Wau (South Sudan)
Minimum age: 25 years old. Nationals of the country of assignment are not eligible, except the assignments in Headquarters duty stations.Description of task
Under the direct supervision of the Field Engineer, the UN Volunteer will undertake the following tasks:
- Install, service, maintain and repair electrical system components in compliance with recognized standards and regulations pertaining to safety and installation codes of all electrical systems;
- Diagnose technical faults and carry-out remedy for malfunctioning or defective electrical systems;
- Perform diagnostics and preventive maintenance of electrical systems, all electrical lighting and power systems, main distribution and control panels for generators, water and sewage distribution systems;
- Perform technical or other assessments of electrical systems, generating sets or buildings and infrastructure and prepare technical or other reports;
- Apply and ensuring adherence to safety programmes related to the safe operation of electrical systems and maintenance trade;
- Conduct in-house training to tradesmen and artisans on the imaging technical skills in the installation of specialized equipment, fault finding and remedy;
- Inspecting and reporting on construction project work and maintenance work carried out either by contractors or tradesmen and staff under supervision and ensure proper utilization of available resources;
- Read and interpret specifications and technical drawings, schedules, manuals for construction projects, installations and upgrade repair of infrastructure;
- Prepare draft drawings and layout plans for Chief Engineer’s approval and ensuring the approved plans are implemented in the most efficient and cost effective manner;
- Ensure that any work carried out by Building Management System (BMS) does not conflict with existing UN environmental, health and safety policy;
- Coordinate regularly with other units within BMS to ensure that all work is planned and structured in a way that does not hinder the progress of any project or task;
- Ensure that full and accurate reports are maintained on all aspects of the electrical activities.
A minimum of College Diploma in Electrical engineering or related field is required. Recognized and valid license to repair, maintain, troubleshoot and install electrical power supply systems is desirable.Required experience: 60 Months Experience remark:
- At least five years of progressive experience in installation, repair and troubleshooting of electrical power supply, distribution and transmission systems. Experience in electrical power control system, air conditioning systems, solar power generation system, and generator electrical control system is an added advantage. The minimum years of experience will be reduced to three years if candidate has a BSc degree in Electrical Engineering.
- Experience in United Nations entities or international organizations is desirable;
- English(Mandatory), Level - Fluent
Solid computer skills, including full proficiency in various MS Office application (excel, word, power point) and other IT applications and office technology equipment;Driving license: Yes Competencies values:
Accountability, Adaptability and Flexibility, Commitment and Motivation, Commitment to Continuous Learning, Communication, Integrity, Planning and Organizing, Professionalism, Respect for Diversity, Working in TeamsApplication procedure:
* Not yet registered in the UNV Talent Pool?
Please first register your profile at https://vmam.unv.org/candidate/signup. Important: After creating your account, complete all sections of your profile and submit it. Then go to ‘My Page’ at https://vmam.unv.org/candidate/mypage and click on the ‘Special Calls’ hyperlink. Lastly, select the special call to which you would like to apply.
* Already registered in the UNV Talent Pool?
Please first update your profile at https://vmam.unv.org/candidate/profile. Then go to ‘My Page’ at https://vmam.unv.org/candidate/mypage and click on the ‘Special Calls’ hyperlink to select the special call to which you would like to apply.
Application deadline: 01-04-2020