Communications Senior Officer - Public Relations and Outreach (retainer position)
Background Information - Job-specific
Nordic Support for Progress of North Macedonia
This will ensure national ownership and support the development of national capacities.
Background Information – relevant for the assignment
On the basis of the conducted training needs analysis and developed training plan, the project is implementing the training activities through outsourced expertise/consultancy.
Background Information - Job-specific
- Topic 1 - General presentation and communication skills. How to prepare for presentation, (including using PowerPoint “do’s/don’ts) how to establish communication with the audience, how to keep their attention (what not to do), fundamentals of public appearance skills;
- Topic 2 - Public communication and internal communication within MFA. How to prepare MFA statement, formulate key messages, how to secure MFA speaking with one voice and secure that entire MFA staff understands the policy and rational behind it.
- Topic 3 - Social networks management. Understanding how social media work, how to write a social media message, how to be to the point and attractive with 154 characters.
- Topic 4 - Leadership skills. Focus should be on practical tools e.g. on how to act in (any type of) negotiations, dynamics of negotiations, working with subordinates and gaining their confidence and support, as their leader
Assignment will be conducted through the series of five workshops. Two (two-day) workshop will be devoted to the topic 1: first in June/July 2020, and the second in the first half of 2021). One (two-day) workshop would be devoted to topic 2 in Q1 in 2021. One (two-day) workshop would be devoted to topic 3 in Q1 in 2021. One (two-day) workshop would be devoted to topic 4 in Q1 in 2021.
- Advanced University Degree preferably in communications, public relations, media, or other relevant discipline is required.
- University Degree (Bachelor’s degree / first level) with a combination of two additional years of relevant professional experience may be accepted in lieu of the advanced university degree
- Two years with master’s degree or four years with bachelor’s degree of direct experience in the area of communications/public relations, preferably in public institutions/administration, is required
- Experience in conducting training in communication area is required
- Knowledge of the EU integration process would be an asset
- Fluency in English and Macedonian (speaking, reading and writing) is required
|Develops and implements sustainable business strategies, thinks long term and externally in order to positively shape the organization. Anticipates and perceives the impact and implications of future decisions and activities on other parts of the organization.(for levels IICA-2, IICA-3, LICA Specialist- 10, LICA Specialist-11, NOC, NOD, P3, P4 and above)|
|Treats all individuals with respect; responds sensitively to differences and encourages others to do the same. Upholds organizational and ethical norms. Maintains high standards of trustworthiness. Role model for diversity and inclusion. |
|Acts as a positive role model contributing to the team spirit. Collaborates and supports the development of others. For people managers only: Acts as positive leadership role model, motivates, directs and inspires others to succeed, utilizing appropriate leadership styles.|
|Demonstrates understanding of the impact of own role on all partners and always puts the end beneficiary first. Builds and maintains strong external relationships and is a competent partner for others (if relevant to the role).|
|Efficiently establishes an appropriate course of action for self and/or others to accomplish a goal. Actions lead to total task accomplishment through concern for quality in all areas. Sees opportunities and takes the initiative to act on them. Understands that responsible use of resources maximizes our impact on our beneficiaries.|
|Open to change and flexible in a fast paced environment. Effectively adapts own approach to suit changing circumstances or requirements. Reflects on experiences and modifies own behavior. Performance is consistent, even under pressure. Always pursues continuous improvements.|
|Evaluates data and courses of action to reach logical, pragmatic decisions. Takes an unbiased, rational approach with calculated risks. Applies innovation and creativity to problem-solving.|
|Expresses ideas or facts in a clear, concise and open manner. Communication indicates a consideration for the feelings and needs of others. Actively listens and proactively shares knowledge. Handles conflict effectively, by overcoming differences of opinion and finding common ground.|
Contract type, level and duration
This is a local position, it is therefore open to Nationals of North Macedonia and to individuals who have a valid residence/work permit.
Contract type: Individual Contractor Agreement (ICA) Retainer
Contract level: Local ICA 9
Contract duration: Up to 28 working days, in period of 18 months
For more details about the ICA contractual modality, please follow this link:
- Please note that the closing date is midnight Copenhagen time
- Applications received after the closing date will not be considered.
- Only those candidates that are short-listed for interviews will be notified.
- Qualified female candidates are strongly encouraged to apply.
- UNOPS seeks to reasonably accommodate candidates with special needs, upon request.
- Work life harmonization - UNOPS values its people and recognizes the importance of balancing professional and personal demands. We have a progressive policy on work-life harmonization and offer several flexible working options. This policy applies to UNOPS personnel on all contract types
- For staff positions only, UNOPS reserves the right to appoint a candidate at a lower level than the advertised level of the post
- The incumbent is responsible to abide by security policies, administrative instructions, plans and procedures of the UN Security Management System and that of UNOPS.
It is the policy of UNOPS to conduct background checks on all potential recruits/interns. Recruitment/internship in UNOPS is contingent on the results of such checks.
Background Information - UNOPS
UNOPS is an operational arm of the United Nations, supporting the successful implementation of its partners’ peacebuilding, humanitarian and development projects around the world. Our mission is to help people build better lives and countries achieve sustainable development.
UNOPS areas of expertise cover infrastructure, procurement, project management, financial management and human resources.
Working with us
UNOPS offers short- and long-term work opportunities in diverse and challenging environments across the globe. We are looking for creative, results-focused professionals with skills in a range of disciplines.
With over 4,000 UNOPS personnel and approximately 7,000 personnel recruited on behalf of UNOPS partners spread across 80 countries, our workforce represents a wide range of nationalities and cultures. We promote a balanced, diverse workforce — a strength that helps us better understand and address our partners’ needs, and continually strive to improve our gender balance through initiatives and policies that encourage recruitment of qualified female candidates.
Work life harmonization
UNOPS values its people and recognizes the importance of balancing professional and personal demands.
Background information – UNOPS Serbia
The United Nations Office for Project Services (UNOPS) has been active in Serbia since 2000, and the operations of UNOPS Serbia Project Office (RSPO) have since 2017 expanded to North Macedonia and Montenegro.
UNOPS has been a reliable partner primarily of the Government of Serbia, and later of the Governments of North Macedonia and Montenegro, in providing support for demanding socio-economic reforms and facilitating accession to the European Union.
Currently, the RSPO is implementing 12 projects focussed on sustainable socio-economic development, social cohesion, creating environment for employability, business and infrastructure growth, increased security, improved education, enhanced social inclusion either via enabling durable housing solutions or providing access to health, education and jobs for the most vulnerable population. All projects have good governance and gender equality as transversal themes. UNOPS projects are contextualised within the broader Sustainable Development Goals framework and objectives.