ICT Associate (Linux and Automation Associate)
Background Information - Job-specific
*** THIS IS A LOCAL POSITION FOR WHICH ONLY APPLICANTS WHO POSSESS THE SPANISH NATIONALITY OR A VALID RESIDENCE AND WORK PERMIT IN SPAIN ARE ELIGIBLE FOR CONSIDERATION ***
The ICT Associate (Linux and Automation Associate) will carry out his/her tasks within the Platform Support Unit in the Field Technology Service (FTS) at the UN ICT Facility, Valencia (UNICTFV). Under the overall supervision of UNOPS Information Systems Officer, the incumbent works under the guidance of the Chief Infrastructure and Operations Section in the UNGSC Valencia, Spain, provides specific expertise in the implementation and operation of the UN Hybrid Cloud strategy for the back end infrastructure including: storage arrays, SAN switches, processing cloud services and tools to monitor performance, availability and capacity of the hybrid environment.
Under the overall supervision of UNOPS Senior Programme Manager, the incumbent works under the guidance of the Chief Infrastructure and Operations Section in the UNGSC and will report to the Information Systems Officer or his/her designate and is responsible for the following duties:
Summary of Key Functions
- Linux and Automation Support
- Technical Support
- Knowledge Management
Linux and Automation Support:
Automate tasks using Ansible and PowerShell for Linux and Windows systems.
Operate System Center Configuration Manager to deploy software, monitor health, and enforce compliance across all devices in the organization.
Operate Red Hat Satellite system management solution to deploy, configure and maintain systems across multiple environments.
Automate infrastructure deployments using Infrastructure as a Code solutions and framework using Terraform.
Maintain Linux server infrastructure that support several mission critical applications.
Maintain virtualization platform infrastructure and provide support to customers.
Operate Microsoft Azure and Amazon Web Services cloud and on-prem infrastructure at data centres as well as overlay onto existing hosted server network.
Develop scripts for operation process automation based on systems engineering and configuration management frameworks.
Act as technical resource on deployment projects, including hands-on configuration of complex components.
Contribute to solve complex problems on cloud and data centre specific activities.
Participate in on-call rotation.
- Continually explore, evaluate and recommend advanced technologies to provide higher quality service, scalability and modern architectural standards.
- Perform other duties as may be reasonably required and in line with the incumbent’s scope of services above
- High school diploma or equivalent.
- Cloud related related certifications.
- Automation related certifications.
- ITIL Foundation certification.
- A minimum of six (6) years of progressively responsible experience in the field of information technology and/or telecommunications and systems, preferably in an international environment.
- A minimum of five (5) years of experience with both Linux and Windows technologies and their use in delivering secure, highly available, mission critical enterprise-class solutions
- A minimum of five (5) years of experience with virtualization and related technologies in complex and multilocation environments (e.g. VMware, VMware SRM, etc).
- Solid scripting skills (e.g. shell scripts, PowerShell, Python)
- Experience using Terraform to automate Infrastructure deployments in cloud environment – Highly desirable
- Experience supporting multi location enterprise grade data centre.
- Cloud experience, preferably in Amazon Web Services (AWS) or Microsoft Azure.
- Experience with Log Management Platform (e.g. Elastic, Kibana, Logstash)
- Experience with automation software (e.g. SCCM, Ansible, Red Hat Satellite)
- Fluency in spoken and written English is a requirement;
- Knowledge of a second UN language an advantage.
|Treats all individuals with respect; responds sensitively to differences and encourages others to do the same. Upholds organizational and ethical norms. Maintains high standards of trustworthiness. Role model for diversity and inclusion. |
|Acts as a positive role model contributing to the team spirit. Collaborates and supports the development of others. For people managers only: Acts as positive leadership role model, motivates, directs and inspires others to succeed, utilizing appropriate leadership styles.|
|Demonstrates understanding of the impact of own role on all partners and always puts the end beneficiary first. Builds and maintains strong external relationships and is a competent partner for others (if relevant to the role).|
|Efficiently establishes an appropriate course of action for self and/or others to accomplish a goal. Actions lead to total task accomplishment through concern for quality in all areas. Sees opportunities and takes the initiative to act on them. Understands that responsible use of resources maximizes our impact on our beneficiaries.|
|Open to change and flexible in a fast paced environment. Effectively adapts own approach to suit changing circumstances or requirements. Reflects on experiences and modifies own behavior. Performance is consistent, even under pressure. Always pursues continuous improvements.|
|Evaluates data and courses of action to reach logical, pragmatic decisions. Takes an unbiased, rational approach with calculated risks. Applies innovation and creativity to problem-solving.|
|Expresses ideas or facts in a clear, concise and open manner. Communication indicates a consideration for the feelings and needs of others. Actively listens and proactively shares knowledge. Handles conflict effectively, by overcoming differences of opinion and finding common ground.|
Contract type, level and duration
Contract type: Staff
Contract level: G6
Contract duration: One year initially, renewable subject to satisfactory performance and funding availability
For more details about United Nations staff contracts, please follow this link: https://www.unops.org/english/Opportunities/job-opportunities/what-we-offer/Pages/UN-Staff-Contracts.aspx
- Please note that the closing date is midnight Copenhagen time
- Applications received after the closing date will not be considered.
- Only those candidates that are short-listed for interviews will be notified.
- Qualified female candidates are strongly encouraged to apply.
- UNOPS seeks to reasonably accommodate candidates with special needs, upon request.
- Work life harmonization - UNOPS values its people and recognizes the importance of balancing professional and personal demands. We have a progressive policy on work-life harmonization and offer several flexible working options. This policy applies to UNOPS personnel on all contract types
- UNOPS seeks to reasonably accommodate candidates with special needs, upon request.
- For staff positions only, UNOPS reserves the right to appoint a candidate at a lower level than the advertised level of the post
- The incumbent is responsible to abide by security policies, administrative instructions, plans and procedures of the UN Security Management System and that of UNOPS.
It is the policy of UNOPS to conduct background checks on all potential recruits/interns. Recruitment/internship in UNOPS is contingent on the results of such checks.
Background Information - UNOPS
UNOPS is an operational arm of the United Nations, supporting the successful implementation of its partners’ peacebuilding, humanitarian and development projects around the world. Our mission is to help people build better lives and countries achieve sustainable development.
UNOPS areas of expertise cover infrastructure, procurement, project management, financial management and human resources.
Working with us
UNOPS offers short- and long-term work opportunities in diverse and challenging environments across the globe. We are looking for creative, results-focused professionals with skills in a range of disciplines.
With over 4,000 UNOPS personnel and approximately 7,000 personnel recruited on behalf of UNOPS partners spread across 80 countries, our workforce represents a wide range of nationalities and cultures. We promote a balanced, diverse workforce — a strength that helps us better understand and address our partners’ needs, and continually strive to improve our gender balance through initiatives and policies that encourage recruitment of qualified female candidates.
Work life harmonization
UNOPS values its people and recognizes the importance of balancing professional and personal demands.
Background Information: Sustainable Development Cluster(SDC)
Based in New York, the Sustainable Development Cluster (SDC) supports diverse partners with their peacebuilding, humanitarian and development operations.
The SDC’s services include grants management, development and special initiatives support, and technology support to the UN and UN agencies.
The SDC is part of the New York Service Cluster that supports the United Nations Secretariat, as well as a broadening community of other New York-based United Nations organizations, bilateral and multilateral partners in the delivery of UNOPS mandate in project management, infrastructure management, and procurement management.