Duty Station [Aden-Yemen]
Who are we?
The Danish Refugee Council (DRC) has been providing relief and development services in the Horn of Africa since 1997. Using a protection of human rights framework, DRC has mainly focused on Somalis who are displaced by conflict. Programmers include protection, livelihood, food and NFI distribution, water and sanitation, and advocacy amongst others. DRC Yemen has been providing relief and development services in Yemen since 2008. DRC has mainly focused on refugees and migrants displaced by conflict and natural disasters.
DRC, through its specialized business unit, Danish Demining Group (DDG) aims to recreate a safe environment where people can live without the threat of landmines, unexploded ordinances and small arms and light weapons”. These goals can be effectively advanced through cooperation and joint action with other organization as well as with integration of operations and programs with its sister organization, DRC.
About the job:
Overall purpose of the role:
The Area Program Manager (APM) is responsible for the quality and timely implementation DRC’s programs under the Aden operational area and field offices. The APM is a key area management position ensuring synergies and cross-cutting programmatic management. S/he must ensure that policies, systems and people are continuously and accurately working in a coordinated manner resulting in a coherent and comprehensive program design and implementation in line with DRC’s Area Based Approach.
Responsibilities: (in bullet points)
- Direct supervisory of Project Managers in Aden and Lahj.
- Ensures performance objectives and key performance indicators are established and regularly reviewed for direct reports.
- Provides regular constructive feedback to direct reports, and support direct reports in performance management of their team members.
- Develops staff competence through recruitment, leadership, training and coaching of key program technical staff.
- Ensures that a capacity building plan is in place for national staff, and supports nationalization efforts as necessary and relevant.
- Support PMs in ensuring sufficient staffing structures are in place for project teams to ensure delivery of programs.
Program Implementation & Reporting
- Leads on monthly program reviews for grants implemented by Aden Area Office teams to ensure quality and timely program implementation according to work plans, with appropriate levels of spending throughout the project duration.
- Maintains oversight of monthly progress against project indicators and ensures reported figures are accurate and in-line with workplans.
- Ensures high-quality internal and donor programmatic reports are submitted in a timely manner
- In close collaboration with the Support Services Manager, ensures that procurement plans and accurate budget expenditure forecasts are continuously updated and reviewed to ensure timely delivery of project activities.
- Support PMs in project implementation, identifying integration opportunities and ensuring geographic convergence.
- Identifies risk areas to delivery of projects and coordinates solutions and mitigation measures in a timely manner.
- Assures compliance with DRC standards and procedures and donor compliance regulations, through regular coordination with support services teams at Area Office and Country Office level.
- With Grants FPs, ensures project kick-off and closure meetings are conducted and that project staff have access to all relevant documents, tools and reports required for implementation of the project; supports on grant sub agreement processes.
- Ensures that technical direction for implemented projects is aligned with DRC Global and national strategies, in collaboration with technical coordinators.
- Responsible for actively promoting, supporting and driving lessons learnt and adherence to relevant quality standards.
- Frequent travel to the program sites for direct support, coverage, representation and identification of opportunities for organizational growth.
- Ensures projects have sufficient exit strategies in place that are implemented by the project teams for a streamlined closure of activities and/or exit from communities as required.
Program Development and Fundraising
- Contributes to planning and implementation of needs assessments, in close consultation with technical coordinators, including identification of potential new areas of operation.
- Maintains oversight of contextual changes and their potential impact on program delivery and/or changes in needs of communities in Northern Iraq.
- Coordinate with the Country Office program development and grants department, the technical coordinators and the AMs to ensure coordinated efforts towards developing quality proposals.
- Support narrative and budget development of proposals and concept notes.
- Work with PMs to develop programmatic strategies relevant to the evolving context and contribute towards Area Office programmatic planning and master budget.
- Represent DRC at relevant coordination forums and cluster meetings in Aden Office areas of coverage.
- Develops good rapport with the Key Stakeholders at Aden and field level
- Assists Area Manager in conducting regular stakeholder analyses to ensure that DRC has good understanding of dynamics/relationships in the South.
- Ensures community acceptance and maintain engagement with local government (e.g. EXU, MOPIC, etc)
- Maintains high level of security awareness and adhere to all safety regulations provided by DRC for safety and security of DRC staff and assets in Aden as member of the Area Management Team.
- Complies with DRC policies and practice with respect to child safeguarding, code of conduct, safety and security, anti-harassment, and other relevant policies and procedures.
To be successful in this role you must have:
Experience and technical competencies:
- Minimum 5 years of Program Development and Implementation
- Management experience in a highly operational NGO, including field operations experience in a volatile complex humanitarian setting
- Excellent communication skills – verbal and in writing
- Excellent inter-personal skills and proven ability to negotiate with a wide range of people (internally and externally)
- Ability to adapt to the complex and stressful working conditions of the area of operations
- Cultural and gender sensitivity, adaptability, willingness to travel.
- High-level knowledge and practice with Word, Excel, Outlook, etc.
- Ability/willingness to work with extremely tight deadlines and multiple tasks.
- Willingness to follow security policies and procedures
In this position, you are expected to demonstrate DRC’ five core competencies:
Striving for excellence: You focus on reaching results while ensuring an efficient process.
Collaborating: You involve relevant parties and encourage feedback.
Taking the lead: You take ownership and initiative while aiming for innovation.
Communicating: You listen and speak effectively and honestly.
Demonstrating integrity: You act in line with our vision and values.
Moreover, we also expect the following:
- Master’s degree in relevant field or extensive experience can substitute qualification.
- English (Fluent)
- Arabic - desirable
DRC will offer the successful applicant a one year contract, renewable dependent on both funding and performance. You must be available to start work As soon as possible, and be willing and able to work in Yemen – Aden.
Salary and conditions will be in accordance with Danish Refugee Council’s Expatriate Terms of Employment. This position will be placed at Band (F Manager).
Interested? Then apply for this position by clicking on the apply button or the link below.
All applicants must send a cover letter and an updated CV (no longer than four pages). Both must be in the same language as this vacancy note. CV only applications will not be considered.
If you have questions or are facing problems with the online application process, please contact email@example.com
Applications close 29 March 2020. The interviews are expected to take place on a rolling basis.
Need further information?
For more details on this position, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org.
Please note that applications sent directly to [email@example.com] will not be considered.
For further information about the Danish Refugee Council, please consult our website www.drc.ngo