Public Health Officer
Minimum age: 25 years old. Nationals of the country of assignment are not eligible, except the assignments in Headquarters duty stations.Description of task
Within the delegated authority and under the supervision of WHO Country Representative or his/her designated mandated representative(s), the Public Health Officer will:
- Contribute to the reduction of morbidity and mortality due to infectious diseases, particularly the ongoing Hepatitis E Virus (HEV) and drought/flood-related health events, including severe acute Malnutrition (SAM).
- Strengthen advocacy and coordination of response interventions at both national and subnational levels
- Support technical meetings, seminars, high level WHO events and activities on IHR 2005; operational readiness; integrated disease surveillance and response (IDSR); including cross-border collaboration; country emergency preparedness and humanitarian response plans, in the context of One-Health approach.
- Support effective implementation of response interventions for infectious disease and SAM in affected (selected) regions, through support supervision, monitoring and evaluation activities; compilation of reports; and ensure that obtained epidemiological data is accurate, cleared and timely feedback provided to relevant stakeholders.
- Support the Public Health Operations Centre (PHEOC) of the MoHSS in matters related to data management – including epidemiological data cleaning, generation, utilization and timely sharing, including risk communication and community engagement.
- Provide technical guidance, SOPs and outbreak and appropriate emergency related interventions that may be required by the MoHSS and the Namibian government.
- Any other related tasks as may be required or assigned by the supervisor.
Advanced higher degree (Master’s or equivalent) in a Public Health or area related to Health/Medicine; a first-level university degree or equivalent in combination with relevant training and/or professional experience may be accepted in lieu of an advanced university degreeRequired experience: 48 Months Experience remark:
At least 4 years of professional work experience at the national and/or international level in epidemiology, or public health, or other relevant programmes; experience with health emergencies is an asset, as is experience working in the UN or other international development organizationLanguage skills:
- English(Mandatory), Level - Fluent
- Japanese(Mandatory), Level - Fluent
- The assignment is opened for Japanese nationals only
- At least 4 years of professional work experience at the national and/or international level in epidemiology, or public health, or other relevant programmes; experience with health emergencies is an asset, as is experience working in the UN or other international development organization
- Excellent oral and written skills; excellent drafting, formulation, reporting skills;
- Accuracy and professionalism in document production and editing;
- Excellent interpersonal skills; culturally and socially sensitive; ability to work inclusively and collaboratively with a range of partners, including grassroots community members, religious and youth organizations, and authorities at different levels; familiarity with tools and approaches of communications for development;
- Ability to work and adapt professionally and effectively in a challenging environment; ability to work effectively in a multicultural team of international and national personnel;
- Solid overall computer literacy, including proficiency in various MS Office applications (Excel, Word, etc.) and email/internet; familiarity with database management; and office technology equipment;
- Self-motivated, ability to work with minimum supervision; ability to work with tight deadlines
Adaptability and Flexibility, Commitment to Continuous Learning, Communication, Integrity, Planning and Organizing, Professionalism, Working in TeamsApplication procedure:
* Not yet registered in the UNV Talent Pool?
Please first register your profile at https://vmam.unv.org/candidate/signup. Important: After creating your account, complete all sections of your profile and submit it. Then go to ‘My Page’ at https://vmam.unv.org/candidate/mypage and click on the ‘Special Calls’ hyperlink. Lastly, select the special call to which you would like to apply.
* Already registered in the UNV Talent Pool?
Please first update your profile at https://vmam.unv.org/candidate/profile. Then go to ‘My Page’ at https://vmam.unv.org/candidate/mypage and click on the ‘Special Calls’ hyperlink to select the special call to which you would like to apply.
Application deadline: 29-05-2020