Medical coordinator (M/F) - Bulgaria
For more than 40 years, Médecins du Monde, a campaigning medical organisation committed to international solidarity, has been caring for the most vulnerable populations at home and abroad. It has continued to highlight obstacles that exist in accessing health care and has secured sustainable improvements in health-for-all policies.
Those working for this independent organisation do not solely dispense care and treatment but condemn violations of human dignity and rights and fight to improve matters for populations living in precarious situations.
MdM currently works in more than 30 countries across all continents where it focuses on 5 priority areas: emergency and crisis, sexual and reproductive health, harm reduction, migrants and displaced populations (health rights), health and environment.
Present in Bulgaria since 2004, MdM France runs a new project focusing on empowerment and community mobilization of vulnerable people living in illegal settlements in Bulgaria. The project is implemented in Bulgaria, in the town of Sliven in the ghetto of Nadejda, a particularly secluded ghetto of 15,000 persons, mostly populated by Bulgarian of Roma ethnicity. In order to effectively tackle the root causes of poor health outcomes on the long term, a holistic approach is necessary. Through its community awareness activities on health (Information Education and Communication (IEC), life skills sessions on health with a focus on sexual and reproductive health and rights), MdM wants to ensure access to health and social services and rights. Health IEC activities is the main entry point of MdM to build on empowerment and community mobilization in Nadejda.
TASKS AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
Under the overall supervision of the general coordinator in Bulgaria, you will work in close collaboration with the project manager of the Sexual and Reproductive Health and Rights (SRHR) project and the medical advisor for Eurasia unit.
You will be in charge of carrying out, designing, scheduling and adapting health activities. You will be responsible for the medical quality, supervision and coordination of medical activities, practices and health data in Bulgaria.
You will supervise the nurse of the team and interact with the health mobilizers for the conduct of awareness activities. As a coordinator, you will take part in the country strategy elaboration.
More specifically, you will be in charge of:
Project management support
- Coordinate all medical aspects of MdM projects in Bulgaria
- Ensure and oversee the quality and the relevance of the medical activities for both projects (for now Sexual and Reproductive health and Empowerment in Sliven)
- In collaboration with the general coordinator, ensure that MdM health and medical quality procedures are implemented;
- Ensure technical support to the project teams through regular field visits and team meetings
- Supporting SOP implementation (referral system) and its regular revision according to the needs
- Follow the national medical legal framework/policies, including control of communicable diseases
- Ensure that patient confidentiality is respected and that medical staff behavior meets ethical medical and humanitarian standards
- Ensure the issue of Gender Based Violence (GBV) is considered by the staff and that appropriate measures are taken (referrals, etc)
- If relevant, collect experience of violence in the target population to feed MdM advocacy strategy (with a risk analysis and mitigation plan)
- Investigate any information regarding unusual health events or diseases outbreak, provided through any source
- Capitalize the practices with the aim to share with other MdM projects
- Participate in the development of general strategy for MdM activities, along with the team and ensure that the different components of projects are consistent with MdM strategy
- Identify, monitor and report unmet health needs and gaps, explore the potential of MdM to address them
- Along with the general coordinator, be proactive in response to any changes (contexts, new health needs, obstacles, opening of new programs) by adapting new strategies for the program
- Conduct health needs assessments as identified by the MdM or partners teams, or as requested by stakeholders and partners
- Contribute to project design, planning and monitoring tools
Representation and external relations
- Promote the MdM philosophy and protocols to partners (INGO, MoH, …)
- Evaluate the needs and requests of partners
- Maintain regular relations with stakeholders working with migrants in order to ensure capacity building and support for SGBV
- Maintain regular relations with the directors of hospitals to ensure the reception of medical referrals.
- Maintain good relations with the municipality and health actors (gynecologists, laboratory) in Sliven to involve them in a successful exit strategy
- Attend all necessary and relevant health meetings and workshops on behalf of MdM.
- Monitor the health situation in the country with a special focus on MdM's specific thematic areas
- Support project manager (Sliven) to ensure the quality of the M&E system including Monitool, quality of data collected and analysis
- Collect any other data/reports as requested by the donor, general coordinator and HQ adviser
- Provide the analysis/feedback on the epidemiological data
- Report on the health and sanitary humanitarian situation in Bulgaria to the general coordinator and HQ
- Ensure that morbidity reports are sent to national public health institutions if requested
- Participate in the writing of proposals for institutional donors if requested
- Report on the readjustment of the current project
Management / HR
- Supervise the nurse
- Identify HR needs, overseeing recruitment of medical staff, and introduction for the new team members about the MdM standards and values
- Increases team’s awareness and sensibility on human rights issues and make sure the team is acting in accordance to humanitarian principles
Internal and external trainings
- Identify training needs of MdM staffs and ensure formal and on-job training for MdM medical staff
- If needed, participate in, support and conduct trainings on relevant topics (SGBV for example)
- Identify training needs for partners (health authorities and local NGOs), organize trainings and ensure the quality of the content
- Support logistics to ensure supplies fit with MDM quality standards
- Participate in the pharmacy stock management (inventory, expiration dates, stock cards, daily consumption, others)
- Support the delivery of drugs and consumables to the field in weekly bases and avoid shortage
- Support and advise the medical teams in order to ensure the correct use of drugs and to avoid unnecessary expenses on drugs
- Be responsible for the purchase order for drugs in coordination with the field coordinator
CONDITIONS OF EMPLOYMENT:
Contract: Fixed-term contract
Duration: 12 months
Starting date: May 18th, 2020
The position is based in Sliven, with regular travels to Sofia and on request in other parts of the country or region;
Gross monthly salary: 2816 euros
Premium equal to one month salary paid in two instalments - minimum of 6 months seniority required
Expatriation bonus (10% gross salary per month)
Transportation cost, vaccines and visas covered
22.5 RTT (recovery days) per year
5 weeks of paid leaves per year.
Health insurance (60% covered by MdM)
Médecins du Monde promotes trainings and internal mobility
SKILLS AND EXPERIENCE NEEDED:
Medical or paramedical background as doctor, nurse or midwife
Registration on the National Medical Association is essential
Technical skills in medical project management in humanitarian context
Previous experience as a health/medical advisor or health/medical coordinator in humanitarian/development context
Excellent organizational skills - ability to classify and to manage priorities
Ability to listen and share decisions and to take effective decisions according to the context
Flexibility, reactivity, anticipation, adaptability, capacity to take initiatives
Good writing and communication skills
EU driving license is an asset
Excellent knowledge of Office pack (MS Word, MS Excel)
Fluent spoken and written English is mandatory
Fluent Bulgarian/Roma is a strong asset
You are committed to MdM’s values as an organisation and motivated by its non-statutory, NFP model.
TELEPHONE APPLICATIONS WILL NOT BE ACCEPTED
Médecins du Monde reserves the right to fill the vacancy before the closing date for applications.
MdM stands up for the integration of people living with disabilities and fights against discrimination.
To apply, click on the following link : http://www.jobs.net/j/JMjSsQee?idpartenaire=128