Research Associate – Soil
The Borlaug Institute for South Asia (BISA) is a non-profit international research institute dedicated to food, nutrition and livelihood security as well as environmental rehabilitation in South Asia, which is home to more than 300 million undernourished people. BISA is a collaborative effort involving CIMMYT and the Indian Council for Agricultural Research (ICAR). Please refer to the website for more information: www.bisa.org and www.cimmyt.org
We are seeking dynamic, innovative and self-motivated professional for the position of Research Associate-Soil. This will be a Locally Recruited Position for CIMMYT-BISA.
The position will be based in Ludhiana, India.
The main responsibilities of this position will be:
- Under the guidance of senior CIMMYT/BISA staff, execute and manage agronomic research trials on nutrient/water management, genotype x management in conservation agriculture based systems
- Under the guidance of senior CIMMYT/BISA staff execute and manage on-farm trials and organize field days on residue management in different villages of Punjab.
- Under the guidance and in collaboration with senior CIMMYT/BISA staff, develop standard experimental protocols to collect, manage and synthesize data bases on the agronomic, soil, physiological and production economics across the on-station strategic research and on- farm participatory trials related to conservation agriculture.
- Handle, operate and maintain scientific instrumentation related to agronomic, soil and physiological activities in field and lab. Collect and manage primary and secondary data on crops and cropping systems and long–term weather.
- Write scientific reports, technical manuals and scientific publications
- Assist in capacity development programs related to crop residue management.
- Supervise the technical field staff to execute the project activities swiftly.
- Participate in various meetings representing CIMMYT/BISA in various fora at local as well as national level.
- Any other activity assigned by supervisor.
We are seeking candidates with the following qualification, skills and attitudes:
- Masters (MSc) degree in Agronomy/ Soil Science with two years field oriented research experience or Doctoral Degree (PhD) in Agronomy/ Soil Science with experience on Conservation Agriculture/Sustainable Intensification.
- Very good understanding of predominant cropping systems in India especially western IGP with good knowledge and practical working experience in innovative cropping system management practices such as Conservation Agriculture & precision input (water, nutrient) management practices.
- Good exposure and skills of operating and managing CA based machinery.
- Ability to manage, statistically analysis and synthesize scientific data and translate research results in peer reviewed publications.
- Proficiency in English and Punjabi language.
- Ability to work in multi-cultural environments and in multidisciplinary teams.
- Willingness to spend considerable time away from home.
The position is for an initial fixed-term contract of 1 year, after which further employment is subject to performance and the continued availability of funds. BISA offers an attractive remuneration package, with a range of benefits including health insurance.
Email cover letter and CV as a single document with last drawn salary, salary expectations and notice period no later than Monday, May 25, 2020 to Human Resources, CIMMYT / BISA
(Email: email@example.com / Please insert Position Reference number: IN20141 in the subject of your email).
Please note that only short-listed candidates will be contacted.
Women candidates are encouraged to apply
CIMMYT-BISA is an equal-opportunity employer and strives for staff diversity in gender and nationality.