Laboratory and Diagnostic Advisor
POSITION TITLE: Laboratory and Diagnostic Advisor
REPORTS TO: Chief of Party
LOCATION: Makati City, Philippines
FHI 360/Philippines (www.fhi360.org) through the TB Innovations and Health Systems Strengthening (TBIHSS) Project, a 5-year USAID-funded project that aims to strengthen national and regional level implementation of the National TB Strategic Plan by providing state-of-the-art capacity building and technical expertise to scale-up TB and DR-TB prevention, detection, and treatment. The Project will identify and help implement proven approaches to improve prevention, increase case detection rates, decrease default rates, and increase treatment success and cure rates across the continuum of care. Laboratory and diagnostics are key components of the TBIHSS which provide technical support to the National TB Control Program (NTP) and the National TB Reference lab on different aspects of TB diagnostics.
Laboratory and Diagnostics Advisor shall be responsible for the management of all laboratory diagnostics network strengthening activities of the project in the country. S/he will provide technical support to the Department of Health (DOH), NTP and stakeholders on developing or updating laboratory strategy. Take the lead in the overall conduct of planning and implementing activities to improve quality and performance of laboratory services.
- Provide strategic leadership and guidance to the laboratory and diagnostics component of the project in coordination with other project technical areas;
- Work in close collaboration with national counterparts to provide the technical assistance required to fulfill the national objectives and targets specifically related to the Laboratory network strategic plan, work plan and quality management system;
- Provide technical support and mentorship in the planning, conduct and reporting of assessments, audits, and accreditation-ready inspections of Tuberculosis clinical laboratories against ISO 15189 or other standards performing services to the Laboratory System Strengthening component of the TBIHSS;
- Provide advisory services to the National Tuberculosis Reference Laboratory (NTRL) as well as other stakeholders on the development and implementation of continuous improvement initiatives upon request to build tuberculosis laboratory capacity and quality with reference to ISO 15189 or other standards and requirements;
- Provide technical and coordination support as needed for the implementation of quality assurance program for clinical laboratories for TB diagnostics;
- Provide technical support in the implementation of diagnostic network strengthening activities such as specimen referral and transport system, laboratory information management system (laboratory connectivity) and expansion of molecular diagnostic tests;
- Provide onsite on-the-job technical assistance to laboratories and others as required and requested as part of overall capacity building and continuous improvement schemes;
- Provide expert advice in preparation of training materials, standard operating procedures, job aids and deliver trainings to TB laboratories;
- Coordinate and support selection, procurement, distribution, and maintenance of laboratory supplies and instrumentations for laboratories performing services and duties as needed;
- Provide technical assistance to NTP/ NTRL for expanding specimen referral system, laboratory connectivity and data management/reporting;
- Work with the NTRL leadership to enhance and oversee the TB diagnostic network, update the diagnostic algorithm and conduct First-Line (FL) / Second-Line (SL) culture, Drug Susceptibility testing (DST) and Line Prove Assay (LPA);
- Responsible for providing technical assistance on establishing new TB diagnostics as they become available, implementing the laboratory information system, the infection prevention control policies and the biosafety and biosecurity measures in TB laboratories
- Provide technical assistance to develop infection prevention control policies, laboratory biosafety/ biosecurity manual and waste management guidelines and help to ensure safe working practices in TB laboratories;
- Work with the project management and technical teams in developing and assisting in the preparation of work plans, power point presentations and reports, and represent project/organization as required.
- Bachelor’s degree or its international equivalent in biological or laboratory sciences within a clinical or diagnostic discipline or specialization. Master’s degree is an advantage;
- Highly experienced working with government officials, particularly with the DOH is highly desirable, to support strategy development, implementation plans and decision making;
- With at least 5 years working experience with TB diagnostics and/or TB laboratory systems strengthening;
- With at least 5-year related work experience in laboratory quality assurance, quality control and audits or at least 7 years in a senior laboratory management position;
- Proven ability to design and perform field operational research;
- Excellent problem-solving skills;
- Well-versed in training and mentoring staff and others;
- Excellent oral and written communication skills;
- Experience in private sector laboratory and diagnostics is preferred;
- Ability to travel locally for 20-25% of the time.
- Open for Filipino Nationals
This job description summarizes the main duties of the job. It neither prescribes nor restricts the exact tasks that may be assigned to carry out these duties. This document should not be construed in any way to represent a contract of employment. Management reserves the right to review and revise this document at any time.
Please submit your covering letter and resume directly to email@example.com