DRC has been providing relief and development services in the Horn of Africa since 1997. Using a human rights framework, the DRC Somalia operations focuses mainly on people who are affected by displacement, including refugees, internally displaced, and migrant.
Danish Demining Group (DDG) is a specialized unit within DRC which implements mine action and armed violence reduction (AVR) programmes. DDG’s mandate is ‘to create a safe environment free from armed violence and the remnants of conflict’, and DDG does this via a programmatic focus on four key sectors: Security Systems Reform, Small Arms and Light Weapons (SALW) management, Mine Action and Conflict Management.
Overall Purpose of the role:
This role has a country focus and ensures compliance to DRC procedures and guidelines within the country. The role contributes to the development of country strategies, which are translated into action plans and day-to-day tasks. The role provides support and/or technical guidance to country operations while overseeing country activities.
The IT Coordinator will be responsible for the configuration, implementation, and maintenance of all IT technologies with focus on efficient setup, maintenance and administration of all DRC hardware, software and local networks. Ensure accessible and high-quality IT support and training to users, while continually assessing and identifying the most appropriate IT solutions to meet the organization’s changing needs.
- Develop and implement a clear standard operating procedures for the delivery of IT support services
- Act as the primary focal point for troubleshooting IT-related issues faced staff, including provision of both remote and on-site support.
- Assess all existing hardware, software and local networks to ensure appropriateness, standardization and fitness for purpose. This entails monitoring support trends, proactive identification of solutions and development of relevant trainings to ensure all staff make best use of available IT technologies in line with the organization’s IT policies.
- Manage IT service outages by ensuring timely notification and instructions to affected staff.
- Oversee day-to-day technical relationships with internet services providers and any other technology providers.
- Ensure use of Service Desk in all offices and provide support and technical assistance to IT staff in resolving escalated issues using DRC/DDG Regional Help Desk Tool.
- Support field-based IT staff in various initiatives, acting as senior-level technical support when necessary
- Pro-actively advocate for field office IT needs.
- Performs periodic control visits to all sites in the country and plans ICT optimizations
- Develop and implement IT roadmaps for individual offices and country program as a whole.
- Coordinate IT components of office openings, expansions, moves and closings.
- Look for ways to reduce IT costs through consolidations of purchasing and procurement of IT services such as bandwidth.
- In coordination with RITM, regional and in-country management, develop plans for maintaining appropriate levels of IT capacity in field-offices, to include both systems and personnel
- Train and mentor field-based IT focal persons and other appropriate DRC/DDG staff pertaining to agency software, hardware, standards and procedures
- Ensure DRC/DDG staff in the country are receiving timely and appropriate IT related support
- Work with Supply Chain, Finance, Area Manager’s in preparing IT equipment Inventory list with user details and submit to AM’s, SC, Finance and HoSS on quarterly basis.
- Work with Supply Chain, Finance, Area Manager’s in preparing IT assets disposal when appropriate and Ensure hardware is stripped and data secured before disposal
- Work with IT Support Staff to ensure they are implementing and adhering to DRC/DDG IT standards, policies and strategy
Networking / Internet Support
- Standardize and optimize local networks across offices, including the installation and management of hardware and software.
- Management of the networks system performance monitoring and tuning, as well as setting up and monitoring the restriction of non-business sites during work hours.
- Oversee and monitoring software and network security, bandwidth (in accordance with the internet service provider’s contracted service), and bandwidth utilization.
- Provide troubleshooting for connectivity or performance issues.
- Ensure regular, centralized backups of user data - local/offsite backup systems for all offices in the country
- Ensure antivirus software is installed and up-to-date on all relevant IT devices.
- Manage user accounts and permissions in accordance with DRC’s IT policies.
- Ensure all staff are aware of IT security initiatives.
- Enforces data protection and ICT security policies within the country
- Support roll out of IT Security activities (plans).
- Ensure staff capacity is continuously improving in IT security matters.
- Design and implement a Disaster Recovery Plan for the CO with emphasis on data storage, security and backup services.
- Design and implement firewall systems to protect DRC/DDG network and communications.
- Implement Meraki router for network and firewall management.
Server Operations and Administration
- Manage and monitor all aspects of the design, installation, implementation, and monitoring of the Enterprise Directory Services (Active Directory) as well as firewalls, Domain Name Servers (DNS), DHCPs, and Mail relays.
- Provide full range of technical assistance in the area of server operations, management, and administration, including the installation, configuration, testing and deployment of server hardware and software. This includes monitoring statistics on performance and reliability of server systems.
- Operate all roles involved in the provisioning and de-provisioning of user accounts.
- Ensure optimal functioning of Internet link in all offices.
- Network Infrastructure and technology implementation, network performance management and participate in improvement planning.
- Manage and implement firewall systems in all the office networks.
- Manage and control bandwidth usage using bandwidth management tools.
- Managing access controls for all network related services and resources.
Email / Dynamics Management;
- Responsible for all DRC/DDG O365 advanced features ‘management.
- Liaise with HR to create / discontinue emails from Dynamics- follow up to ensure the backup for One Drive and PST file is done before the lapse of 90 days.
- Liaise with HQ to Create group email for your management. Manage the groups in every departments and locations then add all respective staffs in every group. Keep monitoring to add new comers and remove those who are going out of the organization and give permissions on who is allowed to send and who is not allowed
- Ensure password resets are done on time and through the approved procedure.
- Provide trainings on different features of the email system used.
- In coordination with HR department ensure exit clearances are done in timely manner and make sure emails are closed at the exit stage of the staff.
- Ensure IT equipment’s are configured with software as approved by DRC.
- Help staff on how to organize their outlook and rules
- Ensure all users are using the required features of office 365 email system i.e. Skype for business, Teams, OneDrive, Calendar sharing and share point.
- Prepare manual/guidelines of the requirement and use of the requirements.
IT Network Operations
- As needed, Install, configure, maintain & ensure secure operation of: Internet telecommunications; servers, desktop/laptop hardware and software, and peripherals; Local Area Network, wireless network, essential network services peer-to-peer or client server architecture.
- Stay current on all relevant technologies.
- As needed, travel to and/or assist with all IT related matters, and project specific needs, in other country field offices.
IT Capacity Building
- Identify user training needs through assessments and tailor appropriate responses
- Conduct IT staff capacity building through skills transfer
- Training material development for the country office
- Advise and instruct staff (users) on IT best practices, internet and e-mail usage and appropriate course of action where problems are encountered
- Carry out simple and brief, on the job training for staff as required.
- Supervises the country's ICT team, participates in performance appraisals in collaboration with HR and Area Managers
- Carry out computer audit trails for the country.
- Perform preventive maintenance services of IT equipment and peripherals as needed
- Interface with users to identify computer related needs and provide appropriate software/hardware support applicable to those needs.
- In coordination with RO/HQ, assist with the release of information relating to systems upgrades and any other IT related communication.
- Present IT projects and initiatives to SMT
- Plan and budget for all IT expenditure in consultation with the all IT stakeholders in the CO including the line managers.
- Promote a culture of documenting and sharing of best practices using knowledge management tools and sharing monthly reports with the RO team and line manager.
- Actively participate in regional working groups for information and knowledge sharing.
- Inspire innovation through research and business partnering to make IT an enabler for the achievement of DRC/DDG' global strategy and for meeting local demand for tools and systems.
- Partner with Supply Chain Team in ensuring timely and value for money IT related purchases are achieved while ensuring SLAs with service providers exists and are adhered to.
The responsibilities listed in the JD are not exhaustive and may be readjusted according to operational needs but will remain in line with the overall purpose of the role.
Education, experience & technical competencies
- Bachelor’s degree in Information Technology or other related field from a recognized institution
- At least 5 years’ experience working in an IT support environment preferably in an INGO
- Demonstrable experience in Virtualization and cloud computing
- Strong, solid knowledge of network and communications technology, to include but, not limited to, server operating systems including both windows and Linux based OS, network architecture, IP based networks (voice and data), satellite communications, desktop solutions, email systems, etc.
- Knowledge of and competence in Microsoft operating systems and office suites
- High level of hardware/software trouble shooting experience
- Quick in learning new systems
- Able to work under harsh and extreme conditions, good judgment and problem solving skills
- Demonstrate a customer-focused, motivated and pro-active approach to your work
Excellent communication skills, and fluent in spoken English and Somali
In this position, you are expected to demonstrate DRC’s five core competencies:
- Striving for excellence: You focus on reaching results while ensuring an efficient process.
- Collaborating: You are a strong networker and enjoy working with many different types of stakeholders, you involve relevant parties and encourage feedback.
- Taking the lead: You take ownership and initiative while balancing the role of advisor and taking leadership
- Communicating: You write and speak effectively and honestly and display political and cultural sensitivity, including ability to adapt well to local cultures
- Demonstrating integrity: You act in line with our vision and values.
Availability: May 2020
Duty station: Mogadishu
Reporting to: Head Of Support Services
Duration: 7 Months with Possibility of extension
Contract: This position is graded as Band NM – G1 for qualified national staff and the terms of employment will be in accordance with DRC terms for national staff.
THE POSITION IS OPEN TO NATIONALS ONLY.
Gender Equality: DRC is committed to achieving gender parity in staffing at all levels. In light of this, women candidates are particularly encouraged to apply to bridge the gender gap.
Equal Opportunities: DRC is an equal opportunity employer. We value diversity and we are committed to creating an inclusive environment based on mutual respect for all employees. We do not discriminate on the basis of age, sex, disability status, religion, ethnic origin, colour, race, marital status or other protected characteristics.
DRC adheres to the Core Humanitarian Standards. All staff are required to contribute to the achievement of these standards.
DRC has a Humanitarian Accountability Framework, outlining its global accountability commitments. All staff are required to contribute to the achievement of this framework.
For general information about Danish Refugee Council, please visit www.drc.ngo
Interested candidates who meet the required qualifications and experience are invited to submit updated CV and cover letter explaining their motivation and why they are suited for the post. We only accept applications sent via our online-application form on www.drc.ngo under Vacancies.
Please forward the application and CV, in English through the online application on www.drc.ngo under Vacancies no later than 1st April 2020.