CHIEF TECHNICAL ADVISOR (NATIONAL)
Air pollution is a major cause of premature death and disease and is the single largest environmental health risk in Europe, causing around 400,000 premature deaths per year. The report released in June 2019 by the U.N. Environment Program and prepared in cooperation with the World Health Organization confirms that the population in the western Balkans is exposed to some of the highest concentrations of air pollution in Europe, up to five times higher than the national and the EU guideline levels. Moreover, the three cities – Skopje, Bitola, and Tetovo – were ranked in 2017 as among the top ten most-polluted in Europe with conditions worsening tangibly and measurably in over the past five years.
The project aims to demonstrate a multi-pronged intervention to tackle air pollution in the City of Skopje linked to the residential sector. Its objective is to establish a fully functional platform that brings all traditional and non-traditional partners to work together to address the issue.
The project has four main components: Component 1: Develop a comprehensive monitoring system for the pilot area, and a coordination platform to tackle air pollution; Component 2: Implement regulatory changes necessary to transitions towards a lower emission household energy system; Component 3: Demonstration of measures that address the causes of pollution for household heating, and Component 4: Build public awareness.
The project shall enhance the coordination among all the responsible actors to ensure a “whole of government” and “whole of society” response to the air pollution challenge. The Ministry of Environment and Physical Planning and the City of Skopje will be the main project partners and beneficiaries, but the project shall peruse the involvement of all relevant stakeholders who can contribute to mitigate the problem. The mobilizing capacity of academia and civil society organizations shall also be tapped to devise solutions and help change public behaviours.
The project shall support the advancement of the country’s EU accession agenda and is aligned to and will use where possible locally owned systems to develop sustainable outcomes with a strong local ownership. At the same time, the project will facilitate the access to knowledge and experience from EU member states and advanced economies worldwide.
Duties and Responsibilities
Objective of the Assignment
The Chief Technical Advisor is expected to provide technical support to the project team and partners as needed. S/he will communicate regularly with the relevant stakeholders and beneficiaries, provide advice as needed, and facilitate their involvement in the relevant activities. S/he will be expected to support the reporting and evaluation of implementation of the project activities.
Scope of Work
- Provide guidance and expert advice to the projects team for applying the key principles of sustainable management of the air quality throughout different project components;
- Provide strategic guidance to the project team in terms of prioritization of measures/funding decisions in line with the funding availability, co-funding opportunities, cost effectiveness, scaling-up possibilities, opportunities to demonstrate new concepts and other factors;
- Draft TORs, concept papers, reports and other documents as required;
- Lease with other consultants/teams/evaluators engaged within the project, provide technical advices and strategic guidance in order to ensure the soundness and efficient implementation of project activities;
- Review reports and other written documents prepared by consultants engaged by the project provide feedback and recommendations for improvement;
- Support the identification and knowledge transfer of the best Swedish residential low emission and sustainable living practices to raise awareness and increase the knowledge among the key stakeholders;
- Provide capacity development support (deliver trainings/workshops), as needed for the key project beneficiaries that will ensure the sustainability of project results;
- Provide support in updating indicators and preparing inputs for project internal reporting needs as required;
- Provide support for drafting progress reports and the final report;
- Provide guidance and support project team in drafting project concepts for possible follow-up projects in areas of her/his expertise;
- Support promotion of the project results through different professional networks on air quality/air pollution and related (e.g. through sharing lessons leant, supporting publishing efforts, etc.);
- Take part in evaluation of offers/bids submitted by companies and/or individual experts as an external member and/or observer of the evaluation committee;
- Provide on-demand support on any issue of relevance to the project in line with her/his experience and expertise.
Expected outputs and deliverables:
The consultancy is expected to deliver the following outputs:
- Guidance notes, training materials and other documents
- TORs and reports
- Project concepts/Project documents
- Technical support leading to improved delivery of project quarterly reports with description of activities carried out, as per the duties and responsibilities stated above. These reports shall be submitted in English language.
- Other documents/inputs required/described above shall be submitted in Macedonian and English languages.
Terms and conditions
The consultant will work under direct supervision by the Project Manager. The consultant will report to UNDP through the Project Manager.
Duration of the work
The duration of the Consultancy is estimated at maximum 120 working days in the period June 2020 - December 2021.
The payment for the services will be carried out in installments, depending on the number of authorized expert-days and upon certification of successful completion of the assigned working packages. For this purpose, the consultant shall keep records (time sheets) of her/his work on different tasks.
Duty station and travel
The assignment will be home based (in Skopje). If unforeseen travel is requested by UNDP out of Skopje duty station, such travel shall be covered by UNDP in line with applicable rules and regulations and upon prior written agreement.
- Excellent communications and facilitation skills;
- Excellent analytical and negotiation skills;
- Excellent public speaking and presentation skills;
- Demonstrates excellent organizational skills and proven ability to deliver consultancy products within deadlines;
- Ability to synthesize research and draw conclusions on the related subject;
- Demonstrates integrity by modelling the UN’s values and ethical standards;
- Displays cultural, gender, religion, race, nationality and age sensitivity and adaptability.
- Fluency in English and Macedonian, with excellent writing and oral communication skills.
Required Skills and Experience
The selected candidates shall possess:
- University degree in the thematic areas relevant to the assignment (e.g. environmental engineering, mechanical engineering, technological engineering, electrical engineering and related); MSc or higher is an asset.
- Minimum 8 years of professional experience in the fields relevant for the assignment (development of studies, assessments and/or developing and implementation of projects related to air pollution/air quality, energy efficiency and renewables, and related areas);
- Minimum 3 relevant projects (related to air pollution/air quality, energy efficiency, renewables). Relevant international project experience shall be considered as asset;
Criteria for selection of best offer
The award of the contract shall be made to the offeror whose offer has been evaluated and determined as:
a) Being responsive/compliant/acceptable, and
b) Having received the highest score based on the following weight of technical and financial criteria for solicitation as per the schedule below:
* Technical criteria weight: 70%
* Financial criteria weight: 30%
Only candidates obtaining a minimum of 49 points (70%) in the technical evaluation (desk review and interview) shall be considered for the financial evaluation. Only the short-listed candidates will be invited for an interview.
For the considered offers in the financial evaluation only, the lowest price offer will receive 30 points. The other offers will receive points in relation to the lowest offer, based on the following formula: (Pn / Pl) * 30 where Pn is the financial offer being evaluated and Pl is the lowest financial offer received.
Technical and Financial Criteria:
University degree in the thematic areas relevant to the assignment (e.g. environmental engineering, mechanical engineering, technological engineering, electrical engineering and related); MSc or higher is an asset.
BSc = 9 points
MSc = 10 points
PhD = 11 points
Minimum 8 years of professional experience in the fields relevant for the assignment (development of studies, assessments and/or developing and implementation of projects related to air pollution/air quality, energy efficiency and renewables, and related areas);
8 years = 15 points
9-10 years = 16 points
Above 10 years = 17 points
Minimum 3 relevant projects (related to air pollution/air quality, energy efficiency, renewables). Relevant international project experience shall be considered as asset;
3 projects = 21 points
4 – 6 projects = 22 points
Above 7 = 24 points
International project experience = additional 2 points
Knowledge assessed through interview
1. Knowledge of Air Quality and Energy Efficiency related polices
Excellent knowledge = 8 points
Very good knowledge = 5 points
Good knowledge = 2 point
Knowledge assessed through interview
2. Knowledge of Energy Audit methodology/practices
Excellent knowledge = 8 points
Very good knowledge = 5 points
Good knowledge = 2 points
Documents to be submitted
Interested offerors are invited submit the following documents/information to be considered:
- Offeror’s letter, as per the following form LINK
- Most updated CV with focus on required qualification as well as the contact details of at least three (3) professional references;
- Brief description of why the individual considers him/herself as the most suitable for the assignment,
- Financial Proposal The financial proposal must be expressed in the form of an all-inclusive daily fee in MKD (all-inclusive includes the daily expert fee, communications, any other expenses related to this assignment)
1. Click on the "Apply now" button
2. Input your information in the appropriate sections: personal information, language proficiency, education, resume, and motivation (cover letter). You can type in or paste your short Resume into the last box.
3. Upon completion of the first page, please hit "submit application" tab at the end of the page. On the next page, you will be asked to upload other required documents listed in the step 2.
Interested individual consultants must submit the documents/information listed in the “Documents to submit section” above.
The system will allow only one attachment. Therefore, please upload all required documents as one file.
Failing to submit any of these documents may result in disqualification of the application.
Please note that shortlisted candidates will be interviewed.