Background Information - UNOPS
UNOPS is an operational arm of the United Nations, supporting the successful implementation of its partners’ peacebuilding, humanitarian and development projects around the world. Our mission is to help people build better lives and countries achieve sustainable development.
UNOPS areas of expertise cover infrastructure, procurement, project management, financial management and human resources.
Working with us
UNOPS offers short- and long-term work opportunities in diverse and challenging environments across the globe. We are looking for creative, results-focused professionals with skills in a range of disciplines.
With over 4,000 UNOPS personnel and approximately 7,000 personnel recruited on behalf of UNOPS partners spread across 80 countries, our workforce represents a wide range of nationalities and cultures. We promote a balanced, diverse workforce — a strength that helps us better understand and address our partners’ needs, and continually strive to improve our gender balance through initiatives and policies that encourage recruitment of qualified female candidates.
Work life harmonization
UNOPS values its people and recognizes the importance of balancing professional and personal demands.
Background Information - Afghanistan
UNOPS strategy for Afghanistan is aimed at providing maximum support to the Government and people of Afghanistan though the delivery of projects and services in line with the government’s own priorities. The UNOPS Afghanistan has been established as an organizational mechanism to deliver a range of projects for which UNOPS has been designated as the implementation agency. At present, UNOPS AFGHANISTAN is implementing a number of projects in a range of sectors including infrastructure (roads and schools) development, capacity building to various ministries, and environmental protection, among others, on behalf of the Government of Afghanistan and the donor community.
The functional objective of UNOPS Afghanistan is to deliver projects in an efficient and effective manner, to achieve the development outcomes sought by the Government of Afghanistan and the donor community, where capacity building is always considered and encouraged. The aim of UNOPS Afghanistan is to provide implementation services to the Government of Afghanistan, the donor community and partner agencies in the reconstruction and development of the country. In doing so, UNOPS aims to exceed client expectations in the delivery of quality services throughout the country.
In order to ensure sound projects and financial management of bilaterally funded projects in AFOC, and support the development of further projects in the portfolio, UNOPS is seeking qualified candidates for the position of Programme Manager, RSHQ.
Established in 2015, Resolute Support (RS) is a NATO-led, non-combat mission with a mandate to train, advise and assist the Afghan National Defence and Security Forces (ANDSF), who assumed nationwide responsibility for Afghanistan’s security following the conclusion of the previous NATO-led International Security Assistance Force (ISAF) mission.
The purpose of RSHQ is to help the Afghan security forces and institutions develop the capacity to protect its citizens in a sustainable manner and to manage/improve security enhancements with Kabul city. The purpose of the UNOPS/RSHQ engagement is to support NATO for both the ANA Trust Fund and Kabul Security Force funding streams; for procurement of goods and services, contract management, maintenance of equipment(s), physical security enhancements, construction projects and construction work packages, as well as coordination and facilitation of RSHQ operations, programs and activities (non-kinetic only).
The UNOPS/RSHQ engagement is a complex and challenging programme which is set to expand significantly during 2020 and beyond.
Purpose and Scope of Assignment
The Quality Engineer reports to the Lead Quality Engineer and is a sub-set of AFOC QA/QC unit. The Quality Engineer is responsible to assist in the management of the QA/QC plans, strategies, and reports for the RSHQ program. He/she will be expected to perform the following duties and responsibilities, but not limited to:
● Guide and advise in the drafting and development of the RSHQ’s Quality Management Strategy and QA/QC Plan which should be aligned with the requirements of the AFOC QA/QC unit.
● Provide advice and guidance regarding RSHQ project QA/QC plans and protocols for construction, construction equipment and materials.
● Guide and assist in the establishment of quality procedures including time limits for inspection, sampling and testing of works and materials.
● Recommend specific quality standards and construction schedules, which are appropriate to all levels of RSHQ construction projects.
● Responsible for the timely completion of various QA/QC activities according to approved work plans, specified quality standards and development needs.
● Control and appraise work progress, review contractors’ work plans and provide recommendations to the RSHQ Project Managers on ways to overcome issues, challenges and needs.
● Conduct quality control reviews and prepare related reports for design and construction of works as required and facilitate the compilation of inputs for monitoring and evaluation.
● Provide technical input and assist the Procurement unit with all contractual matters for the completion of the respective contracts.
● Monitor the implementation of the works by conducting site visits and provide guidance for improvement and good results.
● Review all standards to be used during laboratory tests, QA/QC testing schedules and procedures.
● Review contractor practices and conventional methodologies and make recommendations where remedial action is required.
● Check accuracy of outputs produced in compliance with established quality standards.
● Recommend assistance to contractors to ensure that the most economical and appropriate quality materials and methods are utilized.
● Recommend solutions to quality issues and identify where improvements or rectification is warranted.
Monitoring and Progress Controls
● Establishment of procedures with time limits for inspection, sampling and testing of works and all other QC/QA requirements under the RSHQ program.
● Implementation and monitoring of quality assessments.Monthly/weekly QA/QC report to the Lead Quality Engineer and/or RSHQ Project Managers on project QA/QC activities.
● Bachelor’s Degree in Engineering, preferably in civil engineering, construction or a related field.
● Professional certificate in a relevant field desirable.
● Fluency in English (reading, writing, speaking) is required
|Develops and implements sustainable business strategies, thinks long term and externally in order to positively shape the organization. Anticipates and perceives the impact and implications of future decisions and activities on other parts of the organization.(for levels IICA-2, IICA-3, LICA Specialist- 10, LICA Specialist-11, NOC, NOD, P3, P4 and above)|
|Treats all individuals with respect; responds sensitively to differences and encourages others to do the same. Upholds organizational and ethical norms. Maintains high standards of trustworthiness. Role model for diversity and inclusion. |
|Acts as a positive role model contributing to the team spirit. Collaborates and supports the development of others. For people managers only: Acts as positive leadership role model, motivates, directs and inspires others to succeed, utilizing appropriate leadership styles.|
|Demonstrates understanding of the impact of own role on all partners and always puts the end beneficiary first. Builds and maintains strong external relationships and is a competent partner for others (if relevant to the role).|
|Efficiently establishes an appropriate course of action for self and/or others to accomplish a goal. Actions lead to total task accomplishment through concern for quality in all areas. Sees opportunities and takes the initiative to act on them. Understands that responsible use of resources maximizes our impact on our beneficiaries.|
|Open to change and flexible in a fast paced environment. Effectively adapts own approach to suit changing circumstances or requirements. Reflects on experiences and modifies own behavior. Performance is consistent, even under pressure. Always pursues continuous improvements.|
|Evaluates data and courses of action to reach logical, pragmatic decisions. Takes an unbiased, rational approach with calculated risks. Applies innovation and creativity to problem-solving.|
|Expresses ideas or facts in a clear, concise and open manner. Communication indicates a consideration for the feelings and needs of others. Actively listens and proactively shares knowledge. Handles conflict effectively, by overcoming differences of opinion and finding common ground.|
Contract type, level and duration
Contract type: Local ICA Contract level: LICA-9
Contract duration: Ongoing ICA - Open-ended, subject to organizational requirements, availability of funds and satisfactory performance
For more details about the ICA contractual modality, please follow this link:
- Please note that the closing date is midnight Copenhagen time
- Applications received after the closing date will not be considered.
- Only those candidates that are short-listed for interviews will be notified.
- Qualified female candidates are strongly encouraged to apply.
- UNOPS seeks to reasonably accommodate candidates with special needs, upon request.
- Work life harmonization - UNOPS values its people and recognizes the importance of balancing professional and personal demands. We have a progressive policy on work-life harmonization and offer several flexible working options. This policy applies to UNOPS personnel on all contract types
- For staff positions only, UNOPS reserves the right to appoint a candidate at a lower level than the advertised level of the post
- The incumbent is responsible to abide by security policies, administrative instructions, plans and procedures of the UN Security Management System and that of UNOPS.
It is the policy of UNOPS to conduct background checks on all potential recruits/interns. Recruitment/internship in UNOPS is contingent on the results of such checks.