Call For Applications - Public Health Officer
Minimum age: 25 years old. Nationals of the country of assignment are not eligible, except the assignments in Headquarters duty stations.Description of task
- Assess threats to human life and health, damage to health infrastructure for primary and secondary care, the state of health referral and support systems, including cold chain, laboratory, essential drugs and health information systems, and the vital needs of the affected populations;
- Collaborate with national authorities and health partners to coordinate and implement public health response activities as part of the health cluster’s strategic response; analyse existing coordination mechanisms, designing and recommending improvements;
- Provide analysis of the public health risks, needs and capacities and advise on priority interventions for WHO and partners; challenges and operational course correctors, as applicable;
- Monitor progress towards achievement of universal health coverage; analyse social determinants of health and their impact on the incident management system, including identifying inequities, gaps in the delivery of health services or emergency interventions, recommending appropriate actions and innovative approaches to improve the situation;
- Facilitate the implementation of effective, evidence-based policies, public health programmes and interventions through all life cycles, this might include maternal and new born health, health promotion and education, non-communicable diseases (NCDs), the elderly, social determinant of health, violence and injury prevention including road safety, gender and health equity and other related areas;
- Secure information from a broad range of health sectors, analysing such and consolidating health data in trends and trends assessment, with particular attention to surveillance, monitoring and early warning;
- Perform any other related incident-specific duties, as required by the functional supervisor.
- Master's degree or equivalent in public health and/or health-related field, from an accredited and recognized academic institution is required, or:
- A Bachelor’s degree or equivalent in combination with relevant training and/or professional experience may be accepted in lieu of an advanced university degree;
- Post graduate studies or specialized training in emergency response or disaster management in the context of public health, is desirable.
- Diploma in tropical medicine or disaster management, is an asset.
- At least 3 years of professional work experience at the national level in public health and health sector coordination.
- Past experience in capacity building, developing and promoting collaborative partnerships, is required.
- Prior relevant work experience in WHO/UN system, health cluster partners, relevant nongovernmental or humanitarian organizations, is desirable.
- Experience in capacity building programme planning/development, project management, monitoring and evaluation, is desirable.
- English(Mandatory), Level - Fluent
- Arabic(Optional), Level - Fluent
- Strong overall computer literacy, including proficiency in various MS Office applications (Excel, PowerPoint, and Word, etc.), and office technology equipment;
- Proven ability to multitask across various planning and implementation processes within a highly demanding environment;
Functional Knowledge and Skills:
- In-depth knowledge of public health programmes with focus on prevention and control of NCDs and their major risk factors, health system, and the Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs);
- Demonstrated knowledge and experience of operational management of health aspects/consequences of humanitarian crises and outbreaks in field settings;
- Demonstrated skills in proposal and report writing, knowledge of and experience with needs assessments in emergency settings, strategic information analysis and planning and ability to anticipate new trends in the field of public health and take actions accordingly;
- Capacity building skills for the development, implementation and analysis of technical cooperation programmes and activities, including the development of programmatic indicators.
Accountability, Adaptability and Flexibility, Building Trust, Client Orientation, Commitment and Motivation, Commitment to Continuous Learning, Empowering Others, Ethics and Values, Integrity, Professionalism, Respect for Diversity, Self-Management, Vision, Working in TeamsApplication procedure:
* Not yet registered in the UNV Talent Pool?
Please first register your profile at https://vmam.unv.org/candidate/signup. Important: After creating your account, complete all sections of
your profile and submit it. Then go to ‘My Page’ at https://vmam.unv.org/candidate/mypage and click on the ‘Special Calls’ hyperlink. Lastly,
select the special call to which you would like to apply.
* Already registered in the UNV Talent Pool?
Please first update your profile at https://vmam.unv.org/candidate/profile. Then go to ‘My Page’ at https://vmam.unv.org/candidate/mypage
and click on the ‘Special Calls’ hyperlink to select the special call to which you would like to apply.
Application deadline: 27 March 2020