Livelihoods and Food Security (LFS) Specialist - Tehran Based - Iran Nationals Only
Rights Respected, People Protected
The Norwegian Refugee Council (NRC) is a non-governmental, humanitarian organization with 60 years of experience in helping to create a safer and more dignified life for refugees and internally displaced people.
NRC advocates for the rights of displaced populations and offers assistance within the shelter, education, food security, livelihoods, legal assistance, and water, sanitation and hygiene sectors. The Norwegian Refugee Council has approximately 6000 committed and competent employees involved in projects across four continents. NRC runs the world's largest standby rosters NORCAP, with 650 professionals, ready to be deployed on 72 hours’ notice when a crisis occurs.
NRC in the Islamic Republic of Iran
NRC started operations in Iran in 2012. We currently deliver humanitarian assistance in 9 provinces in the sectors of Education, Food Security and livelihoods, Water, Sanitation and Hygiene (WASH), Shelter construction, as well as Information, Counseling and Legal Assistance (ICLA). We co-lead several technical inter-agency working groups and provide capacity building to humanitarian partners in country. Next to our programs, NRC Iran also built an advocacy unit to develop joint messages and initiatives among INGOs to improve rights of the displaced. Following several recent breakthroughs, NRC Iran is scaling up substantially its activities in support of the Government of Iran efforts towards an estimated 3,6 million Afghans residing in country and is expanding its programme unit.
- Develop LFS strategy with focus on cash, technical guidance and Macro LFAs that are aligned with regional and global strategies and priorities
- Compliance with and adherence to NRC policies, guidance and procedures
- Contribute to fundraising, develop and revise funding proposal, budgets and donor reports
- Identify trends technical standards and donor priorities
- Follow up on compliance with contractual commitments within CC, ensure high technical quality and synergies in project implementation
- Support the consideration and inclusion of cash-based interventions and market based approaches within (and across) NRC core competency responses, where appropriate.
- Contribute to the institutionalization of cash-based interventions and market-based programmes though capacity building, guidance and SOP development and interdepartmental engagement.
- Overall responsible for the start-up and coordination of Livelihoods and Food Security Core Competency in the country operation
- Responsible for relevant technical appropriate and innovative development and the quality of response design in the country programme.
- Coordination with Partners and Co-chair the cash working group with UNHCR and also represent NRC in Livelihoods Working group
Responsible for doing technical, grants and coordination follow up for livelihoods and cash funded Projects
- Guide and support the implementation of the Livelihoods and Food Security response to the COVID-19 outbreak including Cash Based Assistance.
- Responsible for Livelihoods and Food Security contextual analysis including of protection risks and needs, as input to Country Strategy including Contingency Plan
- Responsible for facilitating livelihood vulnerability analysis across CCs informing joint programme responses
- Provide technical direction and project implementation support to Area Managers and core competency staff throughout the NRC’s operational locations in Iran
Generic professional competencies:
- Minimum 4 years of experience within technical expertise area in a humanitarian/ recovery context
- Experience from working in complex and volatile contexts
- Livelihoods and Food Security expertise
- Documented results related to the position’s responsibilities
- Knowledge and skills in market analysis, cash-based interventions and market-based programmes
- Knowledge about own leadership skills/profile
- Fluency in English, both written and verbal
Context/ Specific skills, knowledge and experience:
- Experience in the following areas:
Household and livelihoods vulnerability analysis
Food security assessments
Emergency Food assistance
Promotion of improved food production and processing
Market based approach/programming
School feeding and gardening
Income generation & diversification
- Experience with start-up is an asset
- Handling insecure environments
- Strategic thinking
- Empowering and building trust
- Initiate action and change
We can offer
Contract: 1 year with possibility of extension
Duty station: Tehran
Salary/Benefits: According to NRC’s salary scale and terms and condition