FAO Malawi assists governments to develop policies, programmes and projects to address hunger and malnutrition, and provides technical support for the sustainable development of their agricultural, fisheries and forestry sectors and to respond to crises. The Livestock Specialist will be hired to provide technical support to all relevant projects implemented within FAO Malawi.
The Livestock Specialist will work under the overall supervision of the FAO Representative, the Assistant FAOR (Programme) and the day-to-day supervision of the Head of Technical Section and close collaboration with relevant officers in the Project Coordination Section and the relevant Lead Technical Officers (LTO).
The Livestock Specialist will be the focal point for all FAO Malawi livestock production and animal health projects and initiatives. He or she will supervise implementation of livestock initiatives and provide technical guidance through close collaboration with the Department of Animal Health and Livestock Development (DAHLD).
Tasks and responsibilities
The incumbent will work more specifically\:
- Provide technical advice to FAO Malawi on strengthening support to the livestock sector, especially in the areas of animal health, production, marketing, value chains, policy and strategy.
- Coordinate all animal health related issues and production aspects of project(s) under implementation at the FAO country office in close collaboration with the Project Coordination Section and the DAHLD.
- Ensure timely delivery and implementation of project activities, particularly on aspects such as procurement, monitoring and documenting project activities in support of animal disease surveillance, control, including vaccination programmes, cold chain management, development of strategies, as well as the identification of target areas, development of implementation strategies and modalities as well as data collection and reporting.
- Prepare procurement plans and related technical specifications to guide the procurement of different livestock species (including, but not limited to goats, pigs, chickens, rabbits, quails, pigeons etc.) and support evaluation of submitted tenders and technical inspections ensuring quality compliance.
- In close consultation and collaboration with DAHLD develop and facilitate tailored training for community animal health workers and provide specifications for veterinary kits as may be required.
- Provide technical guidance on the development of livestock-related interventions (targeting of beneficiaries, training of community based animal health agents, inspection of animals, and evaluation of impact).
- Contribute to the development of guidelines and training modules on livestock production to be integrated into the Farmer Field Schools (FFS) curriculum for facilitators and participate in facilitators’ trainings to ensure proper identification of relevant livestock activities at community levels.
- Provide technical support and guidance to the programme team in mainstreaming livestock production as a core module in ongoing community outreach interventions.
- Provide technical guidance and mentorship to frontline Extension Workers and Community Based Facilitators supporting the community outreach.
- Backstop implementing agreements and ensure sound implementation of technical activities included in the Letters of Agreement between Implementing Partners and FAO Malawi.
- Participate in Monitoring and Evaluation of livestock projects.
- Provide technical leadership in the formulation of livestock projects and contribute to the preparation of projects with livestock components.
- Participate in technical working groups on livestock production on behalf of FAO.
- Provide technical advice and guidance on technical specifications, evaluation and clearance of all livestock related goods and services procured with support from FAO by working closely with DAHLD.
- Perform any other tasks as may be required.
CANDIDATES WILL BE ASSESSED AGAINST THE FOLLOWING
- Advanced degree in Veterinary Medicine/Science and/or Animal Science from a recognized University.
- At least 7 years of professional experience in animal production and animal health as well as related project management.
- Working knowledge of English.
- National of Malawi.
FAO Core Competencies
- Results Focus
- Building Effective Relationships
- Knowledge Sharing and Continuous Improvement
- A strong field experience in the surveillance and management of transboundary animal diseases as well as emerging animal diseases
- Previous working experience in a technical advisory role working in an international global organization;
- Demonstrated excellence in oral and written presentation skills in English.
- Strong interpersonal skills and ability to work well within multi-sector and multi-agency working groups;
- A strong field experience in the surveillance and management of transboundary animal diseases as well as emerging animal diseases will be an added advantage.
- Demonstrated previous experience working with the FFS approach to implementation.
- Ability to work as a team player in a multi-disciplinary and multi-ethnic environment with sensitivity and respect for diversity.
- Strong interpersonal skills.