NATIONAL POST: Assistant Project Analyst, Bissau, Guinea-Bissau, SB3
The Assistant Project Analyst assists in the analysis and assessment of relevant political, social and economic trends, guiding and facilitating the delivery of UNFPA’s activities included in the PBF Project on Political Stabilization and Reform through Confidence Building and Inclusive Dialogue. He/ she Will enable the inclusion of UNFPA´s respective added value and also support the implementation of all activities under the direction of the Project Manager.
The Assistant Project Analyst will report to the UNFPA Representative, Assistant Representative and Project Manager.
How you can make a difference:
UNFPA is the lead UN agency for delivering a world where every pregnancy is wanted, every childbirth is safe and every young person's potential is fulfilled. UNFPA’s new strategic plan (2018-2021), focuses on three transformative results: to end preventable maternal deaths; end unmet need for family planning; and end gender-based violence and harmful practices.
In a world where fundamental human rights are at risk, we need principled and ethical staff, who embody these international norms and standards, and who will defend them courageously and with full conviction.
UNFPA is seeking candidates that transform, inspire and deliver high impact and sustained results; we need staff who are transparent, exceptional in how they manage the resources entrusted to them and who commit to deliver excellence in programme results.
Guinea-Bissau is a post-conflict country. Its cyclical instability are mainly the result of structural conflict factors at the political, institutional, security and economic level that have not been resolved since the country’s liberation.
This PBF Project on Political Stabilization and Reform through Confidence Building and Inclusive Dialogue will provide the technical support, capacity strengthening and resources to enable a smooth transition during and following the closure of UNIOGBIS. The project will enable the UN Agencies to advance key peacebuilding priorities and enable better coordinated strategies and stronger partnerships related to political stabilization and confidence building efforts. It will enable inclusive dialogue on key reforms outlined in the Conakry Agreement (constitution, political party framework and electoral law) that are crucial for long term peace and stability. The project will reinforce, complement and expand on work accomplished in 2018 and 2019 to strengthen the Government’s and civil society’s capacity to accelerate political stabilization and systemic reform processes that are key to sustainable development in the country.
The project aims at strengthening crisis prevention capabilities and enable key legal reforms. When public policies and laws are approved without a participatory process with relevant stakeholders, people feel deprived of voice and policies lack national appropriation and implementation suffers. This also aggravates the divide between the political elite and the rest of the population.
Working within the Country Office (CO) environment, you will support the effective management and implementation of UNFPA activities within the PBF Project. Through analysis and assessment of political, social and economic trends, you will contribute to project formulation and evaluation, joint programming initiatives and national development frameworks.
The encumbent will assist in monitoring results achieved during implementation, guiding the appropriate application of systems and procedures, and developing enhancements as required.
Main Task and responsabilities:
The encumbent will be responsible for:
- Ensuring implementation of all UNFPA activities within the Project Political Stabilization and Reform through Confidence Building and Inclusive Dialogue according to time lines and existing plans.
- Contribute technically to the development and implementation of project strategies in the area of Justice and political stabilization.
- Provide substantive inputs to the design and formulation of project initiatives;
- Identify areas for support and intervention related to the project.
- Evaluate project and programme activities, establishing ways to systematically assess achievement and recommending corrective action as required; conducting field visits; participating in review meetings and evaluation missions and preparing regular inputs to status and progress reports.
- Provide substantive technical support to the implementation and management of the Political Stabilization and Reform through Confidence Building and Inclusive Dialogue.
- Provide technical inputs to the annual workplan and budgets;
- Participate in the coordination of the call/request for proposals, including the organization of technical review committees, and capacity assessment of partners;
- Analyze and interpret the political, social and economic environment relevant to UNFPA activities, and identifying opportunities for UNFPA assistance and intervention.
- Analyze policy papers, strategy documents and national development plans; prepare briefs and inputs for policy dialogue, technical assistance coordination, and development frameworks.
- Assess implications of new policy developments and strategies on project execution, and ensure their integration.
- Establish collaborative relationships with other executing agencies, experts, government counterparts and other UN agencies to facilitate timely and efficient delivery of project inputs.
- Assist in implementing knowledge management strategies to capture lessons learned and best practices, sharing these with management for future planning
Qualifications and Experience:
Education: Advanced university degree (Masters or higher) or equivalent in law, political science, sociology, or related fields with democratic governance orientation/specialization.
A project/programme management certification would be an added advantage.
Knowledge and Experience:
- A minimum of 2 years of progressive experience in programme management
- A minimum of 2 years of progressive experience in rule of law, youth/gender empowerment and justice sector reform or related issues.
- Practical experience in design, monitoring and evaluation of development projects
- Good planning, facilitation, communication skills with an ability to transfer knowledge and skills in complex institutional environment
- Experience using office software packages and web-based management systems.
Fluency in Portuguese, English; knowledge of other official UN languages, preferably French is desirable.