International Short-Term Expert on the modernisation of the human resources management system
Ukraine (Ukraine) | Kyiv
International Short-Term Expert on the modernisation of the human resources management system (HRM STE) of the State Border Guard Service (SBGS) of Ukraine to support the modernisation and automation of the HRM system of the SBGS in the framework of implementation of the relevant activities of the EU-funded project “EU Support to Strengthening IBM in Ukraine (EU4IBM)” implemented by ICMPD.
The International Centre for Migration Policy Development (ICMPD) is an international organisation tasked with promoting innovative, comprehensive and sustainable migration policies. With 17 Member States and over 60 projects active throughout Europe, Africa, Asia and Latin America, ICMPD is a growing and ever-more relevant presence in its field. The organisation’s greatest assets are its 200+ staff members, who personify its values of commitment, integrity, partnership, respect, and innovation in actions and decisions.
The project “EU Support to Strengthening IBM in Ukraine (EU4IBM)” supports the identification of and assists in addressing the gaps in the implementation of the national reforms approximating the Ukrainian border management system to the standards and best practices of the EU Integrated Border Management (IBM) in line with the national Integrated Border Management Strategy of Ukraine (IBM Strategy, adopted by the Cabinet of Ministers on 24 July 2019) and the Action Plan (IBM AP, adopted on 27 December 2019 by Decree of the Cabinet of Ministers No. 1409-p).
The International HRM STE will be involved into the implementation of a set of selected project activities to provide the advisory and technical support to SBGS in updating of a comprehensive HRM strategy, policies, institutional structures, business process (BPs) and standard operating procedures (SOPs), HRM tools and automation efforts.
The International HRM STE will work in close cooperation with the EU4IBM Project Implementation Team (PIT) and in close collaboration with other Short-Term Experts (STEs) to contribute to the following project activities implementation:
- Business process analysis (BPA);
- Business process re-engineering action plan(s) (BPR AP(s));
- Development, validation and implementation of the concept/ToRs/TSs for HRM integrating the BPA findings, BPR AP(s) measures, applicable good EU practices and the recommendations of the other IBM assessments implemented in Ukraine;
- Implementation of BPR AP(s) in the area of human resources management.
The tasks to be completed by the HRM STE within this assignment are the following:
- Develop and continuously update a work plan to be approved by the PIT.
- In close coordination with PIT and beneficiaries contribute to BPA of HRM related BPs and the development of the BPR recommendations to be integrated into BPR AP(s).
- Conduct the comparative analysis of the good HRM practices applied by EU MSs border management agencies.
- In close coordination with PIT and beneficiaries provide international expertise by identifying and suggesting the most relevant concepts, approaches and methodologies for HRM.
- Contribute to development/update of the SBGS HRM Strategy by integrating the identified good EU and international HRM practices, BPA findings and BPR recommendations.
- Support the development of the Road Map for HRM Strategy implementation.
- Support the review of the current HRM related institutional and regulatory framework (e.g. methodology, internal instructions, SOPs, etc.) with the purpose to update it.
- Support SBGS in the implementation of the HRM Road Map, including i.a. development / improvement of certain HRM tools in support of planning, selection, recruitment, evaluation and promotion of staff in SBGS.
- Support SBGS in the automation of its HRM functions by providing the subject matter input in the process of the HRM IT tools(s) concept(s)/ToRs/TSs development.
- Support SBGS in the review of its remuneration structure, in order to bring it in line with good international practices and create an incentivizing salary structure.
- If requested, support the improvement of HRM related legal framework by proposing and supporting the formulation of the legislative amendments.
- Perform other duties if/as assigned by the PIT.
International HRM STE is expected to provide the following deliverables:
- Work plan for activities approved by and coordinated with the PIT and beneficiaries.
- HRM related contributions to BPA and BPR recommendations integrated into BPR AP(s).
- Comparative analysis of the good HRM practices applied by EU MSs border management agencies.
- Proposals and recommendations on identifying the most relevant concepts, approaches and methodologies for SBGS HRM.
- Provided support to the development/update of the SBGS HRM Strategy, proposals and recommendations on integration of the identified good EU and international HRM practices and the findings and recommendations of the BPA into it. The HRM Strategy will aim at the revision and decentralisation of the HRM institutional structure, delegation of tasks, enhancing the capacity for more transparent and merit based recruitment process, career development, performance appraisal, development and application of financial and non-financial incentives for motivating staff, creating the conditions for improved work-life balance, etc.
- Provided support to the development of the HRM Strategy Road Map for its implementation.
- Proposals and recommendations on updating and revising current SBGS HRM related institutional regulatory framework (e.g. methodology, internal instructions, SOPs, etc.) in line with the updated HRM Strategy and BPA findings.
- Advice, recommendations and support provided for SBGS in the implementation of the HRM Road Map, including i.a. development / improvement of certain HRM tools in support of planning, selection, recruitment, evaluation and promotion of staff in SBGS.
- Contributions provided to the draft concepts/ToRs/TSs of the IT tool(s) to be introduced for the automation of SBGS HRM functions.
- Advice, recommendations and support provided for SBGS to support the review of its remuneration structure, in order to bring it in line with good international practices and create an incentivizing salary structure.
- If requested, support of legal amendments and proposed formulation of the legislative amendments.
- Other duties if/as assigned by the PIT.The draft deliverables must be submitted in English in line with the timeline established at the moment of contracting. If possible, the working versions of the deliverables could be drafted in Ukrainian to allow for smooth participation of the national beneficiary agencies’ experts.
It is expected that during the COVID-19 travel restriction period, the tasks identified above would be conducted in a remote mode (using the vast array of technical means for distance communication, collaborative platforms and regular on-line coordination meetings). Once the travel situation allows, the expert will be expected to travel to Ukraine to continue the delivery of the tasks there.
PIT will support the delivery of the tasks by providing the relevant documents, translation, coordinating with the beneficiary agencies on organisational issues.
During the process, the expert will work with the relevant national and international stakeholders in a collaborative and coordinated manner.
The final deliverables must be submitted no later than 31 December 2020.
International HRM STE reports to Project Officer, EU4IBM and works in a collaborative manner with other international/national experts.
Qualifications and Experience
- Advanced university degree in HRM or related discipline.
- At least 5 years of experience relevant to human resource management, preferably in public service organisations of the EU MS;
- Experience in human resource management in border management or other law enforcement agency of the EU MS is an asset;
- Knowledge of appropriate examples of international and EU good practices related to human resource management;
- Experience in working with similar projects funded by EU or another donor is an asset;
- Knowledge of the EU legal framework related to IBM is an asset;
- Demonstrated ability to manage quality and ensure compliance with the international legal framework in previous projects;
- Must be able to work independently and demonstrate excellent teamwork, coordination and facilitation skills;
- Analytical, research, reporting, communication, documentation and presentation skills;
- Experience working with senior management of border guards/police and customs services is an asset;
- Ability to plan and implement several multi-component and multi-stakeholder activities in parallel;
- Ability to process large volumes of information;
- Ability to take initiative, take responsibility and manage constructive criticism;
- Ability for provision of deliverables and reporting in a timely manner;
- Ability to work under pressure and in rapidly changing circumstances;
- Computer literate with ability to operate Microsoft applications;
- Demonstrated gender awareness and sensitivity, and an ability to integrate a gender perspective into tasks and activities;
- Ability to establish and maintain effective and constructive working relationships with people of different national and cultural backgrounds while maintaining impartiality and objectivity.
- Fluency in English is required
- Good knowledge of Russian/Ukrainian for business communication will be an asset
Support and materials to be provided by ICMPD
- Description of Action of the Project EU Support to Strengthening IBM in Ukraine (EU4IBM).
- IBM Strategy of Ukraine 2020-2025 and its implementation plan 2020-2022.
- Catalogue of SBGS and IBM Business Processes.
- Template of timesheet.
- Template of payment claim.
- Any other documents.
- Translation of the documents not yet translated into English
- Facilitation of the contacts with the relevant national agencies
- Organisation of travels and meetings with the relevant beneficiary agencies in case of need
Interested experts should send their CV with an indication of this announcement in the subject line of the email to EU4IBM_UA@icmpd.org.