Internship Call for Application - Natural Sciences Sector (Headquarters)
Grade : N/A
Parent Sector : [[Natural Sciences Sector]]
Duty Station: Paris
Job Family: Natural Sciences
Type of contract : Non Staff
Duration of contract : From 1 to 6 months
Recruitment open to : External candidates
Application Deadline (Midnight Paris Time) : 31-JUL-2020
UNESCO Core Values: Commitment to the Organization, Integrity, Respect for Diversity, Professionalism
ABOUT THE SECTOR
Creating knowledge and understanding through science equips us to find solutions to today’s acute economic, social and environmental challenges and to achieving sustainable development and greener societies. As no one country can achieve sustainable development alone, international scientific cooperation contributes, not only to scientific knowledge but also to building peace.
UNESCO works to assist countries to invest in science, technology and innovation (STI), to develop national science policies, to reform their science systems and to build capacity to monitor and evaluate performance through STI indicators and statistics taking into account the broad range of country-specific contexts.
Science policies are not enough. Science and engineering education at all levels and research capacity need to be built to allow countries to develop their own solutions to their specific problems and to play their part in the international scientific and technological arena.fred'S
Linking science to society, public understanding of science and the participation of citizens in science are essential to creating societies where people have the necessary knowledge to make professional, personal and political choices, and to participate in the stimulating world of discovery. Indigenous knowledge systems developed with long and close interaction with nature, complement knowledge systems based on modern science.
Science and technology empower societies and citizens but also involve ethical choices. UNESCO works with its member States to foster informed decisions about the use of science and technology, in particular in the field of bioethics.-
Water is fundamental for life and ensuring water security for communities worldwide is essential to peace and sustainable development. The scientific understanding of the water cycle, the distribution and characteristics of surface and groundwater, of urban water all contribute to the wise management of freshwater for a healthy environment and to respond to human needs.
Scientific knowledge of the Earth’s history and mineral resources, knowledge of ecosystems and biodiversity, and the interaction of humans with ecosystems are important to help us understand how to manage our planet for a peaceful and sustainable future.OVERVIEW OF THE FUNCTIONS OF THE POST
- The Intern will have the opportunity to learn and support the over-all work of the sector / programme’s mission.
- The intern will be selected according to their specialization and needs of the sector.
- Activities will vary depending on the requirements of the assignments.
- Specific Terms of Reference and learning objectives will form part of the contract.
For detailed information, please consult the UNESCO Competency FrameworkREQUIRED QUALIFICATIONS
Interns are selected on a competitive basis. Applicants to UNESCO internships must at the time of application meet the following academic requirements:
- Completed university studies (bachelor's degree or equivalent) at a university or equivalent institution prior to commencing the assignment;
- Enrolled in a graduate programme (second university degree or Master's degree or equivalent, or higher), at the time of application; or
- Have graduated with a university degree (first or second degree as defined above), and must start the internship within one-year of graduation.
- Age: You must be at least 20 years old to apply.
- Languages: You should have an excellent command, both written and spoken, of English or French. A working knowledge of the other language (English or French) is an asset, and may be required for internships in secretarial and assistantship assignments at the headquarters.
- Computer skills: You must have an excellent knowledge of computer systems and office-related software.
- Team player: You should be able to work well in a team and adapt to an international working environment.
- Communication skills: You should possess strong interpersonal and communication skills.
- Proof of health insurance coverage from a valid major global medical insurance company for the duration of the internship.
- Provide a medical certificate of good health prior to starting the internship.
- You are allowed to submit only one application.
- The duration of an internship generally ranges between 2 and 6 months.
- Even if you are eligible, there is no guarantee of placement. We receive more applications from qualified candidates than we can place.
- Your application will be accessed by UNESCO managers around the world and will stay in our database for a period of six months.
- We do not respond to each and every candidate. If selected, you will be directly contacted by the manager. If you do not receive any update within six months, it means that your application has not been successful.
UNESCO does not remunerate interns. There is no compensation, financial or otherwise for internship assignments.Footer
UNESCO applies a zero tolerance policy against all forms of harassment.
UNESCO is committed to achieve and sustain gender parity among its staff members in all categories and at all grades. Furthermore, UNESCO is committed to achieving workforce diversity in terms of gender, nationality and culture. Individuals from minority groups, indigenous groups and persons with disabilities, as well as nationals from non-and under-represented Member States (last update here) are equally encouraged to apply. All applications will be treated with the strictest confidence. Worldwide mobility is required for staff members appointed to international posts. UNESCO does not charge a fee at any stage of the recruitment process.