This position will be responsible for overseeing and coordinating technical operations, ensuring that allocations of technical resources are aligned with the program’s vision, goals, and plans to achieve expected results. With guidance and support from the Country Program Director (CPD), the Technical Director will coordinate the provision of technical services, harmonize efforts, and maximize synergy and integration among program areas and technical units. Along with the CPD and the other senior staff, s/he will set a positive tone for the entire project and inspire staff to apply problem-solving, proactive, and results-based approaches for timely delivery of results to the clients we serve.
Technical Leadership and Managerial Oversight (100%)
- Provide technical leadership and managerial oversight for the program technical team and ensure the efficient implementation of project activities, and regular and ad-hoc reporting of those activities to USAID and MTaPS headquarters.
- Supervise, mentor, and build the capacity of the in-country technical team to develop and implement technical assistance and capacity development plans that lead to the effective implementation of the program's strategy, objectives, and work plan.
- Oversee and coordinate international short-term technical assistance to ensure alignment with the workplan and achievement of programmatic goals.
- Assist CPD with coordinating collaboration with partners, donors, clients, and stakeholders, including MTaPS headquarters technical experts. Maintain the program’s partnerships to ensure performs highly, engenders trust and respect, and builds USAID’s confidence in MSH’s ability to lead and deliver.
- Promote a team approach that emphasizes high level performance, creative methods, achievement of project goals and results, and a collegial approach that is focused on assisting one another to succeed.
- Advise the CPD in alignment of human resources with project work plans and emerging scope of work (SOW) from the donors, MSH, and partners, including on external sourcing of human resources, consultants, and sub-contractors.
- Under the guidance of CPD, MTaPS home office, and USAID Mission, set direction and coordinate annual work plan development, implementation, and review. S/he will ensure alignment of work plan with DOH, other government agencies, and USAID frameworks and strategies.
- Coordinate efforts to write concept notes and new approaches to address emerging programming challenges identified by donors, counterparts, MSH, and MTaPs Program headquarters.
- Coordination the technical team and provide guidance on ad-hoc and regular review and analysis of data, including global and country-specific indicators to measure program performance, to identify risks to project implementation, and to define evidence-based actions to mitigate them, and designing new or expanded activities.
- Coordinate the technical teams on development of success stories, content to website and social media, guidelines, articles, papers, and other types of publications.
- Coordinate the senior technical team to monitor implementation of activities, ensuring that deliverables are completed with quality and on time, using standard tools in collaboration with MTaPS home office technical teams.
- Contribute to the project knowledge management system.
- Work in close collaboration with the CPD and Finance and Operations Unit to ensure coordinated and effective operational support for the program.
- Serve as a member of the MTaPS Philippines Leadership Team. With the CPD and other senior members of the Field Office, adapt and implement technical excellence standards and management systems with standard operating procedures to administer all activities of the project.
- Represent MTaPS Philippines in meetings, conferences, and other events, as required.
- Act in place of the CPD, when appropriate.
- Perform other duties, as assigned.
Qualifications and Experience
- Master's degree or above in public health, epidemiology, or related field.
- 7 years of related experience at senior manager level.
Knowledge and Skills:
- In depth skill and experience in procurement and supply chain management, health systems strengthening, and other pharmaceutical service-related areas, such as governance, private sector engagement, information systems and resource management, rational use of medicines and medical products, regulatory system, and antimicrobial stewardship.
- Demonstrated ability to build and maintain relationships with senior-level personnel, particularly interacting productively, proactively, and comfortably with government agencies, NGOs, private sector groups, USAID, PEPFAR, and other development organizations.
- Demonstrated experience in program management and administration, and contract compliance. Experience with USAID funded projects is required.
- Must have a proven track record of building teams and fostering collaboration in order to achieve goals, meet milestones, and produce high quality written qualitative, quantitative, and narrative deliverables.
- Track record of strong commitment to knowledge sharing, documenting experiences, supporting creative initiatives, and sharing credit.
- Demonstrated experience in program management and administration, and contract compliance.
- Demonstrated strategic agility, diplomacy, conflict management, team building, written and oral communication, and negotiation skills.
- Fluency in English is required (oral and written).
- Good judgment for decision making.
- Strong interpersonal and communication skills; ability to build consensus and constructively lead a team.
- Collaborative leadership approach that contributes to positive team environment and builds strong relationships with people from all backgrounds, genders, cultures, and viewpoints.
- Excellent ability to build personal networks at all levels, resulting in securing new opportunities and strategic growth for the organization in relation to the practice area.
- Energetic, forward-thinking, and creative with intellectual flexibility and depth and strong ethical reasoning.
- High level capacity to work in a variety of cultural settings, complex environments, and fragile states.
- Proven record of aligning diverse, multi-level teams towards a shared vision.
- Ability to travel internationally and domestically up to 40% of the time.