Data Quality Team Manager
The Data Quality Team Manager leads a team of Analysts and Associates in ensuring Laterite’s research projects deliver useful and high-quality data for our clients and partners. The Manager ensures that research instruments and data collection, monitoring, and cleaning activities are well-structured and efficient and implements quality control processes to identify and eliminate error or fraud.
Laterite is looking for a colleague who values mentoring and has the leadership experience to manage a team of four Data Quality Analyst and Associates. In addition, we are looking for someone with experience designing and implementing tools and process for collecting, monitoring, and analyzing primary data for research projects.
Laterite is a data, research, and technical advisory firm that helps clients understand and analyze complex development challenges. We provide three types of services:
- Data: comprehensive data collection and data processing solutions
- Research: from the design of large-scale research projects through to analysis
- Advisory: strategic and technical research advice
Laterite works with universities, global think tanks, international NGOs, multilateral donor organizations, and government ministries and agencies.
Our core activity sectors are: public health, agriculture, urbanization & migration, education, and youth & labor. We are also involved in projects with a focus on gender issues.
We believe that impact is a long-term endeavor that requires being embedded in the local context. Delivering high-quality research requires building local teams and data collection systems, understanding the context, establishing close working relationships with key players, and understanding their constraints and motivations.
Laterite’s growing network of offices currently includes Rwanda, Ethiopia, Kenya, Uganda and the Netherlands. Our teams bring together more than 60 full time local and international staff in a dynamic and nurturing work environment. We are proud to be a culturally diverse organization. Learn more: www.laterite.com
Job Description & Key Responsibilities
The key responsibilities of the Data Quality Team Manager (based in Kigali, Rwanda) are:
- Manage the day-to-day task allocation and project assignments of the Data Quality Team,
- Oversee the quality of work produced by the Data Quality Team, which includes survey coding, data auditing, dataset cleaning and manipulation, and analysis.
- Contribute to systems, tools and processes to improve data quality control and monitoring at all stages of the research process and ensure best practices are implemented.
- Uphold standards for data security in compliance with regulations.
- Lead engagement with clients and partners for complex data collection projects to understand data needs so that we help our clients get the evidence they need to make informed decisions.
- Contribute to country-level strategic decisions such as the types of projects to pursue, how to develop the team, and how to increase the impact of our research in Rwanda.
- As part of Laterite's management team, you will have a voice in project selection, operations, and process improvements. You will serve as a mentor for the team, actively promote our corporate culture, and help us as an organization to achieve our mission.
Experience working with primary survey data for research and experience managing a team is required. Proficiency in STATA is a must-have and excellent skills in R and/or Python are a strong plus. Additionally:
- You have a bachelor’s degree in Computer Science, Statistics, Economics, or a field related to quantitative research.
- You have at least 3 years of professional experience relevant to this role.
- You have experience working with clients and managing direct reports.
- You have solid project management skills to oversee a portfolio of projects at different stages in the research lifecycle.
- You can quickly identify data quality or data security issues and propose solutions.
- You have excellent interpersonal skills and you are self-motivated; you can flourish in a fast-paced environment, where timelines can be unpredictable.
- You have excellent written and oral communication skills (in English).
- You are willing to develop your professional skills, lead the growth of an organization dedicated to social and economic development, and thrive in an innovative and collaborative organization.
- You are passionate about social and economic research in Sub-Saharan Africa.
We invite you to submit your CV and complete our application form with more information about yourself and your career. At the end of this application you will be sent a link to a 30-minute quantitative assessment. The assessment must be completed within one week of submitting your application.
We will contact successful applicants to discuss next steps. Applications are reviewed on a rolling basis, so we encourage you to apply ASAP.