Background Information - UNOPS
UNOPS is an operational arm of the United Nations, supporting the successful implementation of its partners’ peacebuilding, humanitarian and development projects around the world. Our mission is to help people build better lives and countries achieve sustainable development.
UNOPS areas of expertise cover infrastructure, procurement, project management, financial management and human resources.
Working with us
UNOPS offers short- and long-term work opportunities in diverse and challenging environments across the globe. We are looking for creative, results-focused professionals with skills in a range of disciplines.
With over 4,000 UNOPS personnel and approximately 7,000 personnel recruited on behalf of UNOPS partners spread across 80 countries, our workforce represents a wide range of nationalities and cultures. We promote a balanced, diverse workforce — a strength that helps us better understand and address our partners’ needs, and continually strive to improve our gender balance through initiatives and policies that encourage recruitment of qualified female candidates.
Work life harmonization
UNOPS values its people and recognizes the importance of balancing professional and personal demands.
Background Information - Afghanistan
UNOPS strategy for Afghanistan is aimed at providing maximum support to the Government and people of Afghanistan though the delivery of projects and services in line with the government’s own priorities. The UNOPS Afghanistan has been established as an organizational mechanism to deliver a range of projects for which UNOPS has been designated as the implementation agency. At present, UNOPS AFGHANISTAN is implementing a number of projects in a range of sectors including infrastructure (roads and schools) development, capacity building to various ministries, and environmental protection, among others, on behalf of the Government of Afghanistan and the donor community.
The functional objective of UNOPS Afghanistan is to deliver projects in an efficient and effective manner, to achieve the development outcomes sought by the Government of Afghanistan and the donor community, where capacity building is always considered and encouraged. The aim of UNOPS Afghanistan is to provide implementation services to the Government of Afghanistan, the donor community and partner agencies in the reconstruction and development of the country. In doing so, UNOPS aims to exceed client expectations in the delivery of quality services throughout the country.
In order to ensure sound projects and financial management of bilaterally funded projects in AFOC, and support the development of further projects in the portfolio, UNOPS is seeking qualified candidates for the position of Programme Manager, RSHQ.
Established in 2015, Resolute Support (RS) is a NATO-led, non-combat mission with a mandate to train, advise and assist the Afghan National Defence and Security Forces (ANDSF), who assumed nationwide responsibility for Afghanistan’s security following the conclusion of the previous NATO-led International Security Assistance Force (ISAF) mission.
The purpose of RSHQ is to help the Afghan security forces and institutions develop the capacity to protect its citizens in a sustainable manner and to manage/improve security enhancements with Kabul city. The purpose of the UNOPS/RSHQ engagement is to support NATO for both the ANA Trust Fund and Kabul Security Force funding streams; for procurement of goods and services, contract management, maintenance of equipment(s), physical security enhancements, construction projects and construction work packages, as well as coordination and facilitation of RSHQ operations, programs and activities (non-kinetic only).
The UNOPS/RSHQ engagement is a complex and challenging programme which is set to expand significantly during 2020 and beyond.
Purpose and Scope of Assignment
Under the overall supervision of the Partnerships Specialist, and as a sub-set of the AFOC Project Development Unit (PDU), the incumbent will be responsible for the following duties focusing mainly on the RSHQ programme:
● Support in identifying funding/partnership opportunities within governments, UN agencies, bilateral and multilateral organizations, non-governmental organizations, foundations and the private sector.
● In conjunction with the Partnerships Specialist, develop expression of interests, concept notes and proposals for potential new projects and prepare budgets and costing for all new project proposals.
● Upload and maintain all files in the OneUNOPS system.
● Support in liaising with relevant HQ units and Afghanistan Country Office functional units to ensure all UNOPS internal controls are processes are adhered to.
● Support in the coordination and participate in meetings with donors and partners and produce high quality meeting minutes and action-oriented summaries.
● Conduct country specific research and analysis on donor and partners focus areas, funding cycles, processes and identify opportunities for Afghanistan Country Office project development.
● Support the Partnership Specialist and RSHQ Project Managers in revisions of budgets, legal agreements, project scope and timelines as and when needed and in accordance with UNOPS internal controls and processes. Publication and sharing of information and knowledge with colleagues, clients and partners. Preparation of briefing materials as required for mission travel and/or discussion on project activities.
● Monitoring and Progress Controls.
● Develop project proposals and budgets through engagement with the Partnerships Specialist.
● Support the Partnerships Specialist and AFOC PDU, in his/her engagements with potential partners.
● Update and maintain the tracking sheet and provide data on the Business Acquisition pipeline.Maintain up-to-date repository of all donors, funding cycles and engagement modalities.
● Secondary education required, Diploma or First university degree preferable in one or more of the following disciplines: international affairs, business administration, social sciences, economics, environmental studies, development studies or another field relevant to international development assistance is desirable.
● 6 years of progressively responsible, job related experience in working in the field.
● Experience in project support work, direct experience in managing service delivery and working directly with clients.
● Experience from UNOPS or other UN agencies an asset.
● Must have experience in professional proposal writing.
Fluency (oral and written) in English is essential.
|Develops and implements sustainable business strategies, thinks long term and externally in order to positively shape the organization. Anticipates and perceives the impact and implications of future decisions and activities on other parts of the organization.(for levels IICA-2, IICA-3, LICA Specialist- 10, LICA Specialist-11, NOC, NOD, P3, P4 and above)|
|Treats all individuals with respect; responds sensitively to differences and encourages others to do the same. Upholds organizational and ethical norms. Maintains high standards of trustworthiness. Role model for diversity and inclusion. |
|Acts as a positive role model contributing to the team spirit. Collaborates and supports the development of others. For people managers only: Acts as positive leadership role model, motivates, directs and inspires others to succeed, utilizing appropriate leadership styles.|
|Demonstrates understanding of the impact of own role on all partners and always puts the end beneficiary first. Builds and maintains strong external relationships and is a competent partner for others (if relevant to the role).|
|Efficiently establishes an appropriate course of action for self and/or others to accomplish a goal. Actions lead to total task accomplishment through concern for quality in all areas. Sees opportunities and takes the initiative to act on them. Understands that responsible use of resources maximizes our impact on our beneficiaries.|
|Open to change and flexible in a fast paced environment. Effectively adapts own approach to suit changing circumstances or requirements. Reflects on experiences and modifies own behavior. Performance is consistent, even under pressure. Always pursues continuous improvements.|
|Evaluates data and courses of action to reach logical, pragmatic decisions. Takes an unbiased, rational approach with calculated risks. Applies innovation and creativity to problem-solving.|
|Expresses ideas or facts in a clear, concise and open manner. Communication indicates a consideration for the feelings and needs of others. Actively listens and proactively shares knowledge. Handles conflict effectively, by overcoming differences of opinion and finding common ground.|
Contract type, level and duration
Contract type: Local ICA Contract level: LICA-6
Contract duration: Ongoing ICA - Open-ended, subject to organizational requirements, availability of funds and satisfactory performance
For more details about the ICA contractual modality, please follow this link:
- Please note that the closing date is midnight Copenhagen time
- Applications received after the closing date will not be considered.
- Only those candidates that are short-listed for interviews will be notified.
- Qualified female candidates are strongly encouraged to apply.
- UNOPS seeks to reasonably accommodate candidates with special needs, upon request.
- Work life harmonization - UNOPS values its people and recognizes the importance of balancing professional and personal demands. We have a progressive policy on work-life harmonization and offer several flexible working options. This policy applies to UNOPS personnel on all contract types
- For staff positions only, UNOPS reserves the right to appoint a candidate at a lower level than the advertised level of the post
- The incumbent is responsible to abide by security policies, administrative instructions, plans and procedures of the UN Security Management System and that of UNOPS.
It is the policy of UNOPS to conduct background checks on all potential recruits/interns. Recruitment/internship in UNOPS is contingent on the results of such checks.