· In collaboration with senior EH officer Produce appropriate IEC materials for hygiene promotion activities implementation in consultation with IDP representatives and EH team other field Offices of Somalia
· Ensure that the use of IEC materials in the hygiene promotion activities in all Camp are with pre-tested message in relation to culture and religions sensitivity of the beneficiaries.
· Lead in conducting the appropriate Environmental Health (EH) Knowledge, Practice and Coverage (KPC) surveys during survey design, data collection, data entry, analysis and reporting in order to monitor and evaluate the impact of sanitation and hygiene promotion activities;
· Provide timely reports on the field trips, monitoring visits and assessments to senior wash officer.
· Compile weekly, monthly and other circumstantial reports as may be required; including donor reports.
· A Degree in Water Engineering ,Public Health or other related discipline;
· At least 3 years of experience in similar position/related
· Professional experience in community water, sanitation and hygiene programs in displaced populations
· Excellent program implementation skills
· Good communication skills
· Fluency in spoken and written English
Background: The International Rescue Committee (IRC) responds to the world’s worst humanitarian crises and helps people to survive and rebuild their lives. Founded in 1933 at the request of Albert Einstein, the IRC offers lifesaving care and life-changing assistance to refugees forced to flee from war or disaster. At work today in over 40 countries and 22 U.S. cities, we restore safety, dignity and hope to millions who are uprooted and struggling to endure. The IRC leads the way from harm to home.
The International Rescue Committee has been working in Somalia since 2006, providing essential services to conflict and disaster affected communities. The IRC has been operational in Central Somalia (Mudug and Galgadud regions) and Mogadishu implementing interventions in the areas of livelihood, WASH, Governance and peacebuilding, GBV, Nutrition, education and health reaching out to more than 200,000 conflict and drought affected people.
The position is responsible for implementations of rehabilitation and construction activities for all WASH systems - including water systems, sanitation facilities and hygiene promotion. This includes all elements of planning, management, staff direction, budget management, control and successful execution.
- Manage the operation & maintenance/installation of water systems including construction of new /rehabilitation/ expansion/maintenance of water systems, facilitation of site selection and supervision, design for pipe lying and procurement.
- Able to design and draw simple BoQs from the assessments and share that with EH senior officer.
- Ensure the proper operation and maintenance of water supply systems for the IDP Camps.
- Oversee and monitor regular water quality testing activities for turbidity and free chlorine residual Ensure that data for water quality is gathered and recorded is kept in soft and hard copies in the IDPs Camp.
- Oversee EH items and liaise with the supply chain to ensure that bi-weekly checks are made on stock records.
- Organize and monitor the construction and maintenance of sanitation infrastructures in the IDP Camp and transit centers.
- Manage production of directly produce all the necessary appropriate designs/drawings, bills of quantities and specification and follow up orders for the required equipment, tools and materials for the implementation of facilities.
- Supervise the handling, collection, removal and disposal of solid wastes, liquid waste, drainage systems, medical waste, and supervise food hygienic management in the transit Centers in collaboration with sanitation & HP staff.
- Ensure the sanitation infrastructures quantity, quality and distribution over the camp that meets SPHERE standards.
- Work with IDP community to accept their indigenous knowledge and skill for the sustainable usage of sanitation facilities.
- Lead the implementation of proper hygiene promotion methods/approaches that ensure proper use of water and sanitation facilities for the IDP camps.
- In collaboration with senior EH officer Produce appropriate IEC materials for hygiene promotion activities implementation in consultation with IDP representatives and EH team other field Offices of Somali.
- Ensure that the use of IEC materials in the hygiene promotion activities in all Camp are with pre-tested message in relation to culture and religions sensitivity of the beneficiaries.
- Lead in conducting the appropriate Environmental Health (EH) Knowledge, Practice and Coverage (KPC) surveys during survey design, data collection, data entry, analysis and reporting in order to monitor and evaluate the impact of sanitation and hygiene promotion activities.
- Provide timely reports on the field trips, monitoring visits and assessments to senior wash officer.
- Compile weekly, monthly and other circumstantial reports as may be required; including donor reports.
- Degree/Diploma with 3 years working experience in the field of public health or water engineering or other related disciplines; plus relevant work experience in community water, Sanitation and hygiene programs for displaced populations.
- Be able to use a wide variety of software, including Word, Excel and Power Point.
- Ability to work independently in a result oriented multi-tasking and multi-cultural environment and manage conflicting priorities.
- Proven practical experience in the planning and execution of water and sanitation projects. Possibly experience in social work and / or humanitarian assistance.
- Demonstrated experience of integrating gender and diversity issues into WASH Programming.
- Fluency in English, oral and written with strong report writing skills.
You can apply through the following link:
Standards of Professional Conduct:The IRC and IRC workers must adhere to the values and principles outlined in the IRC Way – Code of Conduct. These are Integrity, Service, and Accountability. In accordance with these values, the IRC operates and enforces policies on Beneficiary Protection from Exploitation and Abuse, Child Safeguarding, Harassment-Free Workplace, Fiscal Integrity, Anti-Retaliation, Combating Trafficking in Persons and several others.
Gender Equality: IRC is committed to narrowing the gender gap in leadership positions. We offer benefits that provide an enabling environment for women to participate in our workforce including parental leave, gender-sensitive security protocols and other supportive benefits and allowances.