HeForShe Graphic Design Internship
New York City (United States of America)
UN Women, grounded in the vision of equality enshrined in the Charter of the United Nations, works for the elimination of discrimination against women and girls; the empowerment of women; and the achievement of equality between women and men as partners and beneficiaries of development, human rights, humanitarian action and peace and security.
Created by UN Women, the HeForShe solidarity movement for gender equality provides a systematic approach and targeted platform on which men and boys can engage and become change agents towards the achievement of gender equality. HeForShe invites men and boys to build on the work of the women’s movement as equal partners, crafting and implementing a shared vision of gender equality that will benefit all of humanity. For more information, visit http://www.heforshe.org/en
The UN Women HeForShe initiative is looking for a Graphic Designer Intern to support the creation of designed graphic collateral, both for digital and print purposes, to support the many efforts of the movement. This position will play a key role in the execution of HeForShe visual design, production of collateral and brand aesthetic. The graphic designer will have a lot of responsibilities and will be relied on to confidently execute with timeliness and consistency, in addition to working in an open and collaborative way with other company functions including content, operations, editorial, etc. This role will also advocate and drive convincing designs for the development of supporter experience and marketing strategies; drive the collaborative efforts of the project’s creative, production and web teams and inspire creative teams in all areas of expertise to exceed expectations. A strong working knowledge of experience design, brand development, interactive commerce and creative process is essential to performing this challenging role. Working in a dynamic environment, the graphic designer will also be an efficient time manager capable of juggling a variety of project deadlines.
Duties and Responsibilities
Essential job functions:
- Produce superb quality design that advances the HeForShe brand strategy, graphics, and collateral across digital and offline channels.
- Create visually beautiful and satisfying graphics for online platforms, including social media and print collaterals including posters.
- Produce motion graphics and edit video content in a professional manner;
- Deliver strong, convincing designs and partner effectively with external creative teams;
- Work with vendor partners to ensure a consistency in the look and feel across all stages of design across the HeForShe brand.
- Accountable for developing creative work of the highest caliber;
- Provide quality control over concepts and projects, contribute creative solutions and innovations that strengthen the HeForShe brand.
Core Values and Guiding Principles:
- Demonstrate consistency in upholding and promoting the values of UN Women in actions and decisions, in line with the UN Code of Conduct.
- Demonstrate professional competence and expert knowledge of the pertinent substantive areas of work.
Respect for diversity:
- Demonstrate an appreciation of the multicultural nature of the organization and the diversity of its staff;
- Demonstrate an international outlook, appreciating the difference in values and learning from cultural diversity.
- Held colleagues and team members accountable for planned goals and competency standards;
- Practiced giving and receiving constructive feedback.
- Proactively informed clients, preventing loss of time and errors;
- Responded to questions, resolve problems, and helped provide accurate information to clients;
- Identified, understood, and addressed client needs.
Commitment to Learning:
- Learned about the agency, its processes, structure, challenges, and environment;
- Contributed to knowledge sharing.
- Produced communication products (written and oral);
- Interpreted key messages for and from clients with cultural sensitivity.
Planning and Organizing:
- Developed work plans;
- Implemented activities in a timely manner, met deadlines.
- Coordinated work and roles with other team members;
- Supported goals of the team;
- Demonstrate informed and transparent decision making.
Required Skills and Experience
- Undergraduate degree in Communications, Graphic Design, Fine Arts or related field or equivalent visual design experience required.
- Excellent IT skills, especially with design and photo-editing software (Professional knowledge of Photoshop, Illustrator, InDesign or equivalent software);
- Ability to concept unique ideas for video and motion graphics projects and advertising campaigns;
- A knack and desire for collaborating with copywriters, editors, designers, and producers;
- A strong working knowledge of the fundamentals of film production, 2D & 3D design and animation, video and sound editing, photography;
- The ability to provide clear creative direction with timely, helpful feedback that will improve the quality of our work;
- Advanced experience managing the creative development process in a client-services environment to ensure top quality work;
- Excellent presentation skills and communication abilities at all levels, both with internal and client teams;
- Ability to prioritize work and resources across engagements based on short- and long-term need;
- Exceptional creativity and innovation;
- Ability to respond to short deadlines and demonstrate a quick turn-around and execution of creative work.
- English and French are the official languages of the United Nations Secretariat;
- For the post advertised, fluency in oral and written English is required. Knowledge of another UN language is an advantage.
- Candidates must submit a link to a personal portfolio with application.