French Translator (Intern), Multiple positions
Background Information - UNOPS
UNOPS is an operational arm of the United Nations, supporting the successful implementation of its partners’ peacebuilding, humanitarian and development projects around the world. Our mission is to help people build better lives and countries achieve sustainable development.
UNOPS areas of expertise cover infrastructure, procurement, project management, financial management and human resources.
Working with us
UNOPS offers short- and long-term work opportunities in diverse and challenging environments across the globe. We are looking for creative, results-focused professionals with skills in a range of disciplines.
With over 4,000 UNOPS personnel and approximately 7,000 personnel recruited on behalf of UNOPS partners spread across 80 countries, our workforce represents a wide range of nationalities and cultures. We promote a balanced, diverse workforce — a strength that helps us better understand and address our partners’ needs, and continually strive to improve our gender balance through initiatives and policies that encourage recruitment of qualified female candidates.
Work life harmonization
UNOPS values its people and recognizes the importance of balancing professional and personal demands.
Background Information - Job-specific
The French Translator intern will work in the Communications Group under the direct supervision of the French Translator/Reviser and the overall direction of the Translation Coordinator.
The Communications Group is responsible for producing and disseminating information about UNOPS for external audiences, as well as facilitating the flow of information within the organization, ensuring efficient service delivery and broad sharing of knowledge and best practices.
The incumbent is responsible to abide by security policies, administrative instructions, plans and procedures of the UN Security Management System and that of UNOPS.
The incumbent will assist in translating internal and external documents for print and the web, primarily from English into French. Specific responsibilities include, but are not limited to:
Liaising with French language colleagues around the world and translating a wide variety of internal and external documents, ensuring that all deadlines are met
Liaising with colleagues who have translation needs, organizing one’s own translation work, ensuring good quality translation
Assisting in the tasks of the Communications Group, such as creating content for social media channels and video subtitling in French
Familiarizing oneself with the organization’s structure and the team’s processes
Perform other related duties as required
|Treats all individuals with respect; responds sensitively to differences and encourages others to do the same. Upholds organizational and ethical norms. Maintains high standards of trustworthiness. Role model for diversity and inclusion. |
|Acts as a positive role model contributing to the team spirit. Collaborates and supports the development of others.|
|Demonstrates understanding of the impact of own role on all partners and always puts the end beneficiary first. Builds and maintains strong external relationships and is a competent partner for others (if relevant to the role).|
|Efficiently establishes an appropriate course of action for self and/or others to accomplish a goal. Actions lead to total task accomplishment through concern for quality in all areas. Sees opportunities and takes the initiative to act on them. Understands that responsible use of resources maximizes our impact on our beneficiaries.|
|Open to change and flexible in a fast paced environment. Effectively adapts own approach to suit changing circumstances or requirements. Reflects on experiences and modifies own behavior. Performance is consistent, even under pressure. Always pursues continuous improvements.|
|Evaluates data and courses of action to reach logical, pragmatic decisions. Takes an unbiased, rational approach with calculated risks. Applies innovation and creativity to problem-solving.|
|Expresses ideas or facts in a clear, concise and open manner. Communication indicates a consideration for the feelings and needs of others. Actively listens and proactively shares knowledge. Handles conflict effectively, by overcoming differences of opinion and finding common ground.|
Experience in translation, proofreading, revision. Experience working with different CAT tools is an asset.
Experience with Google Suite is an asset.
Native-level speaker of French.
Knowledge of Spanish is an asset.
- Please note that the closing date is midnight Copenhagen time
- Applications received after the closing date will not be considered.
- Only those candidates that are short-listed for interviews will be notified.
- Qualified female candidates are strongly encouraged to apply.
- UNOPS seeks to reasonably accommodate candidates with special needs, upon request.
- Work life harmonization - UNOPS values its people and recognizes the importance of balancing professional and personal demands. We have a progressive policy on work-life harmonization and offer several flexible working options. This policy applies to UNOPS personnel on all contract types
- For staff positions only, UNOPS reserves the right to appoint a candidate at a lower level than the advertised level of the post
- The incumbent is responsible to abide by security policies, administrative instructions, plans and procedures of the UN Security Management System and that of UNOPS.
It is the policy of UNOPS to conduct background checks on all potential recruits/interns. Recruitment/internship in UNOPS is contingent on the results of such checks.
- Interns are responsible for arranging their own travel and securing any necessary visas.
- Flexible working schedules may be arranged.
- This internship is not designed to lead to a staff position with UNOPS. Therefore, there should be no expectation of employment at the end of the internship.
- Interns may be eligible for a monthly stipend of 1100 USD per month from UNOPS provided that they do not receive funds from other institutions. Further, UNOPS may provide a one-time travel lumpsum of up to 800 USD, depending on their location at the time of recruitment. However, they must make their own arrangements for accommodation, travel, insurance coverage and any necessary visas.
Contract type, level and duration
Contract type: Intern Contract level: Intern
Contract duration: 6 months (August 2020 - January 2021 / February 2021 - July 2021)