Technical Specialist, Gender Equality and the Empowerment of Women
Nay Pyi Taw (Myanmar)
UN Women, grounded in the vision of equality enshrined in the Charter of the United Nations, works for the elimination of discrimination against women and girls; the empowerment of women; and the achievement of equality between women and men as partners and beneficiaries of development, human rights, humanitarian action and peace and security.
The UN Women Myanmar Country Office is based in Yangon, with offices in the capital Nay pyi taw as well as in Mon, Kachin and Rakhine States. Under its Strategic Note 2019-2021, UN Women Myanmar focuses on delivering on the following interlinked programme areas underpinned by support for intergovernmental and normative processes:
- Women’s Leadership and Gender Responsive Governance;
- Women’s Economic Empowerment;
- Women, Peace and Security and Gender in Humanitarian Action and Disaster Risk Reduction.
Under Gender Responsive Governance, UN Women focuses on strengthening the capacity of the Myanmar national gender machinery at Union and State/Region levels to coordinate and mainstream the implementation of the National Strategic Plan for the Advancement of Women and on linking women’s civil society organizations with the gender machinery and national and local governance processes. The programme area is mostly implemented through the Promoting Democracy in Myanmar through Gender Responsive Governance project which is funded by the government of Finland.
The programme is implemented at Union level and in two States: Mon and Kachin.
Under the supervision of the Programme Specialist, Gender responsive Governance, the Technical Specialist provides direct technical support on gender to the Women’s Development Division, in the Department of Social Welfare, Ministry of Social Welfare, Relief and Resettlement, provides mentoring and coaching on gender to the Department of Social Welfare staff and supports the coordination of the four technical working groups under the Myanmar National Committee for Women.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Provide technical guidance and advisory support to the Ministry of Social Welfare, Relief and Resettlement (MSWRR) to strengthen alignment with CEDAW principles and other global norms and standards on Gender Equality and the Empowerment of Women
- Provide technical and advisory support to the development of annual work plans for the implementation of the relevant priority areas under the National Strategic Plan for the Advancement of Women;
- Provide technical support to the MSWRR (DSW) in coordinating UN and development partners support towards advancing Myanmar’s position to international, regional, and national commitments on gender equality, women’s rights and the empowerment of women and girls
- Provide technical ,advisory and policy support on international normative and intergovernmental processes including CEDAW, UPR, Beijing Platform for Action, UNSCR1325, the ASEAN Committee on Women, the ASEAN Commission on Promotion and Protection of Rights of Women and Children;
- Provide technical and advisory support to the work of the MNCW Technical Working Groups
- Provide technical assistance and coordination support to other line ministries to ensure GEWE commitments are fulfilled as needed
- Provide technical and logistical support in the design, development and implementation of capacity building activities;
2. Provide coordination support to the four technical working groups for NSPAW implementation in close coordination with the Women’s Development Department and Gender Equality and Women’s Empowerment Coordination Group (GEWECG)
- Review and identify bottlenecks in GEWE coordination and provide hands on assistance to strengthen coordination and promote coherence and consistency across all the TWGs and with other relevant GEWE structures and mechanisms;
- provide day to day guidance to the national staff provided under the four Technical Working Groups and ensure close coordination and harmonization between the TWGs In close coordination with the Programme Specialist,;. mentor the national staff and provide guidance, feedback and coaching as necessary.
- Strengthen DSW-led monitoring and reporting mechanisms, including development of tools and preparation of reports on the progress, achievements, gaps and challenges related to NSPAW implementation
- Prepare policy briefs, background documents, training material and other relevant information packages to inform DSW led policy and programming efforts;
- Provide technical support to the DSW with the development of tools for monitoring and reporting on the activities of the four TWGs and prepare annual reports and assessments of the work of the TWGs
- Prepare progress report and updates for the Secretariat of the MNCW
3. Provide technical inputs to the monitoring and reporting of the programme/ project
- Monitor progress of implementation of activities and finances using results-based management tools;
- Draft reports on monitoring missions, programme results, outputs and outcomes;
- Provide substantive inputs to the preparation of donor and UN Women reports
4. Provide substantive inputs to advocacy, knowledge building and communication efforts
- Develop background documents, briefs and presentations related to gender for DSW;
- Provide coordination support to advocacy campaigns, events, trainings, workshops and knowledge products;
- Provide technical support to the organisation and facilitation of lesson learning events including forums, as required;
- Participate in policy dialogues with national counterparts and provide technical advice on issues relevant to Gender and Governance, mainly pertaining to the implementation of NASPAW and relevant gender policies.
Contribute technically to the development of programme strategies in the area of gender responsive governance
- Provide substantive inputs to the design and formulation of programme/ project proposals and initiatives;
- Identify areas for support and intervention related to the programme.
Provide any other support as requested by the supervisor
Key Performance Indicators
- Timely and quality of programme delivery in line with budget and workplans, and in line with all UN Women operational rules and regulations, including security
- Relations with partners and stakeholders
- Quality reports and timely submission
- Regular communication with other agencies and partners
- Quality of advocacy and communication initiatives
- Respect for Diversity
- Awareness and Sensitivity Regarding Gender Issues
- Creative Problem Solving
- Effective Communication
- Inclusive Collaboration
- Stakeholder Engagement
- Leading by Example
- Strong knowledge and expertise on gender equality and the empowerment of women
- Strong knowledge and expertise on gender responsive governance
- Good programme formulation, implementation, monitoring and evaluation skills
- Good knowledge of Results Based Management
- Ability to gather and interpret data, reach logical conclusions and present findings and recommendations
- Good analytical skillsStrong communication and interpersonal skills
- Knowledge and expertise in Gender
- Demonstrated ability to provide technical assistance
Required Skills and Experience
- Master’s degree or equivalent in social sciences, human rights, gender/women's studies, international development, or a related field is required
- A first-level university degree in combination with two additional years of qualifying experience may be accepted in lieu of the advanced university degree.
- A project/programme management certification would be an added advantage.
- At least five years of progressively responsible work experience in development programme/project implementation, coordination, monitoring and evaluation, donor reporting and capacity building;
- Experience working on gender equality and women’s empowerment is required;
- Experience in providing technical and coordination assistance to government, CSOs and/or development partners is required.
- Experience coordinating and liaising with government agencies and/or donors is an asset.
- Fluency in English and Myanmar is required.