Senior Specialist, Internal Communications
Los Angeles (United States of America)
International Medical Corps is a global humanitarian nonprofit organization dedicated to saving lives and relieving suffering through health care training and relief and development programs.
Established in 1984 by volunteer doctors and nurses, International Medical Corps is a private, voluntary, nonpolitical, nonsectarian organization. Its mission is to improve the quality of life through health interventions and related activities that build local capacity in areas worldwide. By offering training and health care to local populations and medical assistance to people at high risk, and with the flexibility to respond rapidly to emergency situations, International Medical Corps rehabilitates devastated health care systems and helps bring them back to self-reliance.
Serves as a writer, editor and project manager for International Medical Corps’ internal communications program, which communicates organizational news and views to the agency’s approximately 7,000 employees worldwide. Also contributes to the Global Communications team’s efforts, working on a wide range of printed and online communications and marketing collateral.
Provides editorial and project management support for internal communications efforts, working closely with Global Communications staff and with staff throughout the organization to craft and distribute timely information on a regular basis about the organization’s achievements, initiatives and priorities.
Supports the development of content for the organization’s internal communications channels, including:
- Quarterly Town Halls, featuring top executives
- Periodic “Increase Your Knowledge” sessions examining a range of topics, presented by subject-matter experts throughout the agency and geared toward a variety of audiences.
- A weekly e-newsletter to the agency’s staff, including timely news and links to in-depth information
- Talking points and FAQs
- Cascade communications processes
- International Medical Corps SharePoint communications site, One Corps
- Supports executive communications efforts, leveraging the channels above as well as other channels (e.g., presentations).
- Monitors internal and external sources to build subject-matter expertise; develops deep relationships with relevant staff throughout the organization; provides counsel on internal communications priorities, methods and means of distribution.
- Performance of other duties as assigned by manager. The duties and responsibilities listed are representative of the nature and level of the work assigned and are not necessarily all-inclusive.
Code of Conduct
It is our shared responsibility and obligation to prevent matters involving Sexual Exploitation & Abuse, Trafficking in Persons, Child Safeguarding and any suggested violation to our Code of Conduct, which may involve Conflicts of Interest, Fraud, Corruption or Harassment. If you see, hear or are made aware of any suggested activities then you have an obligation to report.
- Bachelor’s degree, Advanced Degree a plus
- Minimum five to seven years of experience as an editor, writer and project manager in a dynamic, fast-paced, high-volume work environment. Knowledge of internal communications best practices.
- Excellent writing, copyediting and proofreading skills; able to interpret and simplify technical language to adapt it for a wide range of audiences.
- Excellent research, interviewing and writing skills; adept at writing clean, engaging copy under deadline pressure.
- Strong organizational and project-management skills; ability to oversee production of a high volume of quality work within tight timeframes, often including multiple simultaneous projects. High level of attention to detail.
- Strong communication and interpersonal skills; ability to communicate effectively with people inside and outside of the organization, and to manage working relationships diplomatically.
International Medical Corps is proud to provide equal employment opportunities to all employees and qualified applicants without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, national or ethnic origin, age, disability or status as a veteran.