Head of Dev and Support Unit
Before submitting an application, UNHCR staff members intending to apply to this Job Opening are requested to consult the Recruitment and Assignments Policy (RAP, UNHCR/HCP/2017/2 and the Recruitment and Assignments Administrative Instruction (RAAI), UNHCR/AI/2017/7 OF 15 August 2017.Head of Development and Support Unit
Organizational Setting and Work Relationships
The UNHCR Data Transformation Strategy 2020-2025 envisions that by 2025 UNHCR becomes a trusted leader on data and information related to refugees and other persons of concern (POC), thereby enabling actions to protect and to empower them. The Strategy stipulates investing in four complementary priority areas: data management and governance; information systems; capacities and skill development; and culture for evidence-informed decision-making. The strategy envisages data and information management functions in UNHCR carried out in a complementary and inter-linked manner between Headquarters Divisions and Services, Regional Bureaux, country operations and key external partners, including persons of concern.
As part of the Digital Identity and Registration Section, the PRIMES Development and Support Unit will, in collaboration with the different Headquarter Divisions and Services, and the Regional Bureaux, coordinate the design, maintenance and support of PRIMES tools at a global level. The incumbent will ensure that PRIMES tools are functional, fit for purpose and available for UNHCR and partners¿ users, and that they are adequately documented and supported. S/he will also support the establishment of global approaches to develop, maintain and support registration and population data management principles, systems and tools.
The Head of Development and Support Unit will oversee the development and support workstreams. In close collaboration with the support team, Headquarter Divisions and Services, Regional Bureaux, operations and service providers, the development team will collect business requirements through client-facing design sessions and document procedures. The team will also ensure the end-to-end integration of business processes across PRIMES, establish a functioning testing process and ensure that the development documentation is integrated with the PRIMES learning programmes. The development team will identify and analyze gaps to facilitate the decision-making by Senior Management on resource allocation.
In close collaboration with the development team, Headquarter Divisions and Services, Regional Bureaux, operations and service providers, the support team will provide functional and technical guidance so that registration and case management activities are undertaken in line with Standard UNHCR Operating Procedures and Guidelines within the context of PRIMES. The team will also provide functional and technical guidance to ensure a consistent usage of the PRIMES tools across UNHCR operations globally. This will be achieved through the design and implementation of outreach activities and the development of training and reference material.
In the transition phase, and until the front-line user support functions can be transferred to the DIMA units, PRIMES Support will also continue to provide direct user support to PRIMES operations.
The incumbent will possess excellent leadership skills as the effective management of this large team is a key element. S/he will build and lead a team composed of experienced UNHCR staff in a way that ensures integration, coherence and synergy between UNHCR¿s agency role and interagency responsibilities.
All UNHCR staff members are accountable to perform their duties as reflected in their job description. They do so within their delegated authorities, in line with the regulatory framework of UNHCR which includes the UN Charter, UN Staff Regulations and Rules, UNHCR Policies and Administrative Instructions as well as relevant accountability frameworks. In addition, staff members are required to discharge their responsibilities in a manner consistent with the core, functional, cross-functional and managerial competencies and UNHCR¿s core values of professionalism, integrity and respect for diversity.
- Provide strategic vision and lead engagement with UNHCR¿s senior management for the design, development and support of UNHCR¿s global refugee system in the context of PRIMES.
- Lead the PRIMES development and support activities globally in collaboration with the different Headquarter Divisions and Regional Bureaux, specifically with the newly established DIMA units.
- In close collaboration with DIST and DIP, ensure that PRIMES tools are functional, fit for purpose and available for UNHCR and partner users and that they are adequately documented and supported.
- Support the operationalization and negotiation with government and UN partners related to interoperability of external systems with UNHCR refugee registration systems.
- Facilitate the process to design and implement a structured approach to continuous documentation of business requirements and development efforts.
- Oversee, in close cooperation with the Global Learning and Development Centre, that development documentation is integrated with training and learning programmes for PRIMES tools.
- Facilitate timely decision-making by Senior Management for the allocation of resources to development projects.
- Oversee the establishment of a functioning testing process where user stories, test cases and validation by business owners are done in an efficient and timely manner.
- Monitor and ensure that registration and case management activities are undertaken in line with Standard UNHCR Operating Procedures and Guidelines within the context of PRIMES.
- Oversee the functional and technical capacity development of staff in the DIMA units and of service providers, and the transitional provision of direct user support to PRIMES operations.
- Oversee the provision of technical and functional training and reference material are designed and are available to the PRIMES user community in the form of written guidance, webinars and training videos.
- Provide strategic guidance on the design and implementation of various outreach activities, including by identifying needs and facilitate resource allocation for the realization of support activities such as missions.
- Perform other related duties as required.
Years of Experience / Degree Level
For P5 - 12 years relevant experience with Undergraduate degree; or 11 years relevant experience with Graduate degree; or 10 years relevant experience with Doctorate degree
Field(s) of Education
or other relevant field.
(Field(s) of Education marked with an asterisk* are essential)
Certificates and/or Licenses
HCR Protection Learning Programme;
Certification Programme - International Protection (CP-IP);
Training on Emergency Registration;
HCR Operational Data Management Learning Programme;
(Certificates and Licenses marked with an asterisk* are essential)
Relevant Job Experience
Minimum 5 years of supervisory experience in an international, decentralized and/or multinational environment. Relevant work experience in the areas of systems development, business analysis and user support networks. Demonstrated experience building capacity for a diverse user community. Ability to effectively present complex information to all levels of management. Proven ability to prioritize various workstreams to ensure delivery of multiple tasks in a courteous and service-oriented manner in demanding working conditions that often have short deadlines. Knowledge of UNHCR and interagency policies, standards, programmes and humanitarian operations in a variety of geographical locations and operational contexts. Familiarity with planning, programming and implementation for humanitarian operations at the field and global levels, including strategic planning, project development, budgeting and resource mobilization. Demonstrated ability to innovate and design policies, structures and systems.
Knowledge of PRIMES ecosystem and tools.
PR-Civil Registry System;
MS-Drafting, Documentation, Data Presentation;
IT-IT Refugee Systems & Applications;
PG-Programme Management (project formulation, programme cycles and reporting standards);
UN-UN/UNHCR Interagency Policies, Standards, Programmes, Partnerships, Humanitarian Ops;
UN-UNHCR Operations, mandate, principles and policies;
EX-Field experience with UNHCR and/or with other humanitarian organizations;
(Functional Skills marked with an asterisk* are essential)
For International Professional and Field Service jobs: Knowledge of English and UN working language of the duty station if not English.
For National Professional jobs: Knowledge of English and UN working language of the duty station if not English and local language.
For General Service jobs: Knowledge of English and/or UN working language of the duty station if not English.
This is a Standard Job Description for all UNHCR jobs with this job title and grade level. The Operational Context may contain additional essential and/or desirable qualifications relating to the specific operation and/or position. Any such requirements are incorporated by reference in this Job Description and will be considered for the screening, shortlisting and selection of candidates. C001L4 - Accountability Level 4
C002L4 - Teamwork & Collaboration Level 4
C003L4 - Communication Level 4
C004L4 - Commitment to Continuous Learning Level 4
C005L4 - Client & Result Orientation Level 4
C006L4 - Organizational Awareness Level 4
M001L4 - Empowering and Building Trust Level 4
M002L4 - Managing Performance Level 4
M006L4 - Managing Resources Level 4
M005L4 - Leadership Level 4
M003L4 - Judgement and Decision Making Level 4
M004L4 - Strategic Planning and Vision Level 4
X005L4 - Planning and Organizing Level 4
X003L4 - Technological Awareness Level 4
X008L4 - Stakeholder Management Level 4
The UNHCR workforce consists of many diverse nationalities, cultures, languages and opinions. UNHCR seeks to sustain and strengthen this diversity to ensure equal opportunities as well as an inclusive working environment for its entire workforce. Applications are encouraged from all qualified candidates without distinction on grounds of race, colour, sex, national origin, age, religion, disability, sexual orientation and gender identity.
Please note that UNHCR does not charge a fee at any stage of its recruitment process (application, interview, meeting, travelling, processing, training or any other fees).
Please note that the closing date for advertisements in the Add.3 March 2020 Compendium is Thursday 9 July 2020 (midnight Geneva time).