The Programme Management Unit (PMU) of the FAO-Saudi Technical Cooperation Programme (2019-2025) facilitates, coordinates and manages all technical and advisory services to be provided by FAO to the Saudi Ministry of Environment, Water and Agriculture (MoEWA). The project 'UTF/SAU/051/SAU Strengthening MoEWA's Capacity to Implement the Sustainable Rural Agricultural Development Programme' is the first project that has been approved within the framework of FAO-Saudi Technical Cooperation Programme (2019-2025). The project will provide technical and advisory assistance to the MoEWA in implementing its flagship sustainable rural agricultural development programme that has recently been approved within the context of the National Transformation Programme of the Saudi Vision 2030. The project expected results will be achieved through implementation of nine project components\: 1) Development of coffee Arabica production, processing and marketing; 2) Development of beekeeping and honey production; 3) Development of rose production and trade; 4) Development of sub-tropical fruits production, processing and marketing; 5) Strengthening capacity of small-scale fishermen and fish farmers; 6) Strengthening capacity of small-scale livestock herders; 7) Development of rain-fed cereals production; 8) Enhancing value addition from smallholdings and rural activities; and 9) Strengthening MoEWA's capacity in sustainable management of rangelands, forests and natural resources to support rural livelihoods.
The incumbent will be part of the Programme Management Unit of the FAO-Saudi Technical Cooperation Programme in Riyadh, Saudi Arabia.
The National professional Officer reports directly to the FAO Programme Coordinator in the Kingdom of Saudi Arabia in consultation with the Chief Technical Adviser of the project and in collaboration with the Chief Technical Adviser of the Sustainable Rural Agricultural Development Programme.
Programme development and management, coordination and operational support based on the knowledge of the local conditions, culture, language, and institutions of Saudi Arabia.
Effective and efficient management and coordination of the technical and operational support of the programme and project activities.
- Participates in policy dialogue and advises government authorities, local, national and international institutions in the areas of FAO's activities and liaises with other UN agencies. Represents FAO at inter-agency meetings;
- Promotes the image of FAO through advocacy of the Organization's mandate, programmes, national priorities and activities including the coordination of development and maintenance of communication tools such as website, press releases and publications, and supports the implementation of FAO's regulatory frameworks (Codex Alimentarius, Code of Conduct for Responsible Fisheries, Safe Use of Pesticides, etc.) in the country;
- Coordinates and manages the maintenance of country data on food, crops, livestock, forestry and fisheries, including information on external aid in FAO's corporate systems and monitor and communicate changes in national policies affecting the agricultural sector;
- Takes the lead in producing technical, economic and policy studies as well as developing country level development frameworks such as the Country Programming Framework (CPF) and the United Nations Development Assistance Framework (UNDAF);
- Identifies, formulates and coordinates the preparation of programme and project proposals, monitors FAO field programme implementation, ensuring that all operational activities are carried out in line with the work plan and the project document, and makes recommendations on how to improve results and increase efficiency;
- Briefs, trains and supervises lower grade level programme staff regarding all aspects of the job. Ensures adherence to procedures and work requirements and accuracy and diligence of the work provided.
- Advises and coordinates with the Programme Coordinator, liaises with the PMU and the MoEWA to ensure the flow of cooperation and coordination in the planning, implementation, and monitoring of progress of the project component in accordance with the project document;
- Works in close collaboration with and ensure timely and full coordination with the 'Project Focal Points' to facilitate the implementation of the Project, prepare periodical reports, for organization of the Regional Steering Committee meetings, and act as reporter in during the meetings, and ensure timely preparation of the Committee minutes and their distribution;
- Co-leads the comprehensive sector review of animal production and disease control and the organization of diagnostic studies on livestock and animal production industry including comparative studies on traditional and commercial production to give direction to the sustainable development of the sector;
- Contributes to the identification of important local animal/livestock and breeds present in each of the target regions as well as prepares and initiates the implementation of a national breeding programme for the Kingdom of Saudi Arabia;
- Supervises the establishment and operation of local animal breeding centres (community-based breeding programmes), and assists in the preparation of production and distribution of selected breeding animals which is to be managed by livestock keeper's associations;
- Co-leads the development of integrated management and husbandry practices for small ruminants and promotion of best practices to small-scale producers;
- Contributes to the identification of appropriate technologies for small-scale animal production in rural areas, pilot tests and promotes the application, by small producers and their cooperatives, small scale model farms, appropriate innovations and technological packages for animal husbandry, housing and shelter management in livestock production regions;
- Assesses and develops a needs-based training and capacity development programme to strengthen skills of livestock herders, producers, processors and other value chain actors;
- Co-leads development and promotion of appropriate integrated rural animal husbandry system, community based sustainable grazing management practices and sustainable drought resistant forage sites;
- Prepares and coordinates the implementation of an integrated livestock disease control plan including the establishment of animal isolation and quarantine systems, the improvement of physical infrastructure and logistics support for livestock rearing, veterinary, bio security and animal health services and laboratories;
- Co-leads the development, and supervises the implementation and monitoring of the project component annual work and expenditure plan in accordance with project document. Ensures the flow of cooperation and coordination in the planning, implementation and monitoring of progress of the project component;
- Co-leads and/or supervises preparation and dissemination of various written project component outputs, e.g. background papers, sector reviews, technical reports, sections of reports and studies, manuals, guidelines and checklists as well as knowledge products;
- Co-leads and supervises preparation of quarterly and semi-annual project component progress reports, terminal report and identifies lessons learned, constraints and issues that require timely resolution and corrective actions and presents recommendations for improving the performance;
- Co-leads development of demand driven and responsive partnerships to benefit Saudi Arabia from proven innovation and good practices in the south and the north for animal production and marketing;
- Coordinates with SRAD National Director and national stakeholders to ensure close working relations with MoEWA branches and other organisations, institutions and local authorities, to ensure timely conducting of country activities, including contractual arrangements, and inform the CTA of problems and obstacles that need attention and specific assistance;
- Provides support in the design and organization of social, qualitative and quantitative studies including but not limited to gender mainstreaming, productive family issues, entrepreneurship, internal migration and with respect to rural people and youth participation and opinion considerations;
- Ensures that SRADP investment and support components including the provision of equipment, construction water harvesting, nurseries, vet clinics, extension centers and others include fishing and marketing facilities are timely completed.
CANDIDATES WILL BE ASSESSED AGAINST THE FOLLOWING
- National of the Kingdom of Saudi Arabia;
- Advanced University degree in animal production, veterinary sciences with specialization in ruminants breeding and production or any other related field;
- Seven years of relevant experience in animal production and animal breeding technical assistance programmes and/or project management in the field of sustainable rural agricultural development;
- Working knowledge (Level C) of Arabic and limited knowledge (Level B) of English.
- Results Focus
- Building Effective Relationships
- Knowledge Sharing and Continuous Improvement
- Work experience in more than one location or area of work, particularly in field positions is desirable;
- Extent and relevance of experience in the production and animal breeding technical assistance programmes or projects;
- Demonstrated understanding of the purpose and functions of the technical programme, operational guidelines and project/programme management procedures, preferably those adopted by the United Nations or FAO;
- Extent and relevance of experience in the field of policy analysis relating to livestock, food and nutrition security, agriculture and rural development;
- Extent and relevance of experience in the collection of country data on food, crops, livestock, forestry and fisheries;
- Extent and relevance of experience in the identification, formulation and preparation of programme and project proposals as well as programme/project implementation, monitoring and reviewed;
- Extent and relevance of experience in Saud Arabia is considered a strong asset.