Information Management Officer
Minimum age: 25 years old. Nationals of the country of assignment are not eligible, except the assignments in Headquarters duty stations.Description of task
Within the delegated authority of Head of Sub Office , Maiduguri or his/her designated mandated representative(s), the UN Volunteer will carry out the following tasks:
- Data Capture, Management and Analysis
- Data Visualization, Reporting and Application
- Technical Support
Data Capture, Management and Analysis:
- Identify key data gaps for informed crisis risk tracking in the country.
- Propose a strategy and implementation plan for capturing required primary data
- Develop a process for and understand primary data gathering (e.g. designing and conducting periodic perception surveys)
- Identify and integrate additional primary and secondary data into the Crisis Risk Dashboard as required by evolving needs including the development, implementation and management of new indicators and corresponding data that are associated with the crisis risk model;
- Propose revisions and improvements to the overall design framework and data requirements for the risk tracking system, using as the key tool the Crisis Risk Dashboard (CRD) – a purpose-designed platform developed by CRU for online information management and data visualization - and ensure content is current, comprehensive, and follows relevant metadata standards;
Data Visualization, Reporting and Application:
- Produce and update information products such as maps, charts, and infographics by turning data into graphical products to convey messages and a storyline as well as support strategic and operational decision-making;
- Explore ways of presenting crisis risk profiles and early warning more effectively through visual representations (charts, graphs, tables and diagrams) through the CRD;
- Provide technical assistance in translating data and other program information into easy visual representations, in accordance with data visualization best practices;
- Consolidate operational information on a regular schedule to support analysis and design and implement sustainable information management and dissemination systems for data collections for the CRD, where required.
Training and Technical Support:
- Provide substantive input on information management toward the development of guidance and training materials in support of the Country Office / Country Team application of the CRD;
- Provide maintenance and end-user technical support in issues relating to the CRD information management use, including trouble-shooting for data entry and access to the existing database;
- Provide technical assistance in order to build capacity of staff on how to integrate data visualization approaches into their work as well as how to update and monitor existing dashboards.
Advanced university degree (Master’s degree or equivalent degree) in Information Management, Information Systems, Social science or relatedRequired experience: 36 Months Experience remark:
- A minimum of three years of progressively responsible experience in information management, information systems, geographic information systems (GIS), database development, web management, visualization, or other related areas;
- Strong experience in conducting primary research, particularly in crisis contexts;
- Experience managing information in international development or humanitarian context as well as relevant experience within the UN system is highly desirable;
- English(Mandatory), Level - Fluent
- French(Optional), Level - Working Knowledge
- Strong knowledge of best practices for data visualization and dashboards;
- Experience in providing excellent client/customer services;
- Knowledge and understanding of theories, concepts and approaches relevant to the management of information in an international development or humanitarian context;
- Ability to conduct data collection using various methods;
- Conceptual analytical and evaluative skills to conduct independent research and analysis, including familiarity with and experience in the use of various research sources, including electronic sources on the internet, intranet and other databases;
Accountability, Commitment and Motivation, Commitment to Continuous Learning, Communication, Integrity, Planning and Organizing, Respect for Diversity, Technological Awareness, Working in TeamsApplication procedure:
* Not yet registered in the UNV Talent Pool?
First register your profile at https://vmam.unv.org/candidate/signup.
Important: After creating your account, complete all sections of your profile and submit it. Then go to ‘My Page’ at https://vmam.unv.org/candidate/mypage and click on the ‘Special Calls’ hyperlink. Lastly, select the special call to which you would like to apply.
* Already registered in the UNV Talent Pool?
First update your profile at https://vmam.unv.org/candidate/profile.
Then go to ‘My Page’ at https://vmam.unv.org/candidate/mypage and click on the ‘Special Calls’ hyperlink to select the special call to which you would like to apply.
Application deadline: 5 April 2020