The Programme Management Unit (PMU) of the FAO-Saudi Technical Cooperation Programme (2019-2025) facilitates, coordinates and manages all technical and advisory services to be provided by FAO to the Saudi Ministry of Environment, Water and Agriculture (MoEWA). The project 'UTF/SAU/051/SAU Strengthening MoEWA's Capacity to Implement the Sustainable Rural Agricultural Development Programme' is the first project that has been approved within the framework of FAO-Saudi Technical Cooperation Programme (2019-2025). The project will provide technical and advisory assistance to the MoEWA in implementing its flagship sustainable rural agricultural development programme that has recently been approved within the context of the National Transformation Programme of the Saudi Vision 2030. The project expected results will be achieved through implementation of nine project components\: 1) Development of coffee Arabica production, processing and marketing; 2) Development of beekeeping and honey production; 3) Development of rose production and trade; 4) Development of sub-tropical fruits production, processing and marketing; 5) Strengthening capacity of small-scale fishermen and fish farmers; 6) Strengthening capacity of small-scale livestock herders; 7) Development of rain-fed cereals production; 8) Enhancing value addition from smallholdings and rural activities; and 9) Strengthening MoEWA's capacity in sustainable management of rangelands, forests and natural resources to support rural livelihoods.
The incumbent will be part of the Programme Management Unit of the FAO-Saudi Technical Cooperation Programme in Riyadh, Saudi Arabia.
The National Professional Officer reports directly to the FAO Programme Coordinator in the Kingdom of Saudi Arabia in consultation with the Chief Technical Adviser (CTA) of the project and in collaboration with the Chief Technical Adviser of the Sustainable Rural Agricultural Development Programme
Programme development and management, coordination and operational support based on the knowledge of the local conditions, culture, language, and institutions of Saudi Arabia.
Effective and efficient management and coordination of the technical and operational support of the programme and project.
- Participates in policy dialogue and advises government authorities, local, national and international institutions in the areas of FAO's activities and liaises with other UN agencies. Represents FAO at inter-agency meetings;
- Promotes the image of FAO through advocacy of the Organization's mandate, programmes, national priorities and activities including the coordination of development and maintenance of communication tools such as website, press releases and publications, and supports the implementation of FAO's regulatory frameworks (Codex Alimentarius, Code of Conduct for Responsible Fisheries, Safe Use of Pesticides, etc.) in the country;
- Coordinates and manages the maintenance of country data and information on food, crops, livestock, forestry and fisheries, including information on external aid in FAO's corporate systems and monitor and communicate changes in national policies affecting the agricultural sector;
- Takes the lead in producing technical, economic and policy studies as well as developing country level development frameworks such as the Country Programming Framework (CPF) and the United Nations Development Assistance Framework (UNDAF);
- Identifies, formulates and coordinates the preparation of programme and project proposals, monitors FAO field programme implementation, ensuring that all operational activities are carried out in line with the work plan and the project document, and makes recommendations on how to improve results and increase efficiency;
- Leading support in briefing, training and supervision of programme staff at different levels and locations regarding all aspects of the job. Ensures adherence to procedures and work requirements and accuracy and diligence of the work provided.
- Advises and coordinates with the FAO Programme Coordinator, liaises with the PMU and the MoEWA to ensure the flow of cooperation and coordination in the planning, implementation, and monitoring of progress of the project component in accordance with the project document;
- Works in close collaboration with and ensures timely and full coordination with the 'Project Focal Points' to facilitate the implementation of the Project, prepares periodical reports, for organization of the Regional Steering Committee meetings, and acts as reporter in during the meetings, and ensures timely preparation of the Committee minutes and their distribution;
- Assists the comprehensive review of coffee Arabica production, processing and marketing and the organization of diagnostic studies to give directions to the sustainable development of the sector;
- Contributes to the identification and promotion of sustainable good agricultural practices and efficient fertilization, pruning and harvesting practices among coffee Arabica growers;
- Provides technical support to preparation of catalogue of major coffee diseases, pests and weed in the target regions, develops and implements an integrated pesticide management (IPM) programme for prevention and control of coffee pests and diseases to ensure access of coffee growers to pests and disease control services;
- Ensures the provision of technical support and pilot testing of sound irrigation systems and small rain water harvesting structures and technologies in selected areas; facilitates the development and adoption of improved post-harvest interventions covering all aspects of the coffee production value chain;
- Provides leading support in the establishment of coffee seed orchards, production of healthy seeds, develops and operates modern coffee nurseries , identifies, produces, distributes and promotes healthy, drought and pest resistance high yielding coffee varieties seedlings;
- Provides leadership and technical support for the establishment of coffee model demonstration farm to pilot-test and promotes best cultural and agronomic practices among small farmers;
- Contributes to the preparation and dissemination of various written project component outputs, e.g. background papers, sector reviews, technical reports, progress and terminal reports and sections of reports and studies, manuals, guidelines and checklists and knowledge products;
- Coordinates with SRAD National Project Coordinator and national stakeholders to ensure close working relations with MoEWA branches and other organisations, local authorities and institutions, to ensure timely conduct of country activities, including contractual arrangements, and inform the CTA of problems and obstacles that need attention and specific assistance;
- Provides support in the design and organization of social, qualitative and quantitative studies including but not limited to gender mainstreaming, productive family issues, entrepreneurship, internal migration and with respect to rural people and youth participation and opinion considerations;
- Ensures that SRADP investment and support components including the provision of equipment, construction water harvesting, nurseries, vet clinics, extension centers and others include fishing and marketing facilities are timely completed.
CANDIDATES WILL BE ASSESSED AGAINST THE FOLLOWING
- National of the Kingdom of Saudi Arabia;
- Advanced University degree in plant production/breeding, agronomy or any other related field;
- Seven years of relevant experience in coffee plantation and development and implementation and/or project management in the field of sustainable rural agricultural development;
- Working knowledge (Level C) of Arabic and limited knowledge (Level B) of English.
- Results Focus
- Building Effective Relationships
- Knowledge Sharing and Continuous Improvement
- Work experience in more than one location or area of work, particularly in field positions is desirable;
- Extent and relevance of experience in coffee agronomy, coffee plantations and management;
- Demonstrated understanding of the purpose and functions of the technical programme, operational guidelines and project/programme management procedures, preferably those adopted by the United Nations or FAO;
- Extent and relevance of experience in the field of policy analysis relating to food and nutrition security, agriculture and rural development;
- Extent and relevance of experience in the collection of country data on food, crops, livestock, forestry and fisheries;
- Extent and relevance of experience in the identification, formulation and preparation of programme and project proposals as well as programme/project implementation, monitoring and review;
- Extent and relevance of experience in Saudi Arabia is considered a strong asset.