Earth Observation Services Coordinator
INTERNAL VACANCY NOTICE
ALL STAFF MEMBERS INTERESTED
ARE INVITED TO APPLY
EUROPEAN SPACE AGENCY
Vacancy in the Directorate of Earth Observation Programmes
ESA is an equal opportunity employer, committed to achieving diversity within the workforce and creating an inclusive working environment. Applications from women are encouraged.
Earth Observation Services Coordinator
This post is classified A2-A4 on the Coordinated Organisations’ salary scale.
ESRIN, Frascati, Italy
Services Coordinator, Common Services Section, ESA Ground Segment and Data Management Division in the Mission Management and Ground Segment Department, Directorate of Earth Observation Programmes.
You will be part of the ESA team responsible for managing the provision of support services for Payload Data Ground Segment (PDGS) operations for ESA Earth Observation, Third-Party and Copernicus missions. You will coordinate the procurement, operations and evolution of all resources necessary to provide one or more of the common services in terms of scope, including user and information services, data management, archiving and access services, network and infrastructure services.
Your main duties will be:
- collecting user requirements by interfacing with relevant stakeholders such as Mission Managers/Ground Segment Managers/Common Services Coordinator/EO scientific user community with a view to evolving current services or integrating new missions/services in ways that ensure coherence, standardisation, security and optimised cost;
- timely preparing of all required contractual documentation, placing the necessary procurement actions; supervising delivery and performance of service suppliers, ensuring service level agreement compliance, defining and implementing mitigation actions when necessary;
- contributing to the overall Common Services Section risk management process by running risk management sessions specific to managed services;
- supporting quality assurance in the preparation of new elements, defining transfer to operations phases compliant with the service portfolio;
- ensuring compliance with and execution of configuration and change management control processes for the managed payload data facilities, services and infrastructure, as applicable;
- reporting regularly on the operational, financial and industrial aspects of these services, providing statistics reflecting service metrics and user behaviour;
- monitoring and reporting on end-to-end process performance of the entire data request life cycle, proposing areas for improvement.
You will initially take on the role of Services Coordinator for the provision of IT, network and technical infrastructure services to other Department units. Specific tasks include:
- coordinating the definition, implementation, operations and evolution of the informatics, network and security infrastructure for existing and future EO PDGS for ESA missions;
- supporting the Department in defining ICT and security products or the operations concept, including collecting and defining operations requirements for new ESA and Third-Party missions;
- delivering ICT and security services to EOP projects with periodic monitoring of services performance, status and progress reporting against the SLA, in accordance with needs expressed by missions, in so doing promoting the utilisation, and managing delegation to other ESA Directorates where appropriate, of the implemented ICT and security services;
- ensuring coherence of EOP ICT and security infrastructure and their integration within the Agency’s overall infrastructure, contributing to define its overall strategy.
Your tasks may as necessary include managing any other services provided by the Section and assisting the Head of Section with other tasks as required.
A Master's degree or equivalent qualification in a relevant physical science or engineering subject is required
You should have a:
- Good understanding of service management process and most common practises
- Very good understanding of security and data protection principles applied to services exposed to public Flexibility in dealing with day-to-day operational challenges, together with a demonstrated planning and organisational skills
- Good understanding of ESA EO missions and their needs in managing EO data
- Minimum of 3 years of proven experience in project or service management, experience in other areas will be considered as an asset
- Minimum of 3 years of experience of technical or service management, and having knowledge of Earth Observation data.
For behavioural competencies expected from ESA staff in general, please refer to the ESA Competency Framework
The working languages of the Agency are English and French. A good knowledge of one of these is required. Knowledge of another Member State language would be an asset.
The Agency may require applicants to undergo selection tests.
The closing date for applications is 9 April 2020.
If you require support with your application due to a disability, please email email@example.com.