Technical Officer, Provinces (For multiple duty stations Lahore, Quetta, Peshawar, Karachi)
Purpose of the Position
In close collaboration with the Coordinator for Polio at the Federal level as well as the Medical Officer Polio at the Provincial level the incumbent will provide technical and programmatic leadership and support to the national and provincial authorities in Pakistan in designing, planning, monitoring, evaluating and coordinating programmatic , strategic, technical and logistical aspects of polio eradication activities. The incumbent will guide the full implementation of National Emergency Action Plans for Polio Eradication at the provincial level. The incumbent will be expected to lead and manage technical teams including national staff as well non-staff personnel affiliated with WHO based in the province.
To eradicate polio from Pakistan as per the objectives laid out in the Global Polio Eradication
Initiative (GPEI) End Game and Strategic Plan 2019-2023 as well as to reduce morbidity and mortality of other EPI target diseases.
Polio eradication is a global goal and priority for WHO. Pakistan is one of only two countries that have continued to detect indigenous wild poliovirus circulation in the past three years. Stopping transmission of wild poliovirus in Pakistan will be a definitive step in achieving global polio eradication. WHO has a large technical team working closely with Government and partners on polio
eradication in Pakistan. The incumbent is expected to exercise a high level of technical and programmatic leadership and decision making and to establish close relationships with key partners at provincial, divisional, and district levels in support of polio eradication in Pakistan.
Summary of Assigned Duties \:
Under the direct supervision of the Coordinator, Polio, the Provincial Polio Medical Officer and the general guidance of the WHO Representative to Pakistan, the incumbent in close collaboration with national and/or provincial authorities will assist in managing and directing WHO's strategic inputs and activities toward polio eradication in Pakistan, including\:
1) Offer substantive strategic and technical support to the Provincial government through the provincial Emergency Operations Center (EOCs) and to the provincial oversight and management bodies as defined by the National Emergency Action Plan for polio eradication.
2) Oversee the work of the technical units at the provincial level, and offer high level strategic and expert technical advice and support to the field teams deployed at the divisional and district levels.
3) Provide technical guidance to the provincial government and field personnel to maintain highly sensitive AFP surveillance system which meets or exceeds global standards.
4) Liaise with the Coordinator of the provincial EOC and other senior government officials and collaborate with all senior representatives of partners including UNICEF, CDC, BMGF, Rotary and GAVI to ensure the proper and timely implementation of National Emergency Action Plan for polio eradication in Pakistan
5) Guide and support the provincial EOC in the planning, implementation, monitoring and evaluation of Supplemental Immunization Activities (SIA) in the field and prepare the necessary reports, and monitor follow up tasks, responsibilities and activities
6) Devise mechanisms of strengthening SIA quality and ensure robust Post Campaign Assessments and Surveys are in place.
7) Help establish a culture of transparency and open and frank communication about any program performance gaps with WHO personnel and partners. Support the provincial teams in planning, coordinating and organizing technical and management trainings of divisional, and district-level teams.
8) Help implement the accountability framework to ensure recognition of strong performance as well as corrective measures to address gaps in performance of personnel. Assess results of regular performance reviews of the field personnel and initiate appropriate actions, including making recommendations to Senior national leadership to strengthen management and accountability.
9) Participate in advocacy activities and attend meetings with senior government and partner officials to ensure their full support and commitment and engage new partners to strengthen Essential Immunization/Poliomyelitis Eradication activities
10) Provide substantive strategic inputs and technical guidance on implementation of EPI, including planning for strengthening of immunization services, implementing plans for using the polio eradication infrastructure to support broader immunization goals, and strengthening surveillance of
vaccine-preventable diseases based on the experience of surveillance for acute flaccid paralysis and poliovirus.
11) Support capacity building of staff, other personnel affiliated with WHO, and health workers on polio eradication, EPI and other priority public health initiatives
12) Facilitate the creation of programme reports and follow up reports for special activities within the programme, particularly on poliomyelitis eradication.
13) Undertake other duties, as required, in relation to other programmes of collaboration in Pakistan.
Â·Building and promoting partnerships across the organization and Beyond
Â·Ensuring the effective use of resources
Functional Knowledge and Skills\:
Â·Ability to administer and to evaluate large public health programmes, especially polio eradication and EPI programmes
Â·Being able to build and promote partnership across the organization and beyond.
Â·Capacity to promote WHO's position in health leadership
Â·Demonstrated ability to work constructively with people of different cultural and educational backgrounds.
Â·Excellent Knowledge and technical expertise in epidemiology and diseases prevention, control and eradication.
Essential\: Advanced university degree in Medicine (MBBS, MD or equivalent) or PhD in epidemiology or public health.
At least 7 years of combined relevant experience at the national and/or international levels in public health, particularly disease control
Experience working in difficult environments or managing large health programmes e.g. immunization, and health emergencies
Use of Language Skills\: Excellent knowledge of English.