Chief, Regional Administrative Services
Vacancy no.: RAPS/1/2020/AR/01
Publication date: 17 March 2020
Application deadline (midnight Geneva time): 20 April 2020
Job ID: 2489
Department: RO-Arab States/DWT-Beirut
Organization Unit: RO-Arab States/DWT-Beirut
Contract type: Fixed Term
The following are eligible to apply:
- ILO Internal candidates in accordance with paragraphs 31 and 32 of Annex I of the ILO Staff Regulations.
- External candidates.
Staff members with at least five years of continuous service with the Office are encouraged to apply.
Applications from officials who have reached their age of retirement as defined in Article 11.3 of the Staff Regulations on or before 31 December 2017, or who have already separated from ILO service upon retirement or early retirement, will not be considered.
The ILO values diversity among its staff and welcomes applications from qualified female candidates. We also encourage applicants with disabilities. If you are unable to complete our online application form due to a disability, please send an email to email@example.com.
The ILO welcomes applicants with experience in working within ILO constituents (governments, employers’ and business membership organizations, and workers’ organizations).
Applicants from non- or under-represented member States, or from those member States which staffing forecasts indicate will become non- or under-represented in the near future would be particularly welcome. A list of these countries can be found here: https://jobs.ilo.org/content/Non--and-under-represented-member-States/
In addition to the interviews and tests that any candidate may be required to take, successful completion of the ILO Assessment Centre is required for all external candidates and any internal candidate applying to a higher category.
The position is located in the ILO Regional Office for Arab States in Beirut. The Regional Office has overall political and management responsibilities for the promotion of ILO principles and policies in the region and provides strategic guidance and support to all countries in the region where the ILO has a presence. As Chief of the Regional Administrative Services (RAS), the incumbent of the position is responsible for all the financial, administrative and budgetary matters of the region in accordance with ILO rules, regulations and instructions. In addition, the position will provide managerial and administrative advisory services to the National Coordinators and ILO Representatives in the region and advise headquarters on the region's requirements with respect to financial and administrative policies and practices. The position will report to the Regional Director through the Deputy Regional Director and will be functionally responsible to the Director of the Financial Management Department at headquarters.
1. Assume direct responsibility for budgetary, financial and administrative matters in the Regional Office, and have overall responsibility for these areas in other ILO locations and for development cooperation projects in the region. Supervise the finance, information technology, and administration units.
2. Make recommendations to the Director of the Financial Management Department at headquarters, in consultation with regional management, on the need to develop new financial policies and procedures or adjust existing ones in the light of the region's requirements.
3. Monitor and report on the use of budgetary resources allocated to the region.
4. Supervise in the Regional Office: operation of computerised accounting systems (IRIS); management and reconciliation of bank accounts and petty cash; review and authorization of payments including suppliers' invoices, external collaborators' contracts, travel advances and claims; review of payrolls; monitoring of general ledger accounts pertaining to the region (suspense, tax and other clearing); security of cash and other assets; funding of bank and petty cash accounts of development cooperation projects; financial administration of meetings and seminars.
5. Supervise the issuance and review of obligations (encumbrances) as per the requirements under the Financial Rules and Regulations. Ensure on a regular basis the validity of encumbrances charged against Regular Budget and Extra-Budgetary resources.
6. Oversee the operation of all computer-based applications and hardware in the region, as appropriate, including the provision of support and training thereon.
7. Supervise the financial aspects of the preparation and revision of development cooperation budgets for projects in countries covered by the Regional Office.
8. Continuously monitor the performance and capabilities of finance and administrative staff in the Regional Office and external offices; plan and organize training as appropriate.
9. Assure adequate protection and safeguarding of ILO assets in the region, including premises, security, insurance and inventory arrangements, registry and filing systems, procurement and communication systems. Serve as focal point for risk management and business continuity management in the region
10. As appropriate, undertake missions to ILO offices and large development cooperation projects to ensure that financial and administrative operations are being performed effectively and efficiently in the region.
11. Perform other relevant duties, as assigned.
These specific duties are aligned with the relevant ILO generic job description, which includes the following generic duties:
1. Develop and implement accounting policies, standards and plans to ensure correct accounting practices and adequate control.
2. Manage the operation of the financial services of the area of responsibility and prepare managerial reports thereon.
3. Plan, integrate and coordinate the work of professional staff responsible for portions of the finance programme and monitor the achievement of objectives.
4. Plan, develop and maintain financial and budgetary policy and procedures; provide authoritative advice concerning the organization’s financial policies both in headquarters and extensive field operations.
5. Direct the preparation and maintenance of financial and budgetary records; approve modifications to managerial and accounting aspects of the area of responsibility to optimise control and performance and to maximise the benefits of management information available from financial databases.
6. Promote and supervise the development and implementation of automated systems both in the area of responsibility and having organization-wide impact.
7. Coordinate the formulation and evaluation of regular financial reports for senior management with particular attention to commenting upon compliance with the programme of work and budgets of the organization.
8. Review and approve financial reports and informal replies to internal and external audit observations.
9. Act as the technical expert and provide authoritative advice throughout the organization, including to senior management, on financial practices and represent the Office at inter-agency meetings concerning financial operations.
10. Control and monitor the financial performance of all programmes, all projects or of a major operational area.
11. Manage the consolidation of estimates, budgets, and forecasts and prepare performance reports and medium term plans.
Advanced university degree in business administration, finance or accounting, or first level degree supplemented by a professional financial qualification is required to be able to manage interrelationships and interactions within the ILO's financial structure and to ensure that the Organization's financial management and business conforms to international norms.
Professional financial management or accounting experience of 15 years of which five years must have been at the international level.
Excellent command of English. A working knowledge of one of the other official languages (French, Spanish) of the Organization as well as a working knowledge of Arabic would be an asset.
In addition to the ILO core competencies, this position requires:
Very effective and experienced analytical and diagnostic skills to analyse complex financial statements involving multiple funding sources and currencies in accordance with generally acceptable accounting principles and international accounting standards. Ability to resolve inter-departmental problems. Ability to plan and coordinate the work of a sub-programme. Ability to communicate decisions and instructions effectively both in writing and orally to all levels in the organization; ability to present papers and positions at inter-agency meetings. Ability to draft policy and procedures, Governing Body documents and other communications. Ability to use common office computer applications; demonstrated understanding of computerised accounting packages; ability to conceptualise enhancements to and renewal of such systems. Ability to motivate staff, establish team objectives, assign and supervise work and ensure that quality of service/work is provided to clients. Ability to defend financial policy decisions taken and to explain the advantages of proposed new policies and decisions. Discretion is required as work may involve dealing with confidential material. Apart from financial matters, also needs to be discreet when dealing with staff members on sensitive issues, including cultural differences and when dealing with exceptions to policy and confidential organizational issues. The ability to work in a multicultural environment and to demonstrate gender-sensitive and non-discriminatory behaviour and attitudes.
Conditions of employment
- Any appointment/extension of appointment is subject to ILO Staff Regulations and other relevant internal rules. Any offer of employment with the ILO is conditional upon certification by the ILO Medical Adviser that the person concerned is medically fit to perform the specific inherent requirements of the position offered. In order to confirm an offer from the ILO the successful candidate will be required to undergo a medical examination.
- The first contract will be issued for a twenty-four month period.
- A successful external candidate will be on probation for the first two years of assignment.
- Any extension of contract beyond the probation period is subject to satisfactory conduct and performance.
For more information on conditions of employment, please visit: https://jobs.ilo.org/content/International/
Any officials of the General Service category interested in applying to this position are hereby informed that, if selected, they will be offered the salary and allowances applicable to the grade of the position applied for, which may result in substantial changes in their take-home remuneration. In accordance with Article 3.4 of the Staff Regulations, the salary of an official, upon promotion, shall in no case be greater than the maximum salary of the grade to which he or she was promoted. For any questions or clarifications, please contact your HR partner at firstname.lastname@example.org
Please note that all candidates must complete an on-line application form. To apply, please visit the ILO Jobs website at https://jobs.ilo.org/. The system provides instructions for online application procedures.
Evaluation (which may include one or several written tests and a pre-interview competency-based assessment centre) and the interviews will tentatively take place during the 3 to 4 months following the application deadline. Candidates are requested to ensure their availability should they be short listed for further consideration.
Depending on the location and availability of candidates, assessors and interview panel members, the ILO may use communication technologies such as Skype, Video or teleconference, e-mail, etc. for the assessment and evaluation of candidates at the different stages of the recruitment process, including assessment centres, technical tests or interviews.
The ILO does not charge any fee at any stage of the recruitment process whether at the application, interview, processing or training stage. Messages originating from a non ILO e-mail account - @ilo.org - should be disregarded. In addition, the ILO does not require or need to know any information relating to the bank account details of applicants.