The Programme Management Unit (PMU) of the FAO-Saudi Technical Cooperation Programme (2019-2025) facilitates, coordinates and manages all technical and advisory services to be provided by FAO to the Saudi Ministry of Environment, Water and Agriculture (MoEWA). The project 'UTF/SAU/051/SAU Strengthening MoEWA's Capacity to Implement the Sustainable Rural Agricultural Development Programme' is the first project that has been approved within the framework of FAO-Saudi Technical Cooperation Programme (2019-2025). The project will provide technical and advisory assistance to the MoEWA in implementing its flagship sustainable rural agricultural development programme that has recently been approved within the context of the National Transformation Programme of the Saudi Vision 2030. The project expected results will be achieved through implementation of nine project components\: 1) Development of coffee Arabica production, processing and marketing; 2) Development of beekeeping and honey production; 3) Development of rose production and trade; 4) Development of sub-tropical fruits production, processing and marketing; 5) Strengthening capacity of small-scale fishermen and fish farmers; 6) Strengthening capacity of small-scale livestock herders; 7) Development of rain-fed cereals production; 8) Enhancing value addition from smallholdings and rural activities; and 9) Strengthening MoEWA's capacity in sustainable management of rangelands, forests and natural resources to support rural livelihoods.
The incumbent will be part of the Programme Management Unit of the FAO-Saudi Technical Cooperation Programme in Riyadh, Saudi Arabia.
The National Professional Officer reports directly to the FAO Programme Coordinator in the Kingdom of Saudi Arabia in consultation with the Chief Technical Adviser of the project and in collaboration with the Chief Technical Adviser of the Sustainable Rural Agricultural Development Programme
Programme development and management, coordination and operational support based on the knowledge of the local conditions, culture, language, and institutions of Saudi Arabia.
Effective and efficient management and coordination of the technical and operational support of the programme and project.
- Participates in policy dialogue and advises government authorities, local, national and international institutions in the areas of FAO's activities and liaises with other UN agencies. Represents FAO at inter-agency meetings.
- Promotes the image of FAO through advocacy of the Organization's mandate, programmes, national priorities and activities including the coordination of development and maintenance of communication tools such as website, press releases and publications, and supports the implementation of FAO's regulatory frameworks (Codex Alimentarius, Code of Conduct for Responsible Fisheries, Safe Use of Pesticides, etc.) in the country.
- Coordinates and manages the maintenance of country data on food, crops, livestock, forestry and fisheries, including information on external aid in FAO's corporate systems and monitor and communicate changes in national policies affecting the agricultural sector.
- Takes the lead in producing technical, economic and policy studies as well as developing country level development frameworks such as the Country Programming Framework (CPF) and the United Nations Development Assistance Framework (UNDAF).
- Identifies, formulates and coordinates the preparation of programme and project proposals, monitors FAO field programme implementation, ensuring that all operational activities are carried out in line with the work plan and the project document, and makes recommendations on how to improve results and increase efficiency.
- Briefs, trains and supervises lower grade level programme staff regarding all aspects of the job. Ensures adherence to procedures and work requirements and accuracy and diligence of the work provided.
- Co-leads comprehensive situation analysis, baseline assessment and diagnostic studies of national parks using internationally accepted methodologies and tools to give directions to the sustainable development of the sector;
- Benchmarks best practices and lessons learned from successful country experiences for sustainable management and development of national parks in Saudi Arabia;
- Co-develops, updates and leads field implementation of procedures for registration and gazetting of national parks and eco-tourism sites;
- Conducts diagnostic study on private sector investment suitability for selected key national parks for eco-tourism and other purposes using internationally accepted methods and develops and supports implementation of national park investment policy, regulations and procedures;
- Co-prepares and leads launching of investment promotion campaigns and marketing programmes to demonstrate national parks' investment opportunities and mobilize private investors;
- Conducts national technical and institutional capacity needs assessment to identify capacity gaps for sustainably managing and developing Saudi national parks.
- Co-designs and leads the implementation of a capacity development programme to strengthen national parks management and eco-tourism development capacities;
- Co-develops and updates criteria and indicators for selecting and prioritizing national park and eco-tourism development sites and prepares and promotes eco-tourism master plans for selected sites applying best practices and internationally accepted standards;
- Co-prepares and leads the implementation of guidelines and action plans to promote sustainable adoption of innovative practices and systems for national parks' development, conservation and management;
- Co-prepares and leads the implementation of a plan for the re-introduction and conservation of indigenous vegetation in national parks and establishes and initiates operation of a multiservice 'eco-museum centre' in a selected national park;
- Contributes to and leads operationalization of a national parks management information system integrating social, cultural and economic and environmental information and develops, launches and updates online atlas for the Saudi Arabia national parks;
- Contributes to and leads implementation of a national multimedia public awareness programme for conservation and protection of Saudi national parks and natural heritage;
- Co-prepares and leads the implementation of model national parks' management and monitoring plan as well as designs and prepares protocols for the establishment of botanical gardens in the national parks of Saudi Arabia;
- Co-leads development of demand driven and responsive partnerships to benefit Saudi Arabia from proven innovation and good practices in the south and the north for national parks management.
- National of the Kingdom of Saudi Arabia;
- Advanced University degree in parks conservation and protected areas management, natural resources management or any other related field;
- Seven years of relevant experience in conservation and management of national parks, natural resources management and/or project management in the field of sustainable rural agricultural development’
- Working knowledge (Level C) of Arabic and limited knowledge (Level B) of English.
- Results Focus
- Building Effective Relationships
- Knowledge Sharing and Continuous Improvement
- Work experience in more than one location or area of work, particularly in field positions is desirable;
- Extent and relevance of experience in national parks and natural resources management;
- Demonstrated understanding of the purpose and functions of the technical programme, operational guidelines and project/programme management procedures, preferably those adopted by the United Nations or FAO;
- Extent and relevance of experience in the field of policy analysis relating to natural resources management, food and nutrition security, agriculture and rural development;
- Extent and relevance of experience in the collection of country data on food, crops, livestock, national parks, forestry and fisheries;
- Extent and relevance of experience in the identification, formulation and preparation of programme and project proposals as well as programme/project implementation, monitoring and reviewed.