Associate Education Policy Analyst
Post Number : 6SNIEP0059PA
Grade : P-1
Parent Sector : Education Sector (ED)
Duty Station: Dakar
Job Family: Education
Type of contract : Project Appointment
Duration of contract : 1 year renewable (subject to satisfactory performance and availability of funds)
Recruitment open to : Internal and external candidates
Application Deadline (Midnight Paris Time) : 09-APR-2020
UNESCO Core Values: Commitment to the Organization, Integrity, Respect for Diversity, Professionalism
OVERVIEW OF THE FUNCTIONS OF THE POST
Pôle de Dakar is the International Institute for Educational Planning’s (IIEP) Africa-based office located in Dakar, Senegal. IIEP is a UNESCO specialized institute with a mandate to strengthen Member States’ capacity to plan and manage their education systems. IIEP Pôle de Dakar, is renowned for its cutting edge educational sector analyses and supports African countries in developing realistic and credible education sector analyses and plans in support of the Education 2030 agenda, an essential part of the 2030 Agenda for Sustainable Development.
OVERVIEW OF THE FUNCTIONS OF THE POST
Through a capacity development approach, IIEP Pôle de Dakar contributes to the creation of diagnostic analyses, sector plans and pedagogical tools. In concert, these contribute to more relevant and sustainable educational policies across Africa. IIEP Pole de Dakar is also actively involved in applied research and tool development in educational policy, planning and management in Africa. For more information about its activities please follow this link Pôle de Dakar
In addition to an attractive salary and benefits package, IIEP continuously seeks creative ways to motivate, energize and grow its people by providing meaningful work and learning opportunities.
Under the overall authority of the Director of IIEP and the Coordinator of the Pôle de Dakar, and the direct supervision of the Program Manager, the incumbent contributes to the activities related to the analysis, planning, implementation, management, and monitoring of education and training policies in Africa. The research conducted and subsequent outputs will be subject to internal review and validation procedures, as determined by the Coordinator of Pôle de Dakar. More specifically, the selected candidate will be assigned the following tasks:
1. Assist African countries in the development, implementation and monitoring of education and training sector policies through:
a. Support to education sector analysis or thematic analysis;
b. Support to discussions with top officials within the framework of educational policy tradeoffs and the development of national strategy documents (education policy documents, Simulation Models, Education Sector Plans, Medium Term Expenditure Frameworks, Action Plans, etc.).
2. Support the Institute efforts to boost international initiatives for the Education 2030 Agenda through :
a. Knowledge creation on the status of education and training in Africa;
b. Design of tools for analysis, planning, implementation, management, monitoring and evaluation of education and training policies in Africa;
c. Creation of training materials and implementation of outreach strategies that meet the needs of targeted audiences.
3. Contribute to the professional development of officials in charge of education planning, management and training in Africa through targeted and context based training interventions.
4. Contribute to and support the implementation of training initiatives developed by the Pôle de Dakar in collaboration with its partners.
Knowledge sharing and continuous improvement (C)
Planning and organizing (C)
Results focus (C)
For detailed information, please consult the UNESCO Competency Framework.
5. Contribute to the creating, use and dissemination of relevant information and resource materials in the education and training sectors in Africa by :
a. Participating in the drafting of substantive and high quality methodological or thematic notes in collaboration with other colleagues,
b. Contributing to the update of PDK’s website and interactive spaces for documentation and exchanges around education and training policies in Africa (digital bibliography, statistics, policy documents, etc.).
• Advanced university degree (Master’s degree or equivalent) in economics, statistics or social sciences.
• Minimum two (2) years of relevant working experience in the fields of sector analysis, planning and management of education systems, of which preferably one (1) year acquired at international level.
Skills and competencies
• Excellent knowledge of statistical and econometric techniques applicable to the education sector.
• Knowledge of education systems in developing countries particularly in Africa and their associated challenges.
• Knowledge of adult learning principles and design of targeted training materials.
• Knowledge of monitoring and evaluation methodologies and tools of education projects and programmes.
• Excellent IT skills, including knowledge of statistical software such SPSS, SAS, STATA and spreadsheets.
• Ability to communicate and conduct negotiations with diverse partners with tact and diplomacy.
• Ability to work individually and in teams within a multicultural environment.
• Ability to undertake regular missions, especially in challenging environments.
• Ability to work under pressure and meet deadlines.
• Excellent knowledge of French or English and good working knowledge of the other language.
• Experience in the design of education and training sector development plans and budgeted action plans.
• Previous experience in the field of African education systems.
Skills and competencies
• Good knowledge of the problems of education in the context of developing countries particularly in Africa.
BENEFITS AND ENTITLEMENTS
• Knowledge of Portuguese.
UNESCO salaries consist of a net base salary plus a post adjustment sum which varies from duty station to duty station. Other benefits include 30 days annual leave, maternity and paternity leave, an education grant, a family allowance, medical insurance and a generous pension plan.
For more information about the benefits and entitlements for International Professional Staff, please follow this link ICSC website.ASSESSMENT
Evaluation of qualified candidates may include a written test followed by a competency-based interview.Footer
UNESCO applies a zero tolerance policy against all forms of harassment.
UNESCO is committed to achieve and sustain gender parity among its staff members in all categories and at all grades. Furthermore, UNESCO is committed to achieving workforce diversity in terms of gender, nationality and culture. Individuals from minority groups, indigenous groups and persons with disabilities, as well as nationals from non-and under-represented Member States (last update here) are equally encouraged to apply.
All applications will be treated with the strictest confidence. UNESCO does not charge a fee at any stage of the recruitment process.