrastructure needed to support risk management, quality management, process measurement, continual process improvement, and knowledge management.
Competencies and Expertise
|Planning and Organizing||Plans and organizes his/her own work in support of achieving the team or Sectionâs priorities. Takes into account potential changes and proposes contingency plans.|
|Communication||Communicates orally and in writing in a clear, concise and impartial manner. Takes time to listen to and understand the perspectives of others and proposes solutions.|
|Achieving Results||Takes initiative in defining realistic outputs and clarifying roles, responsibilities and expected results in the context of the Department/Divisionâs programme. Evaluates his/her results realistically, drawing conclusions from lessons learned.|
|Teamwork||Actively contributes to achieving team results. Supports team decisions.|
|Client orientation||Helps clients to analyse their needs. Seeks to understand service needs from the clientâs perspective and ensure that the clientâs standards are met.|
|Commitment to continuous process improvement||Plans and executes activities in the context of quality and risk management and identifies opportunities for process, system and structural improvement, as well as improving current practices. Analyses processes and procedures, and proposes improvements.|
|Judgement/decision making||Consults with supervisor/manager and takes decisions in full compliance with the IAEA's regulations and rules. Makes decisions reflecting best practice and professional theories and standards.|
|Resilience||Maintains a high level of performance when facing pressure and uncertainty. Able to remain calm and self-controlled, and to respond logically and decisively in difficult situations.|
|Technical/scientific credibility||Ensures that work is in compliance with internationally accepted professional standards and scientific methods. Provides scientifically/technically accepted information that is credible and reliable.|
|Management and Programme Analysis||Analysis of Best Practices||Ability to identify, collect, synthesize and use best practices.|
|Human Resources||Change Management||Demonstrated experienced in using change management tools and techniques and in preparing individuals, teams or organizations to adopt and transition to a future operational status.|
|Human Resources||Facilitation||Designing and running successful meetings, workshops, and training events.|
|General Services||Quality Management||Thorough knowledge of quality management principles and demonstrated experience in supporting and/or implementing quality management systems.|
|Management and Programme Analysis||Project Management||Knowledge of project management.|
|Management and Programme Analysis||Risk Management||Experience in the identification, assessment, prioritization and mitigation of risks.|
|Safeguards||Safeguards System, Basic||Basic knowledge of safeguards concepts and approaches and how they are used.|
Qualifications, Experience and Language skills
- Advanced university degree in business management, operations management, systems engineering, industrial engineering, business information technology or other related fields of study.
- Project management certification (PMI, Prince2) or equivalent desirable.
- Certification in Lean/Six Sigma Green/Black belt highly desirable.
- Additional certifications in quality and/or business process management highly desirable.
- Minimum of 10 years of progressively responsible and relevant work experience in one or more of the following fields\: business process management, operations management, systems engineering, continual process improvement, quality management implementation.
- Demonstrated experience in documenting, designing, modelling, measuring, improving, and/or reengineering business processes.
- Demonstrated experience in using BPMN 2.0. or other process modelling notation.
- Demonstrated experience in designing and implementing process improvement activities.
- Demonstrated experience involving management of technical projects and resources (financial and staff resources) desirable.
- Excellent oral and written command of English. Knowledge of other official IAEA languages (Arabic, Chinese, French, Russian and Spanish) is an asset.
The IAEA offers an attractive remuneration package including a tax-free annual net base salary starting at US $88162 (subject to mandatory deductions for pension contributions and health insurance), a variable post adjustment which currently amounts to US $ 35177, dependency benefits, rental subsidy, education grant, relocation and repatriation expenses; 6 weeks' annual vacation, home leave, pension plan and health insurance
Applications from qualified women and candidates from developing countries are encouraged
Applicants should be aware that IAEA staff members are international civil servants and may not accept instructions from any other authority. The IAEA is committed to applying the highest ethical standards in carrying out its mandate. As part of the United Nations common system, the IAEA subscribes to the following core ethical standards (or values)\: Integrity, Professionalism and Respect for diversity. Staff members may be assigned to any location. The IAEA retains the discretion not to make any appointment to this vacancy, to make an appointment at a lower grade or with a different contract type, or to make an appointment with a modified job description or for shorter duration than indicated above. Testing may be part of the recruitment process