The Programme Management Unit (PMU) of the FAO-Saudi Technical Cooperation Programme (2019-2025) facilitates, coordinates and manages all technical and advisory services to be provided by FAO to the Saudi Ministry of Environment, Water and Agriculture (MoEWA). The project 'UTF/SAU/051/SAU Strengthening MoEWA's Capacity to Implement the Sustainable Rural Agricultural Development Programme' is the first project that has been approved within the framework of FAO-Saudi Technical Cooperation Programme (2019-2025). The project will provide technical and advisory assistance to the MoEWA in implementing its flagship sustainable rural agricultural development programme that has recently been approved within the context of the National Transformation Programme of the Saudi Vision 2030. The project expected results will be achieved through implementation of nine project components\: 1) Development of coffee Arabica production, processing and marketing; 2) Development of beekeeping and honey production; 3) Development of rose production and trade; 4) Development of sub-tropical fruits production, processing and marketing; 5) Strengthening capacity of small-scale fishermen and fish farmers; 6) Strengthening capacity of small-scale livestock herders; 7) Development of rain-fed cereals production; 8) Enhancing value addition from smallholdings and rural activities; and 9) Strengthening MoEWA's capacity in sustainable management of rangelands, forests and natural resources to support rural livelihoods.
The incumbent will be part of the Programme Management Unit of the FAO-Saudi Technical Cooperation Programme in Riyadh, Saudi Arabia.
The National Professional Officer reports directly to the FAO Programme Coordinator in the Kingdom of Saudi Arabia in consultation with the Chief Technical Adviser (CTA) of the project and in collaboration with the Chief Technical Adviser of the Sustainable Rural Agricultural Development Programme.
Programme development and management, coordination and operational support based on the knowledge of the local conditions, culture, language, and institutions of Saudi Arabia.
Effective and efficient management and coordination of the technical and operational support of the programme and project.
- Participates in policy dialogue and advises government authorities, local, national and international institutions in the areas of FAO's activities and liaises with other UN agencies. Represents FAO at inter-agency meetings;
- Promotes the image of FAO through advocacy of the Organization's mandate, programmes, national priorities and activities including the coordination of development and maintenance of communication tools such as website, press releases and publications, and supports the implementation of FAO's regulatory frameworks (Codex Alimentarius, Code of Conduct for Responsible Fisheries, Safe Use of Pesticides, etc.) in the country;
- Coordinates and manages the maintenance of country data on food, crops, livestock, forestry and fisheries, including information on external aid in FAO's corporate systems and monitor and communicate changes in national policies affecting the agricultural sector;
- Takes the lead in producing technical, economic and policy studies as well as developing country level development frameworks such as the Country Programming Framework (CPF) and the United Nations Development Assistance Framework (UNDAF);
- Identifies, formulates and coordinates the preparation of programme and project proposals, monitors FAO field programme implementation, ensuring that all operational activities are carried out in line with the work plan and the project document, and makes recommendations on how to improve results and Briefs, trains and supervises lower grade level programme staff regarding all aspects of the job. Ensures adherence to procedures and work requirements and accuracy and diligence of the work provided.
- Co-leads the compressive situation analysis, baseline assessment and diagnostic studies on the current status of land desertification in Saudi Arabia to give directions on its monitoring and control;
- Reviews and assesses current strategies, plans and initiatives for combating desertification and reducing sand encroachment in Saudi Arabia;
- Undertakes diagnoses and analyses of the current institutional framework for dealing with vegetation cover and combating desertification;
- Engages stakeholders and establishes multistakeholder platform for engagement on land degradation, combating desertification and reducing sand encroachment;
- Co-leads the development, testing and implementing of techniques and tools for monitoring, assessing and analysing land desertification and land restoration in Saudi Arabia;
- Co-leads the development and implementation of a capacity development programme for Government and stakeholders on developing and implementing strategies and plans for combating desertification and reducing sand encroachment;
- Supports the preparation of strategy and action plan for combat desertification and reduce sand encroachment and assists in its implementation;
- Provides technical support for the establishment of the National Centre for Development of Vegetation Cover and Combating Desertification including preparation of job description and specifications and preparation and implementation of recruitment plans for hiring its personnel;
- Provides technical support to the development and operation of a system for monitoring desertification and land restoration in Saudi Arabia including relevant indicators;
- Leads the development of demand driven and responsive partnerships to benefit Saudi Arabia from proven innovation and good practices in the south and north for land degradation and desertification control;
- Co-leads the development and dissemination of information and knowledge products for land desertification control.
CANDIDATES WILL BE ASSESSED AGAINST THE FOLLOWING
- National of the Kingdom of Saudi Arabia;
- Advanced University degree in environmental science, soil science, natural resources management, conservation biology, agriculture or any other related field;
- Seven years of relevant experience in land desertification, land restoration or natural resources management and/or project management in the field of sustainable rural agricultural development;
- Working knowledge (Level C) of Arabic and limited knowledge (Level B) of English.
- Results Focus
- Building Effective Relationships
- Knowledge Sharing and Continuous Improvement
- Work experience in more than one location or area of work, particularly in field positions is desirable;
- Extent and relevance of experience in land degradation and/or natural resources management;
- Demonstrated understanding of the purpose and functions of the technical programme, operational guidelines and project/programme management procedures, preferably those adopted by the United Nations or FAO;
- Extent and relevance of experience in the field of policy analysis relating to land resources management food and nutrition security, agriculture and rural development;
- Extent and relevance of experience in the collection of country data on food, crops, livestock, forestry, desertification and fisheries;
- Extent and relevance of experience in the identification, formulation and preparation of programme and project proposals as well as programme/project implementation, monitoring and reviewed;
- Extent and relevance of experience in Saudi Arabia is considered a strong asset.