Pharmacist Assistant - Misrata
Founded in 1933, the International Rescue Committee (IRC) responds to the world’s worst humanitarian crises and helps people to survive and rebuild their lives. The IRC offers lifesaving care and life-changing assistance to refugees forced to flee from war or disaster. At work today in over 40 countries and 22 U.S. cities, we restore safety, dignity and hope to millions who are uprooted and struggling to endure. The IRC leads the way from harm to home.
The IRC is working in Libya since August 2016, targeting the most vulnerable non-displaced, IDPs, refugees and migrants in hard-to-reach areas. According to assessments, healthcare is considered the priority need in Libya, most urgently in terms of quality health staff, medicines and supplies. There are significant gaps in the response, according to Libya’s Ministry of Health (MoH), the Libyan Red Crescent, UN agencies, and international NGOs. IRC’s team in Libya has the specific goal of reaching those in the hardest hit areas to beneficiaries of all ages and gender, both Libyans and third-country nationals. The health activities will be focused on supporting essential primary health care. The reproductive health activities will specifically target women and girls.
Under the supervision of Medical Team Leader, the Pharmacist is responsible for:
• Ensuring un-interrupted delivery of essential supplies/equipment (medical/non-medical) required at the mobile health team.
• Receive prescriptions from doctors, and dispense the medicines to the patients according to the prescriptions
• Notify doctors of incomplete or inaccurate prescriptions
• Instruct advice and educate patients on drug use
• Advise and educate patients of any adverse side-effects of medicines or potential interactions with other medicines/treatments.
• Prepare clear and detailed labels for dispensed drugs written in language that patients can understand
• Receive prescriptions from doctor and verify that required information is on the form before dispense it to the patient.
• Maintain drugs according to instructions and standard procedures.
• Record and compile daily, weekly and monthly consumption data of medicines and send reports to the pharmacist (medical logistician) officer (in charge) on weekly basis.
• Submit drug orders required for mobile team to the medical team leader (in charge) on weekly basis.
• Receive the orders from the IRC warehouse and inspect items, as to quality, quantity, and expiry dates. Provide the pharmacist officer with feedback in case of irregularity.
• Arrange stock by category and in alphabetical order, with the earliest expiring stock at the front of the shelf and the first in first out techniques
• Monitor the pharmacy’s and drug store temperature daily & record it in order to ensure all items are kept at the appropriate temperature.
• Notify the senior medical team leader (in charge) in advance in case of a high consumption that may lead to low stock or stock out
• Ask advice from the doctors in case a drug is prescribed which is not available and/or is not in IRC standard list for Libya operations.
• Monitor the consumption of antibiotics and any other drugs if required by doctors using the monitoring charts and report to the senior health officer (in charge)
• Together with the Medical Team Leader, conduct inventory control of pharmacy on a regular basis
• Follow all safety measures and rules in the pharmacy
The Pharmacist Assistant will not be line managing any internal staff. S/he might supervise and train volunteers to provide healthcare in supported PHC facilities, if needed.
The IRC and IRC workers must adhere to the values and principles outlined in the IRC Way - Standards for Professional Conduct. These are Integrity, Service, and Accountability. In accordance with these values, the IRC operates and enforces policies on Beneficiary Protection from Exploitation and Abuse, Child Safeguarding, Anti Workplace Harassment, Fiscal Integrity, and Anti-Retaliation.
Key Working Relationships:
Position Reports to: Medical Team Leader
Indirect Reporting: Senior medical team leader.
Working Environment:This position will be based out of the IRC field office in Misrata, Libya.