Ciudad Obregón (Mexico) | Sonora
The International Maize and Wheat Improvement Center, known by its Spanish acronym, CIMMYT®, is a not-for-profit agricultural research for development organization with partners in over 100 countries. Please refer to our website for more information: www.cimmyt.org
CIMMYT is seeking a dynamic, self-motivated, and service-oriented professional for the position of Research Associate to work in the Global Wheat Program (GWP).
The position is based at CIMMYT’s campus in Ciudad Obregon, Sonora, located at Calle Dr. Norman Borlaug, Km.12, Valle del Yaqui, and Ciudad Obregón, Sonora.
- Stablish good communication with supervisors, teams under supervision, and station manager.
- Supervise and execute of field preparations for planting, data collection, harvesting and seed preparation.
- Organize and supervise teams assigned to specific activities.
- Plan and prepare materials for conducting breeding and research activities.
- Elaborate planting maps
- Organize day-to-day activities such as trial identification in the field, rust inoculations, chemical treatments to trials, etc.
- Keep track of field management activities along with the station manager’s team.
- Participate in tasks that occur during the different stages of the crop cycle assigned to the Unit.
- Report the tasks performed and the results achieved in the project that has been assigned.
- Report to your immediate supervisor any abnormal situations that arise in the development of the project assigned, for immediate correction.
- Attend working visits to other CIMMYT field trials and/or research stations.
- Keep a check on inventories of products and materials used and request a replacement when required.
- Verify that equipment and facilities are in good operating condition and report any maintenance needed.
- Perform support activities that are required in the unit, according to the instructions of your manager.
- Contribute to the training and updating of knowledge and research techniques to the rest of the staff working in the unit, and keep updated on new research.
Required academic qualifications, skills and attitudes:
- Bachelor’s degree in Agronomy, Agriculture or related fields.
- Preferable, the position requires a minimum work experience of 2 years.
- Willingness to travel to multiple locations in Mexico, where field activities are conducted. (Texcoco, Toluca and Cd. Obregon).
- Must have excellent driving skills.
- Ability to work in a multi-cultural, diverse workplace.
- Experienced user of Microsoft Word, Excel and Outlook.
- Knowledge of English will consider as an advantage.
- The selected candidate must exhibit the following competencies: Communication, Conflict Resolution, Pro-activity, Multi-Cultural Awareness/ Sensitivity, Teamwork and Customer orientation.
- The candidate must exhibit sense of urgency and commitment to his responsibilities and deadlines.
CIMMYT offers an attractive remuneration package and support for continuous professional development. In addition to the provisions of the Mexican Labor Law our package of benefits includes year-end bonus (40 days), vacation premium (56%), life and medical insurance, supermarket coupons, savings fund, social Mexican benefits (IMSS, SAR / Infonavit).
Candidates must apply online to M20121 Research Associate. Screening and follow up will begin on Wednesday, March 4, 2020. For more information on the recruitment process, please contact Karen Luna (email@example.com).
Please note only short-listed candidates will be contacted.
Foreign national candidates must have legal documents to work in Mexico.
This position will remain open until filled.
CIMMYT is an equal opportunity employer. It fosters a multicultural work environment that values gender equality, teamwork, and respect for diversity. Women are encouraged to apply.