Programme Analyst, Gender Equality and the Empowerment of Women
UN Women, grounded in the vision of equality enshrined in the Charter of the United Nations, works for the elimination of discrimination against women and girls; the empowerment of women; and the achievement of equality between women and men as partners and beneficiaries of development, human rights, humanitarian action and peace and security.
The UN Women Myanmar Country Office is based in Yangon, with offices in the capital Naypyidaw as well as in Mon, Kachin and Rakhine States. Under its Strategic Note 2019-2021, UN Women Myanmar focuses on delivering on the following interlinked programme areas underpinned by support for intergovernmental and normative processes:
- Women’s Leadership and Gender Responsive Governance;
- Women’s Economic Empowerment;
- Women, Peace and Security and Gender in Humanitarian Action and Disaster Risk Reduction.
Under Gender Responsive Governance, UN Women focuses on strengthening the capacity of the Myanmar national gender machinery at Union and State/Region levels to coordinate and mainstream the implementation of the National Strategic Plan for the Advancement of Women and on linking women’s civil society organizations with the gender machinery and national and local governance processes. The programme area is mostly implemented through the Promoting Democracy in Myanmar through Gender Responsive Governance project which is funded by the government of Finland.
The programme is implemented at Union level and in two States: Mon and Kachin.
Reporting to the Program Specialsit, Gender responsive Governance, the Programme Analyst contributes to the effective management of UN Women programmes in Mon State by providing substantive inputs to programme design, formulation, implementation and evaluation. The Programme Analyst guides and facilitates the delivery of UN Women programmes by monitoring results achieved during implementation and ensuring appropriate application of systems and procedures and develops enhancements if necessary. The Programme Analyst works in close collaboration with the programme and operations team, UN Women HQ staff, Government officials, multi and bi-lateral donors and civil society ensuring successful UN Women programme implementation under portfolio.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Contribute technically to the development of programme strategies in the area of gender equality and the empowerment of women at State level
- Provide substantive inputs to the design and formulation of programme/ project proposals and initiatives;
- Identify areas for support and intervention related to the programme.
- Provide substantive technical support to the implementation and management of UN Women programming in Mon State
- Provide technical inputs to the annual workplan and budget;
- Lead the implementation of programme activities;
- Support the coordination of the call/request for proposals, including the organization of technical review committees, and capacity assessment of partners;
- Review, coordinate and monitor the submission of implementing partner financial and narrative reports;
- Train partners on Results Based Management and monitor implementation.
- Provide technical assistance and capacity development on gender equality and the empowerment of women to project/programme partners at State level
- Coordinate and provide technical support in the implementation of programme activities; Develop technical knowledge products
- Maintain relationships with national partners at State level to support implementation and expansion of UN Women programming including in the fields of gender responsive governance and women’s leadership;
- Identify opportunities for capacity building of partners and facilitate technical/ programming support and trainings to partners, as needed.
- Provide technical and coordination support to State minister for social Welfare, DSW at State level, and Women’s Committees at State, District and Township levels
- Provide technical assistance and coordination support to other line ministries within the State governments and local authorities to ensure GEWE commitments are fulfilled
- Provide technical support to the drafting of policy positions and speeches on GEWE.
- Provide technical inputs to the monitoring and reporting of the programme/ project at State level
- Monitor progress of implementation of activities and finances using results-based management tools;
- Draft reports on monitoring missions, programme results, outputs and outcomes;
- Provide substantive inputs to the preparation of donor and UN Women reports on projects and programs implemented in Mon State.
- Provide substantive technical inputs to the management of people and finances of UN Women program in Mon State
- Monitor budget implementation and make budget re-alignments/ revisions, as necessary;
- rovide substantive inputs to financial reports;
- Supervise Programme Associates and Assistant, as needed.
- Provide substantive inputs to building partnerships and resource mobilization strategies
- Provide substantive inputs to resource mobilization strategies; analyze and maintain information and databases;
- Prepare relevant documentation such as project summaries, conference papers, briefing notes, speeches, and donor profiles;
- Participate in donor meetings and public information events, as delegated.
- Provide technical support to inter-agency coordination on gender equality at State level to achieve coherence and alignment of UN Women programmes with other partners in the country
- Provide substantive technical support to the Representative and Head of Programme on inter-agency coordination related activities by drafting background reports and briefs.
- Coordinate relationships with partners at State level to support implementation and expansion of the Governance Programme/Portfolio, raise potential problems and provide solutions;
- Represent UN Women at relevant interagency coordination meetings at State level as required and provide technical assistance for gender mainstreaming into development and humanitarian action
- Provide substantive inputs to advocacy, knowledge building and communication efforts
- Develop background documents, briefs and presentations related to UN Women program at State level;
- Coordinate and organize advocacy campaigns, events, trainings, workshops and knowledge products;
- Coordinate the development of knowledge management methodologies, and products on governance
Key Performance Indicators
- Timely and quality contributions to programme design and inputs to Strategic Note
- Timely and quality of programme delivery in line with budget and workplans, and in line with all UN Women operational rules and regulations, including security
- Timely and quality monitoring and evaluation of programmes
- Relations with partners and stakeholders
- Quality reports and timely submission
- Regular communication with other agencies and partners
- Quality of advocacy and communication initiatives
- Respect for Diversity
- Awareness and Sensitivity Regarding Gender Issues
- Creative Problem Solving
- Effective Communication
- Inclusive Collaboration
- Stakeholder Engagement
- Leading by Example
- Good programme formulation, implementation, monitoring and evaluation skills
- Good knowledge of Results Based Management
- Ability to gather and interpret data, reach logical conclusions and present findings and recommendations
- Good analytical skills
- Good knowledge of governance and/or Women, Peace and Security programming
- Good knowledge of gender equality and the empowerment of women
- Ability to identify and analyze trends, opportunities and threats to fundraising
- Demonstrated ability to provide technical support
- Knowledge and understanding of the Mon State context is an asset.
Required Skills and Experience
- Master’s degree or equivalent in social sciences, human rights, gender/women's studies, international development, or a related field is required
- A first-level university degree in combination with two additional years of qualifying experience may be accepted in lieu of the advanced university degree.
- A project/programme management certification would be an added advantage
- At least 2 years of progressively responsible work experience in development programme/project implementation, coordination, monitoring and evaluation, donor reporting and capacity building;
- Experience working on gender equality and women’s empowerment is required;
- Experience working on governance is an asset
- Experience in providing technical and coordination assistance to government, CSOs and development partners is an asset.
- Experience coordinating and liaising with government agencies and/or donors is an asset
- Experience working in Mon State is an asset
- Fluency in English and Myanmar is required