Software Developer Internship for Green Energy Projects
Who are we and what can you gain?
The United Nations Development Programme (UNDP) Office of Information Management and Technology (OIMT) in Copenhagen is responsible for supporting UNDP Country Offices around the world with ICT and Green Energy solutions. Our vision is to develop smart UN facilities which are: Optimal and efficient in management and Sustainable, implemented to build modern age UNDP facilities around the globe that are fully aligned with Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs). Our Unit offers a stimulating and versatile internship in an international environment with contact to various partners from some 166 countries with UNDP presence. We are a team who work in a dynamic and informal atmosphere, and we expect our interns to become vital members of the team.
As an intern, you will be given tasks and opportunities that have a direct global impact on the development efforts of the international community. The UNDP/OIMT Software Developer Internship for Green Energy Projects enhances the academic life experience of passionate students as interns and empowers them to become socially responsible, innovative, and environmentally conscious leaders of tomorrow. We bridge the gap between textbook learning and real-time industry experience by taking interns behind the scenes of the world’s leading clean energy and sustainability initiatives, while learning to take into consideration the local context. Furthermore, during the internship you will have the opportunity to obtain official certifications in project management in controlled environment and IT service management best practices. Being a part of our dynamic unit, you will also gain worldwide connections with other top-talented interns and UN staff from other agencies; our office is located at the UN City in Copenhagen, giving you the opportunity to interact with people outside the UNDP OIMT unit.
Duties and Responsibilities
Your Responsibilities and assignments
To promote and implement green energy solutions to UNDP country offices worldwide, establishing Smart UN facilities. You are expected to take initiative in assisting our offices at each stage of the Seven Step Solar Solution process focusing mainly on developing and optimizing tools and resources to facilitate the delivery of the projects.
- Deploy and support online collaboration tools and business process automation solutions for UNDP Country Offices within the collaboration platform (Microsoft SharePoint and Office 365).
- Develop applications in Office 365 for business processes to replace manual and paper-based processes with new and evolving cloud-based functions. Architect and build applications that employ PowerApps and Flow for mobile-enabled data entry, approvals, and reporting, as may be required. Candidate business processes include, asset management, project tracking, and other decision-making support tools, as may be agreed upon by the Green Energy team.
- Provide support in expanding and refining existing tools used in the implementation of Green Energy Projects
- Support the gathering, consolidating, and analysis of data for project-tracking, and data visualization using Excel, Power BI, and other business intelligence tools. Contribute with innovative perspectives to improve on online reports and dashboards for both internal and external use.
- Provide insight and enhance user interfaces of already existing apps based on UI/UX best practices and user acceptance testing. Refine and continuously innovate (kaizen) the Green Energy procedures, instructions and templates from best practice and then disseminate them through the user community liaising with the communications team;
- Manipulate and clean the data gathered via IoT devices installed in UNDP COs using Data Science principles.
- Access APIs to fetch data from external software, store them in cloud/database and visualise the data on digital dashboards.
- Ability to translate user requirements into UML Diagrams. Develop quality software practicing international coding standards.
Applying your Skills Beyond ICT
- Promote a client service-oriented culture within the unit, connecting the new upcoming UNDP Digital Workspace strategy with current theories and practices in Design Thinking, Service Design, and Customer Experience.
- Explore and pilot alternative tools for enhancing internal communications and tracking, such as chatbots in MS Teams, decision-making assistance tools through various Office 365 tools (Flow, Forms, PowerApps, etc.), and information design (data visualization).
- Creatively develop and drive new projects for innovative collaboration and business process automation systems and tools to be disseminated to UNDP offices as best practice for improvement of operations and business efforts;
- Promote the OIMT’s overall ICT strategic framework and work plan pertaining to the minimum ICT standards, infrastructure, and connectivity dimensions. The OIMT unit is ISO 9001:2015 certified, our work is focused on high quality, continuous improvements, and customer satisfaction.
Technical skills of best Candidate
- Has good knowledge of Microsoft cloud technologies (Office 365, SharePoint Online, Azure) and back office platform (SharePoint, SQL) and frameworks (.NET, PowerShell, etc.)
- Knowledge or experience with specific Office 365 tools (or their consumer equivalents) such as Planner (Trello), Teams (Slack), Yammer (Workplace by Facebook), OneDrive (DropBox, Google Drive), Power BI (Tableau), etc. is a distinct advantage
- Knowledge and understanding of DevOps and Continuous Integration.
- Has good knowledge of Data Science principles and hands on experience with scripting language such as Python.
- Experience with relational databases (schemas, design) and XML is highly desirable
- Has experience and ability in using business intelligence tools, for example: gathering, consolidating and analysing data from databases and reports, manipulating data in Excel (Pivot Tables and queries), Power BI, etc.
- Experience and knowledge in “app” development with InfoPath forms and Nintex Workflows is highly desirable
- Experience with web analytics tools (Google Analytics, Webtrends, Matomo, etc.) is highly desirable
- Knowledge of HTML5, CSS, graphic design and web standards/best practices is highly desirable
- Knowledge of Nintex Workflows, PowerShell, .NET platform, and/or C# programming is an advantage
- Knowledge and understanding of main Renewable technologies and relative relevant parameters is an advantage
Competencies and Attitudes of Best Candidate
- Has interest in developing sustainable ICT solutions for country offices, focusing on modern ICT innovations that enhances collaboration within UNDP and with our partners
- Has strong abilities in IT with an ability to translate technology to business users and to non-technical language
- Has interest and understanding of customer-oriented service delivery, with focus on innovative enterprise ICT solutions, IoT solutions, collaboration and customer experience
- Has interest and understanding of renewable energy engineering, sustainable development-oriented areas of work;
- Has Interest in developing sustainable solutions for country offices, focusing on green energy and energy efficiency
- Has interest and motivation in working in an international organization
- Has good analytical skills in gathering and consolidating data for practical implementation
- Has understanding of data management, including real-time/streaming data, data warehousing and data cleansing
- Is a self-starter and initiative-taking person with a goal-oriented mind-set; good in organizing and structuring various tasks and responsibilities, effective when working in teams and independently
- Displays cultural, gender, religion, race, nationality and age sensitivity and adaptability
- Responds positively to feedback and differing points of view
- Consistently approaches work with energy and a positive, constructive attitude
Required Skills and Experience
Pre-requisite for candidate (to be shown in CV)
- You must meet one of the following requirements:
- *You are currently in the final year of your Bachelor’s degree; or*
- *You are currently enrolled in a Master’s degree; or*
- *You have graduated no longer than 1 year ago from a master’s degree or equivalent studies in the field of IT Technician/Software Developer, energy engineering, electrical engineering or equivalent;*
- Fluent in written and spoken English. Knowledge of other UN languages is an advantage;
- Knowledge and a proficient user of Microsoft Office productivity tools;
- In accordance with the UNDP Internship policy, UNDP interns are eligible to receive a monthly stipend, with the rate that varies depending on the duty location. The stipend will be paid monthly, and part-time internship arrangements are prorated accordingly.
- Where an intern is financially supported by an institution, government or third party, UNDP will, subject to the rules of such institution, government or a third party, pay the intern the difference, if any, between the external financial support provided and the applicable UNDP stipend.
- Except for the stipend, all other expenses connected with the internship will be borne by the intern, sponsoring government or institutions.
- Interns are not considered staff members and may not represent UNDP in any official capacity;
- Interns are responsible for securing adequate medical insurance for the duration of their internship with UNDP and must provide a medical certificate of good health prior to starting the internship. UNDP will not reimburse the medical insurance of the intern. Any costs arising from accidents and illness incurred during an internship assignment will be the responsibility of the intern.
- The purpose of the Internship Programme is not to lead to further employment with UNDP, but to complement an intern’s studies. Therefore, there should be no expectation of employment at the end of an internship.
- UNDP accepts no responsibility for costs arising from accidents and/or illness or death incurred during the internship;
- The intern is responsible for obtaining necessary visas and arranging travel to and from the duty station where the internship will be performed;
- Interns are not eligible to apply for, or be appointed to, any post in UNDP during the period of the internship;
- The intern must provide proof of enrolment in health insurance plan;
- Interns are not staff members and may not represent UNDP in any official capacity;
- You are expected to work full time, but flexibility is allowed for your education programme;
- Eligibility for residency and undertaking internship in Denmark;
- The intern will have to make his/her own arrangements for internship, travel, VISA, accommodation etc.
Please note that only shortlisted candidates will be contacted and called for interview following the deadline. If you have any questions, please write to us via email address firstname.lastname@example.org