ICT Engineering Internship
Who are we and what can you gain?
The United Nations Development Programme (UNDP) Office of Information Management and Technology (OIMT) in Copenhagen is responsible for supporting UNDP Country Offices around the world with ICT and Green Energy solutions. Our vision is to develop smart UN facilities which are: Optimal and efficient, Efficient in management and Sustainable, implemented to build modern age UNDP facilities around the globe that are fully aligned with Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs). Our Unit offers a stimulating and versatile internship in an international environment with contact to various partners from some 166 countries with UNDP presence. We are a team who work in a dynamic and informal atmosphere, and we expect our interns to become vital members of the team.
As an intern, you will be given tasks and opportunities that have a direct global impact on the development efforts of the international community. The UNDP/OIMT ICT Engineering Internship programme enhances the academic life experience of passionate students as interns and empowers them to become socially responsible, innovative, and environmentally conscious leaders of tomorrow. We bridge the gap between textbook learning and real-time industry experience by taking interns behind the scenes of the world’s leading clean energy and sustainability initiatives, while learning to take into consideration the local context. Being a part of our dynamic unit, you will also gain worldwide connections with other top-talented interns and UN staff from other agencies; our office is located at the UN City in Copenhagen, giving you the opportunity to interact with people outside the UNDP OIMT unit.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Providing effective Digital Platform Services to Country Office worldwide: OneICTbox, Managed Security Services and cloud-based network infrastructure services;
- Advisory support and liaising with UNDP country offices to implement stable and robust ICT infrastructure through satellite services, firewall services and innovative ICT solutions;
- Maintain and support in Connectivity monitoring – SNMP;
- Promote, test and work with Cloud solutions – CISCO Meraki devices;
- Develop and implement cloud-based unified communication system;
- Develop Business Applications based on SharePoint Online, PowerApps, PowerBI, together with Data Analytics tools.
- Service management models including ITIL Best Practice and a Service Desk, Service Catalogue;
- Establish guidelines, develop training materials and provide assistance to offices on problem solving;
Applying your Skills Beyond ICT:
- Developing of Knowledge Management (KM) platform;
- Chairing and participate in global conference call with country offices around the world;
- Promote the OIMT’s overall ICT strategic framework and work plan pertaining to the minimum ICT standards, infrastructure, and connectivity dimensions;
- Hosting webinars and present/explain ICT solutions that are developed in-house to country offices;
- Work with Microsoft SharePoint applications, design intranet pages to share information with Country Offices;
- Develop quality focused procedures, instructions and templates from best practice and disseminate through a Practice Community;
- Supporting colleagues in administrative assignments and other ad hoc duties;
- OIMT Copenhagen unit is ISO 9001:2015 certified, all work shall be compliant with the international standard with focus on high quality, continuous improvements and customer satisfaction;
Technical skills of best Candidate:
- Knowledge in Internetworking (TCP/IP, firewall, routing/switching, LAN, WIFI, etc.);
- Network management and administration using Cisco products;
- Unified communication (voice over IP technologies, Microsoft Exchange messaging platform, Cisco Call managers etc.);
- Network Monitoring systems (SNMP based) such as Orion SolarWinds, Zabbix;
- Microsoft collaboration and productivity Tools: MS Teams, SharePoint, O365, Azure;
- Knowledge in developing API scripts and scripting languages is an advantage;
- Knowledge with Google Apps is an advantage;
- Knowledge of web standards and best practices;
- Knowledge in creative web and graphic design is an advantage;
- Knowledge in Internet of Things (IoT) is an advantage;
- Experience in managing and updating website content;
- Work with gathering, consolidating and analysing data from databases and reports;
Competencies and Attitudes of Best Candidate:
- Has interest and understanding of ICT, green energy, sustainable development-oriented areas of work;
- Interest in developing sustainable solutions for country offices, focusing on ICT and renewable energy;
- Interest and motivation in working in an international organization;
- Good analytical skills in gathering and consolidating data and research for practical implementation;
- Outgoing and initiative-taking person with a goal-oriented mind-set;
- Communicates effectively when working in teams and independently;
- Good in organizing and structuring various tasks and responsibilities;
- Fluent in written and spoken English. Knowledge of other UN languages is an advantage;
- Displays cultural, gender, religion, race, nationality and age sensitivity and adaptability;
- Responds positively to feedback and differing points of view;
- Consistently approaches work with energy and a positive, constructive attitude.
Required Skills and Experience
Pre-requisite for candidate (to be shown in CV)
You must meet one of the following requirements:
- *You are currently in the final year of your Bachelor’s degree; or*
- *You are currently enrolled in a Master’s degree; or*
- *You have graduated no longer than 1 year ago from a master’s degree or equivalent studies in the field of Information communication technologies, network and telecommunications, computer science, or equivalent.*
Fluent in written and spoken English. Knowledge of other UN languages is an advantage;
Knowledge with network architecture and network monitoring systems;
Experience in managing and updating website content.
Knowledge and a proficient user of Microsoft Office productivity tools;
- In accordance with the UNDP Internship policy, UNDP interns are eligible to receive a monthly stipend, with the rate that varies depending on the duty location. The stipend will be paid monthly, and part-time internship arrangements are prorated accordingly.
- Where an intern is financially supported by an institution, government or third party, UNDP will, subject to the rules of such institution, government or a third party, pay the intern the difference, if any, between the external financial support provided and the applicable UNDP stipend.
- Except for the stipend, all other expenses connected with the internship will be borne by the intern, sponsoring government or institutions.
- Interns are not considered staff members and may not represent UNDP in any official capacity;
- Interns are responsible for securing adequate medical insurance for the duration of their internship with UNDP and must provide a medical certificate of good health prior to starting the internship. UNDP will not reimburse the medical insurance of the intern. Any costs arising from accidents and illness incurred during an internship assignment will be the responsibility of the intern.
- The purpose of the Internship Programme is not to lead to further employment with UNDP, but to complement an intern’s studies. Therefore, there should be no expectation of employment at the end of an internship.
- UNDP accepts no responsibility for costs arising from accidents and/or illness or death incurred during the internship;
- The intern is responsible for obtaining necessary visas and arranging travel to and from the duty station where the internship will be performed;
- Interns are not eligible to apply for, or be appointed to, any post in UNDP during the period of the internship;
- The intern must provide proof of enrolment in health insurance plan;
- Interns are not staff members and may not represent UNDP in any official capacity;
- You are expected to work full time, but flexibility is allowed for your education programme;
- Eligibility for residency and undertaking internship in Denmark;
- The intern will have to make his/her own arrangements for internship, travel, VISA, accommodation etc.
Please note that only shortlisted candidates will be contacted and called for interview following the
deadline. If you have any questions, please write to us via email address email@example.com