Head of Programme
About the job
Under the supervision of the Country Director, the Head of programme drives strategically and oversees the operational delivery of DRC’s programmes in Mali. S/he reports directly to the Country Director and is a member of the Senior Management Team (SMT).
People Management and internal communication
- Manage, coordinate and coach members of the programme team, ensuring their professional development and capacity building as needed
- Oversee and support capacity building for both expatriate and national staff on technical issues and programme cycle management, based on assessment of the critical programme improvement needs of the Mali mission
- Work in close cooperation with programme and support staff in Mali, and actively seek support, knowledge and coaching as necessary from colleagues in regional office, other regions and HQ
Programme strategy, business development and Grants management
- Develop, disseminate and implement the Mali programme strategy within DRC team
- Ensure an adequate design of the DRC Mali programme department and development of the different sector programmes in line with the Mali programme strategy. Guide Programme teams in the implementation of strategies through collaboration and proactive programme development and implementation
- Supervise and coordinate the drafting of project proposals and budgets, ensuring strong cross-departmental coordination between programme and support teams, including field teams, as well as close liaison and timely consultation with RO/HQ
- Contribute to the development of a fundraising strategy in line with the Mali programme strategy
- Establish strong and efficient partnerships with organisations, donors and authorities, in line with the Mali programme strategy and DRC partnership global policy
- Design, contribute and/or lead assessments for emergency or longer-term programming in existing or new project locations.
Programme quality and accountability
- Oversee and support continuous improvement of programme quality standards, including harmonisation across field bases
- Ensure that DRC values and Code of Conduct are respected and upheld, including through setting a personal example
- Assess and improve DRC Mali’s accountability measures in accordance with DRC’s global Core Humanitarian Standard commitments
- Set up and supervise the MEAL department, ensure that DRC Mali implements high-quality Monitoring, Evaluation, Accountability and Learning (MEAL) across all projects, including that learning is captured, capitalized and used in programme design and implementation
- Support and supervise the grants team in timely submissions of high-quality donor reports.
External relations and representation
- Together with Country Director, ensure adequate (bilateral or multilateral) representation of DRC with government authorities, donors, UN agencies, humanitarian agencies and other partners in regard to programme and participation in coordination meetings as relevant
Experience and technical competencies
- Min. 5 years’ experience overseas in complex humanitarian emergencies and development, preferably with refugees and/or IDPs
- Relevant university degree (Master or Post graduate), in international relations and/or development, political science or similar field
- Min. 3 years’ experience in staff management and development
- Good understanding of displacement issues and related international standards/frameworks
- Strong experience in programme development and proven programme development and fundraising abilities
- Substantial project management experience in NGO, including responsibility for strategy design, staffing, admin/finance management, contract management and donor relations
- Experience of leading strategic programming and planning, implementation, monitoring and learning
- Proven track record of negotiating and advocating with government authorities and donors for solutions that serve the needs of beneficiaries, pursuing values of internationally recognized and universal character in a conflicted-affected or post-conflict context with a strong respect of local culture and traditions
- Ability to manage a multidisciplinary team, large workload and multiple tasks in a fast-paced environment with tight deadlines
- Team player with excellent communication and strong participatory leadership skills
- Excellent written and spoken French and English
- Previous experience in a Central / Western African country
- Previous experience with DRC’s main donors in Mali: ECHO, SDC, FFP, DFID, DANIDA
In this position, you are expected to demonstrate DRC’ five core competencies:
Striving for excellence: You focus on reaching results while ensuring an efficient process.
Collaborating: You involve relevant parties and encourage feedback.
Taking the lead: You take ownership and initiative while aiming for innovation.
Communicating: You listen and speak effectively and honestly.
Demonstrating integrity: You act in line with DRC’s vision and values.
Contract length: 12 months renewable upon funding
Level: Management E
Designation of Duty Station: Unaccompanied position
Start date: 07/20/2020
Salary and conditions will be in accordance with Danish Refugee Council’s Terms of Employment for Expatriates; please refer to drc.ngo under Vacancies.
All applicants must upload a cover letter and an updated CV (no longer than two pages) in English. Applications sent by email will not be considered.
Closing date for applications: 07/05/2020
If you have questions or are facing problems with the online application process, please contact our job support at drc.ngo/jobsupport.
For further information about the Danish Refugee Council, please consult our website drc.ngo.